Help convincing my mom

So I am 16 and I am going to get the band. My mom was all for it untill my aunts, uncle, and grandma said that I have to do it in the states. ERRR. I would do it here but there is one slight problem, I AM NOT 18! and here you can't get it done unless your 18. So they want me get it done here, but in order for that to happen I have to wait till I am 18 (what a shocker). I don't want to wait that long because I want to try out for drill and cheer next spring so I can do it my Senior year. So will you all help me in convincing my FAMILY to get the band in Mexico!!!

You help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

thanx Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Have your mom visit this forum and read the many posts. I was banded a few days ago and my daughter, who is 21 was banded in January. If she had come to me with a convincing argument and a dedicated stance I would have allowed it at 16. I am a clinical manager for a healthcare facility and I carefully researched Dr. Ortiz. and his facility. All I can say is it is the best by far of other facilities I have researched including those in the states. When my daughter was 16 the band was not an option (not out yet), so to this day she regrets the wasted years of unhappiness with her weight in her high school years. I have to say though she still did go out and become a cheerleader, soccer player, and played soccer in college. The important thing is to not take this lightly and know that it is a tool, and you will have to do your part. So even if you have trouble convincing her, don't let that stop you from making the most of your high school years. As a mother of an overweight daughter, I hope yours listens to your concerns and feeling and that together you make the right choice.

Hi Sarah,

Have your mom visit this forum and read the many posts. I was banded a few days ago and my daughter, who is 21 was banded in January. If she had come to me with a convincing argument and a dedicated stance I would have allowed it at 16. I am a clinical manager for a healthcare facility and I carefully researched Dr. Ortiz. and his facility. All I can say is it is the best by far of other facilities I have researched including those in the states. When my daughter was 16 the band was not an option (not out yet), so to this day she regrets the wasted years of unhappiness with her weight in her high school years. I have to say though she still did go out and become a cheerleader, soccer player, and played soccer in college. The important thing is to not take this lightly and know that it is a tool, and you will have to do your part. So even if you have trouble convincing her, don't let that stop you from making the most of your high school years. As a mother of an overweight daughter, I hope yours listens to your concerns and feeling and that together you make the right choice.

Thank you so much... that is very encouraging for me and my fam... :D

So I am 16 and I am going to get the band. My mom was all for it untill my aunts, uncle, and grandma said that I have to do it in the states. ERRR. I would do it here but there is one slight problem, I AM NOT 18! and here you can't get it done unless your 18. So they want me get it done here, but in order for that to happen I have to wait till I am 18 (what a shocker). I don't want to wait that long because I want to try out for drill and cheer next spring so I can do it my Senior year. So will you all help me in convincing my FAMILY to get the band in Mexico!!!

You help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

thanx Sarah

Hi Sarah! You are very fortunate to have found Dr. Ortiz and be so on top of this HUGE life change. You are on the right track for sure! Being overweight is so difficult and compounded while in school. You mom sounds like she is supportive and hearing your hearts cry for help. Give her a big hug, bacause she loves you and wants good things for you. I know that when I told my family about the surgery, the hiccup was in the Mexico part too. (Which is so funny to me know.) They did there freak out. I explained to them, the information. (Which I don't think they heard much of due to the freak out part. Soooo, I emailed them some information, and links in a letter form. It outlined step by step the educated choice I was making. This way, when they checked up on the research I had done, they could see for themselves it was a good move. Knowledge is power. Plus it helps to give them somthing to calm there nerves.

They love you and that is why they are scared for you. We often fear what we don't know and they may have heard horror stories of surgerys gone bad. Dr. Ortiz is nothing short of amazing. My mom went with me because she was not going to let me go by myself... hee hee...I was 33 when I had the surgery. We had so much fun, it was like a mini vacation! In hind sight now, she would have allowed me to go by myself as her fears were releaved when she witnessed first hand how incredable and flawless the process was. Hind sight being 20/20.

I really hope your mom allows you to do this. I feel like I got 5 star care. Actually better than any care I had or have recieved in the US....which is sad because I live in the US. If you PM me your email, I will send you the letter I send to my family with some information so they could get a brief over view of why I choose what I did.

((Hugs))

Angie

• Like 1

I completely agree have her get in here and read as much as she can. There is also a youtube account for OCC and on there I remember seeing an interview with a teen and I believe their mother as well. I agree they are just worried for you - my family and friends did the same until they saw it. My mom was a nurse for 20+ years and still raves about the facility there. Just make sure you do your homework and go in with a good, educated argument on why you should go there.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi Sarah!

My daughter and I were banded by Dr Ortiz in February of 2008. She was 13 at the time. She lost 50 lbs in 9 months and has kept it off. She is now a sophomore in high school and is super active. It brings tears to my eyes to see how she has progressed with the lap-band. I hope your mother will reconsider and take you to OCC. They are changing peoples lives there. All the best to you. :)

actually there is nowhere else i would've preferred to have gotten banded at. ask you mom to log on and read the posts.. the OCC is not a hole in the wall or done at someones house. people get that impression when they hear Tijuana... but let her do research and if you can.. go visit the place. once you step foot in the facilities you will change your mom's idea. trust me. it happend with me and my family.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

SARAH--YOUR MOM HAS RESERVATIONS BECAUSE IT IN MEXICO, OR THAT YOUR 16? HAVE HER CALL ME, HAVE HER WAQTCH THE VIDEO'S ON UTUBE, SHE NEEDS TO READ THIS FORUM...LET ME KNOW IF SHE WANTS TO TALK TO ANY OF US...I AM SURE ANY OF US WOULD BE WILLING TO GIVE OUT OUR PHONE NUMBER IF SHE WANTED TO TALK.

THE OCC WAS VERY CLEAN, PROFESSIONAL AND THEY KNOW WHAT THE HECK THEY ARE DOING. I AM A RN AND HAVE WORKED IN HOSPITALS IN THE US THAT ARE NOT AS CLEAN AS THE OCC IS. THEY DON'T LET ANYONE IN THE BACK UNLESS YOU HAVE BOOIE COVERS ON. LINEN'S CLEAN, OPERATING ROOM CLEAN..I ASKED FOR A LOOK SEE IN THE OR SUITE....THEY DON'T HIDE ANYTHING. THE NURSES THAT HELPED OUT BY STARTING THE IV AND BEING THERE AT YOUR BECK AND CALL. THEY HAD ALL THE ADVANCED LIFE SUPPORT EQUIPMENT...

THEY PICK YOU UP AT THE AIRPORT AND TRANSPORT YOU STRAIT TO THE OCC. THEN THEY WILL TRANSPORT YOUR FAMILY MEMBER TO THE HOTEL FOR THE NIGHT AND THEN BACK TO THE OCC...YOU DON'T EVER HAVE TO SEE TIJUANA IF YOU DON'T WANT TOO. WE NEVER WENT INTO TJ. JUST TO THE OCC, HOTEL AND THEN HOME. I HAD NO COMPLICATION...NORMAL POST OP BELLY PAIN...MY HUBBY SAID I WAS IN AND OUT OF THE OR IN 20MIN. YOUR NOT OUT FOR VERY LONG.

I WOULD RECOMMEND THE OCC 100X'S OVER. I WOULD SEND MY 15 YEAR OLD THERE IF HE NEEDED IT...THE QUESTION I HAVE FOR YOU SARAH IS ARE YOUR MATURE ENOUGH TO HAVE THIS IN YOUR BODY AT 16...THERE ARE MORE FOODS THAT YOU MAY NEVER BE ABLE TO EAT AGAIN. THE BENFITS OUTWEIGH ANY SIDE EFFECTS YOU MAY HAVE. A LOT OF FOLKS CANNOT EAT THINGS LIKE BREAD...TWO BITES IS ALL I CAN EAT OF BREAD. TACO BELL, I EAT THE INSIDES OF THE TACO...

I WAS A 16 YEAR OLD MANY MOONS AGO...I STRUGGLED WITH MY WEIGH FOR YEARS, AND I PROBABLE WILL FOREVER. THE BAND HAS TAUGHT ME TO SLOW DOWN...I HAVE TO THINK BEFORE I SHUVE FOOD IN MY GULLET. PLUS, I NEED TO MAKE SURE WHAT GOES INTO MY BODY WILL NOURISH MYSELF. SO I DON'T EAT ALOT OF CRAP...READ DR. ORTIZ'S BOOK, AND MAKE YOUR MOM READ IT TOO.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ON YOUR MISSION.

KIM :unsure:

SARAH--YOUR MOM HAS RESERVATIONS BECAUSE IT IN MEXICO, OR THAT YOUR 16? HAVE HER CALL ME, HAVE HER WAQTCH THE VIDEO'S ON UTUBE, SHE NEEDS TO READ THIS FORUM...LET ME KNOW IF SHE WANTS TO TALK TO ANY OF US...I AM SURE ANY OF US WOULD BE WILLING TO GIVE OUT OUR PHONE NUMBER IF SHE WANTED TO TALK.

THE OCC WAS VERY CLEAN, PROFESSIONAL AND THEY KNOW WHAT THE HECK THEY ARE DOING. I AM A RN AND HAVE WORKED IN HOSPITALS IN THE US THAT ARE NOT AS CLEAN AS THE OCC IS. THEY DON'T LET ANYONE IN THE BACK UNLESS YOU HAVE BOOIE COVERS ON. LINEN'S CLEAN, OPERATING ROOM CLEAN..I ASKED FOR A LOOK SEE IN THE OR SUITE....THEY DON'T HIDE ANYTHING. THE NURSES THAT HELPED OUT BY STARTING THE IV AND BEING THERE AT YOUR BECK AND CALL. THEY HAD ALL THE ADVANCED LIFE SUPPORT EQUIPMENT...

THEY PICK YOU UP AT THE AIRPORT AND TRANSPORT YOU STRAIT TO THE OCC. THEN THEY WILL TRANSPORT YOUR FAMILY MEMBER TO THE HOTEL FOR THE NIGHT AND THEN BACK TO THE OCC...YOU DON'T EVER HAVE TO SEE TIJUANA IF YOU DON'T WANT TOO. WE NEVER WENT INTO TJ. JUST TO THE OCC, HOTEL AND THEN HOME. I HAD NO COMPLICATION...NORMAL POST OP BELLY PAIN...MY HUBBY SAID I WAS IN AND OUT OF THE OR IN 20MIN. YOUR NOT OUT FOR VERY LONG.

I WOULD RECOMMEND THE OCC 100X'S OVER. I WOULD SEND MY 15 YEAR OLD THERE IF HE NEEDED IT...THE QUESTION I HAVE FOR YOU SARAH IS ARE YOUR MATURE ENOUGH TO HAVE THIS IN YOUR BODY AT 16...THERE ARE MORE FOODS THAT YOU MAY NEVER BE ABLE TO EAT AGAIN. THE BENFITS OUTWEIGH ANY SIDE EFFECTS YOU MAY HAVE. A LOT OF FOLKS CANNOT EAT THINGS LIKE BREAD...TWO BITES IS ALL I CAN EAT OF BREAD. TACO BELL, I EAT THE INSIDES OF THE TACO...

I WAS A 16 YEAR OLD MANY MOONS AGO...I STRUGGLED WITH MY WEIGH FOR YEARS, AND I PROBABLE WILL FOREVER. THE BAND HAS TAUGHT ME TO SLOW DOWN...I HAVE TO THINK BEFORE I SHUVE FOOD IN MY GULLET. PLUS, I NEED TO MAKE SURE WHAT GOES INTO MY BODY WILL NOURISH MYSELF. SO I DON'T EAT ALOT OF CRAP...READ DR. ORTIZ'S BOOK, AND MAKE YOUR MOM READ IT TOO.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ON YOUR MISSION.

KIM :unsure: