Solid Food Breakfast Ideas

Hi Everyone,

Tomorrow will be my 22nd day post-op...YAHOOOOOOO! Certainly was the LONGEST 21 days of my life but alas I survived just like everyone else. Ok, so excited to get off liquids but kinda scared too. I started thinking about breakfast and got flustered? What can I eat?? I have been on a protein shake, protein smoothie, carb bar, etc for so long now (been on so many diets even before the pre-op stage) that I've almost forgotten options for breakfast. I have seen on the forum that scrambled eggs usually don't go down well...is that the same for all eggs?? Is cereal out? I'm guessing pancakes/waffles/muffins are a no-no even if they do go down. How about oatmeal? I know this sounds weird but I was puzzled. Don't get me wrong, the liquids only thing really sucked but I will miss the ease of grabbing a protein shake before heading out the door for work in the morning. Any ideas will be appreciated!

Christy

Hey,

I am still trying to figure the AM thing out four months post op..this is the hardest meal for me. Sometimes things go down OK than a week later they stick..so to play it safe I go with yogurt or rice/tapioca pudding I make myself in order to make it healthy. Also, cottage cheese with apple sauce seems to be a winner..

I will be going on solids in 6 days and have been wondering the same thing. Dr. Miranda told me if nothing else, yogurt and berries. But I have to say, I just looked at the tomato pie recipe and it does look yummy. Good luck

Cream of wheat, instant is always good too. They have one in the stores that has a good amount of protein too.

I also love greek yogurt, Thanks Angie for that one. She had talked about it and I investigated and found some really yummy ones with fruit. They have high protein and calcium. Good stuff!! Also help with getting your daily protein intake in, BONUS.

Now I just need to try to make Tomato Pie, I am not a baker, so not sure if I can pull it off, but from what everyone I know that has made it from Debbie's recipe, they all love it. :D Kudos Debbie!!!

I also love soft scrambled eggs, sometimes with cheese, sometimes without. Depends on the mood I am in.

Hi there. Quite a few of us did not experience much restriction immed. after the liquids phase, so you can explore a few options but definitely take it easy. Now you really have to learn to chew chew chew chew !

-Scrambled eggs should be fine til maybe after your second fill (im still fine w eggs)

-Baked: Quiche/fritatta

-Oatmeal w splash milk and raisins

-Cream of wheat

-plain yogurt with berries and a couple tablespoons of granola (my prev. nutritionist told me to always include something like nuts or a really crunchy granola or ceral with my yogurt, helps with staying full longer. sometimes i use light n fit yogurt with 1/4 cup of kashi go lean cereal. watch the sugar in granolas)

-smoothie w protein powder added or flaxmeal. you can put the berries/banana/etc in the blender at night before you to go to bed and in the AM when you're ready for brekkie just push on. milk/soymilk can boost the protein if you dont like protein powder.

-low-sugar cereals, like cheerios, kix, total, etc. but these dont keep me feeling full for long.

-handful of walnuts (my prev. nut told me this is the absolute best way to start the day, nuts provide protein and get your metabolism off on a good foot. add nuts to cereals or yogurt if you like)

every day of my life i eat a crustless quiche for breakfast. ham and cheddar, spinach and turkey, broccoli and bacon, etc. i bake a quiche once a week, cut it into six slices, and have a grab-n-go breakfast always ready. i warm it in micro at work and never feel tempted by the pastries or naughty things that occasionally show up around the office bc im already so full from my breakfast.

i always aim to keep my breakfast around 200 calories, with at least 16g protein. lasts me easily 4 hours til lunch.

hope this helps.

~Dama

Thank you all so much for your ideas. I thought the liquid phase would be the hard part but finding that this next stage will be the challenging part because I have to make good choices to make this band help me out. Even today, the first day back on solids...I can feel "fullness" very early into my meals so I am excited and hopeful that this might really help me. Can't wait to try out some new breakfast options. I think pancakes, sausage, etc are in my past...and not even feeling too bad about it!

Christy

I checked out one of the links I found for WLS recipes and found some adorable Bento boxes that will make eating "fun". I am splurging for them and thought it might make the preparation and portion control more fun. Just wanting to share the idea that I found.

Congrats on surviving your first 21 days!!!! I know it is rough but what a great feeling huh!!!!!!

Here are some things I have for breakfast - everyone is different and can handle certain things but these work for me.

Good luck!!

Cereal (I eat it dry out of a baggie) - my fave is fiber choice flakes w/ rasins

Eggbeaters with cheese (sometimes mushrooms if I have time)

Instant oatmeal

Sonic value menu breakfast burrito (no cheese) if I need to eat on the go

Protein shakes

Tomoatoe Pie was my secret weapon. Ate it every single day and never got tired of it. The recipe is on this forum under the recipes. Goes down easy and tastes yummy

Debbie

[/quote

Made it last night...................sooooo good! Thanks for the suggestion.

Christy