LapBand -to- Gastric Sleeve

Hello Everyone my name is Ruth and I was Banded by Dr. Ortiz March 2008. I lost 55 pounds thus far and feel as if I'm stuck. Why do I say that? I say that because no matter what I do, I can't loose weight. At least not as fast as I think I should be. With this in mind, I've decided to go ahead with the Sleeve surgery. Like with any other surgery I'm nervous, anxious and scared. However very determined to overcome obesity.

I am 5'4" and currently at 215lbs. I have a bad back due to Disk Degenerative Disease and had a Spinal Fusion done in July 2009. The symptoms have subsided but due to the excessive weight I still experience pain. With all this being said, I have several questions for those who have had the sleeve surgery and those contemplating it.

How is your quality of life, now that you've had the sleeve?

How fast are you or did you loose the weight?

How much did you weigh prior to the sleeve surgery?

What are some of the reoccurring symptoms you are experiencing? ie: Gas, Constipation, Bloating, Mood-swings?

Has the surgery helped eliminate snoring?

Are the scars left behind from the surgery unsightly?

Have you experienced any hair loss?

What are some of the meals you eat that you've found to help you along the way?

Has anyone ever tried isopure plus protein drinks?

What liquid vitamins do you currently take? How do they taste? ie: B12, Calcium, Iron

Has anyone had Disk Degenerative Disease? Has this surgery alleviated the symptoms due to weight loss?

I have TONS of Concerns and Questions.

Thanks

Ruth

Hello Everyone my name is Ruth and I was Banded by Dr. Ortiz March 2008. I lost 55 pounds thus far and feel as if I'm stuck. Why do I say that? I say that because no matter what I do, I can't loose weight. At least not as fast as I think I should be. With this in mind, I've decided to go ahead with the Sleeve surgery. Like with any other surgery I'm nervous, anxious and scared. However very determined to overcome obesity.

I am 5'4" and currently at 215lbs. I have a bad back due to Disk Degenerative Disease and had a Spinal Fusion done in July 2009. The symptoms have subsided but due to the excessive weight I still experience pain. With all this being said, I have several questions for those who have had the sleeve surgery and those contemplating it.

What are some of the reoccurring symptoms you are experiencing? ie: Gas, Constipation, Bloating, Mood-swings?

What liquid vitamins do you currently take? How do they taste? ie: B12, Calcium, Iron

Has anyone had Disk Degenerative Disease? Has this surgery alleviated the symptoms due to weight loss?

Thanks

Ruth

Dear Ruth, I had my sleeve done in June this year. I started at 258lbs., got to Tijuana at 226lbs. left there at the same weight but arrived back in Thunder Bay Ont. the next day at 216lbs. Since then I have lost about 5 lbs. at a time with about 2 wks. in between so now I am 187lbs. I am a nurse and also have aback problem. I was seeing the Chiropractor 3 times a week--even on my way to the airport. My back has been fine since surgery and I'm back to my regular 5wk. maintenance appt. I am 65 yrs. old--I am not short of breath anymore,my ankles don't swell, my knees don't hurt,I can walk like I used to 25 years ago, I can paint my toenails without any trouble and pick up things much easier. I have so much more energy and I'm off my blood pressure pills. I used chewable Iron and the Calcium Citrate logenges and B12 sublingually until I started on soft foods then went to oral pills except for the B12. I added Vit C because it helps to prevent constpation which can be aggravated by the Iron.You will not be having anything done to your small bowel so you will absorb all the nutrients you get from foods only smaller amts.so it's important to eat things that are good for you.The Vit B12 is made in your stomach and since 2/3 of your stomach will be gone, it's important to stay on it.I am not having any problems with gas,bloating,constipation or mood swings. If I forget and try to eat too fast, I get alot of burping.If anything--I am euphoric at the way my health has improved in such ashort time. I use a CPAP machine to sleep.You should not have hair loss because of the surgery unless you lose a bit because of the anaesthetic but it should correct itself soon after unless you aren't getting enough vitamins and minerals. The discomfort is minimal. I was discharged to the hotel 24hrs. after my surgery and never took a pain pill. I walked down to the shopping center 1 day after that and felt great. I hope this helps you a bit. Don't hesitate to e-mail me again. Donna at drcatsx2@shaw.ca

Thanks

Ruth

I had the sleeve surgery July 12. I am 5'4" but with a small build. I started at about 189 pounds and was at 178 at the time of surgery. I am now at 147, 2 months after surgery, for a total weight loss of over 40 pounds. I am thrilled with my progress and feel so much better - more energy, no out-of-breath when I walk up the stairs, and fewer back problems. I have no visible scars and have no problems with gas, bloating, mood-swings, etc. I have to be careful to eat slowly and chew a lot. If I eat too fast or a bit too much, there is considerable discomfort and occoasional "sliming" but it generally goes away in an hour or so. Eating has been a bit of a learning process of listening to my body instead of my mind. But there do not seem to be any forbidden foods -- just forbidden amounts. I take a multivitamin with iron, B12, and calcium, but they are all in pill form. When I was still on liquids, I'd break them up into little pieces. My typically daily diet is oatmneal for breakfast, yogurt or cottage cheese for lunch and mid-day snack, and fish or poultry for dinner. I occasionally snack on a couple of raw almonds or sugar-free popsicles/fudgesicles. I work out at least 3 times a week, often 4 or 5 times. All in all, this has been an extremely positive experience. I am already down to a weight where I feel good and look good in clothes, and the weight continues to come off.

I hope this answers many of your questions. Let me know if you have any others; I'd be glad to answer any that I can.

Lisa

This is all pretty interesting! I got a lap band in April 2008. This year I was having trouble with my gall bladder and hiatus hernia and my lap band ending up slipping. I had to have it removed. Since May I've put back on 40 lbs. When I contacted the OCC about getting a new lap band they suggested I might want to try a sleeve instead. At first I said no, but now I'm wondering if it's the way to go. Hmmmm....? I'll be reading more about this (and saving my pennies for another surgery). Thanks for the info.