Getting Worried....

Danana

Hey all,

I am 13 days away from surgery and 2 weeks into the pre-op diet. Lost 18lbs, gained 5 back already! How am I gaining weight when I am starving all the time? Most days have been fine and bearable but today was the worst day so far. Is it like this for everyone that goes through this or am I just making it rough on myself mentally? Friend's at work today ordered thai food for lunch (MY FAV) and had ice cream cake for our "birthday/anniversary" celebration for the month and I actually got pissed off. Me? Pissed off? A couple of my friends and boyfriend even tell me I don't need to go through this, they love me how I am. As much as I appreciate that, I don't like what I see in the mirror everyday. I have no idea whats going on with me but really hope I wake up to a better day tomorrow. I have not cheated ONCE and I refuse to start now! Are there any secrets or advice you guys can give me? When you guys had tough days, what got you through it? I would appreciate any suggestions you guys can give me. I want to succeed, not FAIL! :(

Which diet are you doing? Two shakes and a lean cuisine? I would have had a little Thai food instead of my lean cuisine. Don't suffer unnecessarily. What protein shakes are you using. Some "diet" shakes contain a lot of sugar and calories. Are you drinking water and exercising. Basically it's calories in, calories out. I just got banded in July but I have learned so much from reading others posts. Hope you get the answers that you are looking for.

Hey all,

I am 13 days away from surgery and 2 weeks into the pre-op diet. Lost 18lbs, gained 5 back already! How am I gaining weight when I am starving all the time? Most days have been fine and bearable but today was the worst day so far. Is it like this for everyone that goes through this or am I just making it rough on myself mentally? Friend's at work today ordered thai food for lunch (MY FAV) and had ice cream cake for our "birthday/anniversary" celebration for the month and I actually got pissed off. Me? Pissed off? A couple of my friends and boyfriend even tell me I don't need to go through this, they love me how I am. As much as I appreciate that, I don't like what I see in the mirror everyday. I have no idea whats going on with me but really hope I wake up to a better day tomorrow. I have not cheated ONCE and I refuse to start now! Are there any secrets or advice you guys can give me? When you guys had tough days, what got you through it? I would appreciate any suggestions you guys can give me. I want to succeed, not FAIL! :(

don't beat yourself up too much with the pre-op diet. I was worried that even after the band I wouldn't lose weight because It wasn't dropping off even though I wasn't eating. You'll go through fast and slow losses - just the nature of our metabolism.

After I hit my decision weight - I gained 15 more lbs before surgery. Luckily I lost 10 of those before I had to go in and get weighed - but I was heavier than when I signed up for the surgery. I think the OCC doctors understand why we're getting this surgery - because we can't lose weight consistently on our own. I don't think that if you gained some of your pre-op weight that they will turn you away.

As far as getting over the hurdles - as much as I hate to say it - it's WATER WATER WATER. I've been on plateaus for weeks and then really start hitting on drinking a lot of water and the scale starts moving again. I've never been a big water drinker but I do now just to see that scale move. You'd be surprised at how much we retain in water if we don't drink enough of it to move through our systems.

just hang in there.....it's a slow process for sure and you have to know you'll be in for the long haul to really see results that you're satisfied with. Be happy about the small goals you've reached

Hey all,

hm.

you're probably not going to like my response, but it's only going to get more challenging.

once you're banded, and at a sensible restriction level, you'll be done eating A LOT sooner than everyone else .. and you'll need to learn to push off remarks, or other people's comments in regards to what you're eating (or not).

That's probably the BIGGEST challenge of dieting.

Not eating, when everyone else is.

Food is used more as social time, rather than the 'eat for fuel' theory.

I can't eat pizza, fries, burgers -- McD's is now a forget about it food.

And I'm usually the one just sitting and watching others eat.

If I'm not hungry, I'm NOT eating, esp if it's eating out - you'd be shocked at the # of extra calories you're consuming by not preparing your own food.

Stop focusing on everyone else, and start being more self aware.

The big picture: food is emotional, and you need to get a handle on it.

it's usually a much larger issue that people realize prior to getting banded.

And many of us have seeked professional therapy to deal with it.

Stay away from 'take-out' parties at work.

Go for a walk.

And I don't go 'out' to eat.

That's what has worked for me.