Newbie needing input

Hi Zoey,

I would agree with Lisa on seeing Dr. Ortiz, if you have the funds to make that happen. If not maybe it is time to see a different doctor here in the states such as an infection control or wound management doctor. Something is not right. Have you ever been tested for latex allergy? Please keep us posted on what becomes of your situation.

Take care,

Dawn

When I had my plastic surgery they stitched me back up with stitches that were under the skin and the thread was dissolvable. Would that maybe be an option you could ask about? By doing it this way the stitches would remain until they dissolved on their own and would not need to be taken out and possibly help the wound to re-open. Not sure if you had stitches in the beginning or not.

When I had my plastic surgery they stitched me back up with stitches that were under the skin and the thread was dissolvable. Would that maybe be an option you could ask about? By doing it this way the stitches would remain until they dissolved on their own and would not need to be taken out and possibly help the wound to re-open. Not sure if you had stitches in the beginning or not.

That is a thought, when they took the first port out (when they said it was infected) they didn't stitch it at all, they left the wound open and I had to have it "packed" for about a month or six weeks. A visiting nurse had to come to the house every few days they had to take the packing out and repack it -- it was very painful and the incision was almost 4 inches deep. But, it did heal fine with no port and never re-opened. This new incision when they put the port back in they used glue and steri-strips for it so there were no stitches. I even asked the doctor if he stitched it up would that work (this as after the fact) and he told me that would make no difference.

I'm going to try and see a doctor here (in Arizona) who had seen me once in the ER a couple years ago before I was properly diagnosed with the port being un-attached. He was very nice and said he would see me. That will be a third doctor who has worked with the situation (2 in the states).

Thanks for your input.

Zoey:)

That is a thought, when they took the first port out (when they said it was infected) they didn't stitch it at all, they left the wound open and I had to have it "packed" for about a month or six weeks. A visiting nurse had to come to the house every few days they had to take the packing out and repack it -- it was very painful and the incision was almost 4 inches deep. But, it did heal fine with no port and never re-opened. This new incision when they put the port back in they used glue and steri-strips for it so there were no stitches. I even asked the doctor if he stitched it up would that work (this as after the fact) and he told me that would make no difference.

I'm going to try and see a doctor here (in Arizona) who had seen me once in the ER a couple years ago before I was properly diagnosed with the port being un-attached. He was very nice and said he would see me. That will be a third doctor who has worked with the situation (2 in the states).

Thanks for your input.

Hey Zoey, I am a nurse myself and I think what Lisa suggested might be a good idea for you. Dr. Ortiz might even be able to speak with you on the phone and tell you his opinion on consulting him or exactly what type of physician would be most qualified to help. Hang in there! also....I have done home health for years. I found it a little odd that your packing was changed by the nurse every few days instead of daily. Do you know what they were packing the wound with? Usually, packed wounds needs to stay wet to moist and can dry out if not changed daily.

I have read all the posts on this tread. If I were you this is exactly what I would do - as you do not want to risk getting some horrible infection and end up very very sick or worse. I would (even if I had to borrow the money) get my butt down to see Dr.Ortiz. Seriously. I think its gone on too long and I am pretty worried about you. I think you should call the clinic first thing in the morning and get down there as quickly as you can. I know this may seem harsh but honestly. I had a c-section scar that re-opened after 1 year and it ended up getting very infected after it wouldnt close properly for a few months of trying - I almost died. They ended up reopening the whole thing and cutting off some of the scar tissue and reclosing everything which finally helped. Obviously all these other doctors are not making anything better for you and you must be very frustrated. I am sure you could make it a quick trip - but really, you cant play with this stuff - GOOD LUCK and keep us posted

I have read all the posts on this tread. If I were you this is exactly what I would do - as you do not want to risk getting some horrible infection and end up very very sick or worse. I would (even if I had to borrow the money) get my butt down to see Dr.Ortiz. Seriously. I think its gone on too long and I am pretty worried about you. I think you should call the clinic first thing in the morning and get down there as quickly as you can. I know this may seem harsh but honestly. I had a c-section scar that re-opened after 1 year and it ended up getting very infected after it wouldnt close properly for a few months of trying - I almost died. They ended up reopening the whole thing and cutting off some of the scar tissue and reclosing everything which finally helped. Obviously all these other doctors are not making anything better for you and you must be very frustrated. I am sure you could make it a quick trip - but really, you cant play with this stuff - GOOD LUCK and keep us posted

I just want to thank everyone that has posted and given me advise or just given me support. I so appreciate it you cannot believe. I have been doing this alone, or nearly as I don't really have support of family and nobody is familiar with what I have been through. So at times, it is very hard on me and not knowing what to do. I really cannot afford (or borrow for that matter) the money to go to Dr. Ortiz, however, I will get into this other doc as soon as I can and if he thinks there is a big concern or something then we will cross that bridge when I get to it. This has been going on for over a year now. October, 2008 is when I had the surgery to re-attach the port and when it all started. Better now that it was last year as their was a lot of drainage, etc., but still in somewhat the same situation.

I really appreciate everyones honesty and openness with this and it isn't too harsh. I've thought about all these things and wonder myself at times. I guess you just get so used to it after awhile and then things don't seem quite so bad.

Thanks again and look forward to learning of all of your wonderful stories. I enjoy reading them so much. I need to get back to that point again with the band functioning and loose the weight that I gained back during all this bs.

Have a great night!

Hey Zoey, I am a nurse myself and I think what Lisa suggested might be a good idea for you. Dr. Ortiz might even be able to speak with you on the phone and tell you his opinion on consulting him or exactly what type of physician would be most qualified to help. Hang in there! also....I have done home health for years. I found it a little odd that your packing was changed by the nurse every few days instead of daily. Do you know what they were packing the wound with? Usually, packed wounds needs to stay wet to moist and can dry out if not changed daily.

Elizabeth

In the beginning it was every day, however, then they were packing it with "Select Silver" which only needs to be changed about every 3 days. There was no problem with this process and it healed nicely except that it took a long time and was very painful in the beginning.

Thanks for your help.