Diet????

I had my lapband done on Nov. 20, 2008...I lost around 90lbs, quite fast..I stuck with the Atkins Program, however I wanted to increase my vegies..and fruit...I have gained 30 lbs in only 3 months...I don't eat bread, pastas, potatoes, etc...no icecream..no gravies..What the hell......Here's the problem...with this hunger I eat lots of salads, eggs, cheese, nuts and seeds... hamburger...etc...What I need is a program that will keep me feeling full, especially for the evenings. I do plan on a fill...right now I have a 10cc and only 3cc...fill

Any suggestions...

just adding fruit and veggies to your diet shouldnt cause such a rapid gain, are you sure that is the only thing that has changed? are you eating more in general than before?

as far as fruit, what kinds of fruit are you eating? berries, apricots, plums, watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, and figs are all pretty low-carb and shouldnt throw you off. stuff like mango will though bc its incredibly high in sugar with very little fiber.

if you dont have much restriction, you're planning on a fill, and have only added higer carb fruits and veg to your diet, i wouldnt say its the carbs that are killing you but your portion size. are you food journalling? what kind of portion sizes of meats are you eating at each meal? 4oz, 5oz, etc?

ive been following a similar style to atkins plan. i eat around 1300 cal a day, get ~20g net carbs a day, and around 90g protein.

just adding fruit and veggies to your diet shouldnt cause such a rapid gain, are you sure that is the only thing that has changed? are you eating more in general than before?

as far as fruit, what kinds of fruit are you eating? berries, apricots, plums, watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, and figs are all pretty low-carb and shouldnt throw you off. stuff like mango will though bc its incredibly high in sugar with very little fiber.

if you dont have much restriction, you're planning on a fill, and have only added higer carb fruits and veg to your diet, i wouldnt say its the carbs that are killing you but your portion size. are you food journalling? what kind of portion sizes of meats are you eating at each meal? 4oz, 5oz, etc?

ive been following a similar style to atkins plan. i eat around 1300 cal a day, get ~20g net carbs a day, and around 90g protein.

Hi guys,

Question. First off how do you get in 90gr protein? I have tried and can't see to do it? I have been trying to follow the atkins..what is your plan? Are you loosing with it?

As far as gaining..it could be the sugar...in the fruit...my husband was a diabetic and any fruit or juice would raise his sugar levels..weight was not an issue for him though...I would call the OCC and talk with them after a few days of careful journaling to see if they have any suggestions..

Michelle, heres what I do:

breakfast - every day its a crustless quiche. each portion is ~200 cal, and has a min of 18g protein, and <4g carb.

lunch - around 350 cal. 4-5oz protein: flank steak, pork chop, salmon, snapper, chicken cooked w not too much fat. sides are always something green: 1 cup spinach w walnuts and blue cheese, broccoli sauteed in garlic chile flake and lemon juice, edamame tossed with parmesan and lemon juice, cauliflower tossed w olive oil and freshly grated ginger and roasted. 300-350 cal, <6g net carbs, min 25g protein

dinner - same, but i might add a second side, like roasted tomatoes or half an avocado. 300-400 calories, <6g carb, 25-30g protein

snack - 1/2 c greek yogurt, 1/2 c cottage cheese, 1 oz pecans or macadamia or sunflower seed kernels, an apricot, or a slice of flaxbread. snacks should have 150 cal, >5g protein, <5g net carb.

i follow this and always end up around 1100 calories, around 20g net carbs, and min. 70g protein, often more.

i think im having success bc i cook a lot. but i make things in bulk - half an hour making a quiche leaves me w six filling yummy breakfasts. if i buy fish, i buy at least 2 portions, cook them both, eat one and pack the other for lunch the next day. if im making beef chicken or pork i make a full recipe, 4 servings, and then i eat that for lunch the rest of the week. im completely off processed snacks/foods.

id be glad to provide any recipes if you'd like

Michelle, heres what I do:

breakfast - every day its a crustless quiche. each portion is ~200 cal, and has a min of 18g protein, and <4g carb.

lunch - around 350 cal. 4-5oz protein: flank steak, pork chop, salmon, snapper, chicken cooked w not too much fat. sides are always something green: 1 cup spinach w walnuts and blue cheese, broccoli sauteed in garlic chile flake and lemon juice, edamame tossed with parmesan and lemon juice, cauliflower tossed w olive oil and freshly grated ginger and roasted. 300-350 cal, <6g net carbs, min 25g protein

dinner - same, but i might add a second side, like roasted tomatoes or half an avocado. 300-400 calories, <6g carb, 25-30g protein

snack - 1/2 c greek yogurt, 1/2 c cottage cheese, 1 oz pecans or macadamia or sunflower seed kernels, an apricot, or a slice of flaxbread. snacks should have 150 cal, >5g protein, <5g net carb.

i follow this and always end up around 1100 calories, around 20g net carbs, and min. 70g protein, often more.

I would love the recipes, it all sounds yummy and I find that is half the battle. I just got banded AUgust 3rd and am on my first day of food... took it easy today and didn't eat salad or anything that seemed "rough" to my stomach... wanted to take it easy.. we'll see how long this lasts.

i think im having success bc i cook a lot. but i make things in bulk - half an hour making a quiche leaves me w six filling yummy breakfasts. if i buy fish, i buy at least 2 portions, cook them both, eat one and pack the other for lunch the next day. if im making beef chicken or pork i make a full recipe, 4 servings, and then i eat that for lunch the rest of the week. im completely off processed snacks/foods.

id be glad to provide any recipes if you'd like

there's a great book I like called the Instinct Diet- great recipes / plan- although I think it's more food then bandsters can handle. But a great over all guide with recipes, and I think it can be altered for bands.

good luck. I'm not banded yet and nervous about this kind of thing. but your loss is great, think of 2 lbs per week as a good average, anything more is gravy.

there's a great book I like called the Instinct Diet- great recipes / plan- although I think it's more food then bandsters can handle. But a great over all guide with recipes, and I think it can be altered for bands.

good luck. I'm not banded yet and nervous about this kind of thing. but your loss is great, think of 2 lbs per week as a good average, anything more is gravy.

Hi Damalove,

Thanks for your reply. Now that I am done with school I will be home weekends with the ability to cook more...I use some of the same types of foods you have mentioned. I would like more info about the crust-less quiche...that sounds like a great breakfast!! I have problems in the AM with breakfasts. I also like your ideas of having food ready for the week, especially since I work day and teach nights. I think this weekend I will give it a try..

Thank you!

Glad to share what's work for me. I never was a breakfast person before, but Ive really grabbed hold of hte good habit and its prevented me from mid-morning mindless snacking, ie pretzels cookies scones, etc.

I've posted to the Recipe thread some of my crustless quiche recipes, along with variations.

Take a look:

http://www.occforum.com/index.php?showtopic=12655

Here are some protein ideas, Michele:

Blackened fish - 5oz portion of salmon or other firm fish (I use snapper when its on special). Sprinkle both sides with blackening spices (you can buy mix at grocery store or make your own, google a recipe). Add 1 tsp oil to a nonstick pan that has been preheated over med-high heat. For skinless fillet of snapper, add fish, cook for 4 minutes, flip, cook an addl 3 minutes. Fish will still feel a bit soft, cooked to med-well. For skin-on salmon fillet, add skin side down, cook for 4 minutes, add a thin pat of butter (like 1 tsp) on top of fleshy side, reduce heat to medium, and cover, cooking an addl 3-5 minutes, depending how thick the fillet is.

Pork chops - Marinate 1 1/2 lbs pork chops overnight in mixture of 2 cups lowfat buttermilk, 2T salt, 2T sugar, 1T lemon zest, 1T fresh chopped rosemary, 1T fresh chopped sage. Grill.

Or, make a rub: 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 2T fresh chopped rosemary, 2T fresh chopped sage, 1T fennel seeds toasted and ground, 1T olive oil.

I like to do the buttermilk marinade/brine best bc it keeps it juicy. just remember, tiny bites! :)

Veg: whole head of cauliflower, cut into florets. toss wtih 2T olive oil, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp freshly grated ginger. Roast for 35 minutes in a 425° oven on a cookie sheet, tossing halfway thru cooking time. Broccoli, cut into florets, add 1T olive oil to pan, add 2 cloves garlic minced, 1/2 tsp chile flake, and broccoli. saute for 5 minutes. add juice of one lemon and about 1/3 cup water or chicken stock. cover and simmer for 5 -7 minutes until broccoli is cooked thru.

When im especially lazy/busy ill nuke a package of frozen shelled edamame and toss with 1T parmesan and juice of half a lemon. half cup serving has 7g protein and is 120 cal, really filling and yummy.

I would lose the word 'diet' from your vocabulary.

That's the reason most of us have been yo-yo dieting - losing & gaining weight our entire lives.

The band is a LIFESTYLE change.

Eating properly - proteins/carbs/fruits/veggie's is something your body will need, when you're on so FEW calories.

Those in the forum, who go for trends in dieting & fad's are the ones that are never successful.

You'll figure that our after watching this forum for a couple of years! ;)

wrong use of the word diet - no one is talking about fad diets except you. were talking about food plans, ways to get in the protein veg and avoid the white carbs.

i def. agree the fad diets, cookie diet, lemonade diet, etc are to be avoided.

wrong use of the word diet - no one is talking about fad diets except you. were talking about food plans, ways to get in the protein veg and avoid the white carbs.

i def. agree the fad diets, cookie diet, lemonade diet, etc are to be avoided.

Original poster said she was following The Atkins, and another poster chimed in about the Instinct Diet.

My post was trying to clarify what original poster was really asking ...

Which I'm not sure anyone understood.