Bandster Hell

I'm scheduled for lapband in October and have been hearing about this term "Bandster Hell". It sounds as is there is little to no restriction, still hunger, no weight loss etc. Can anyone touch on this? Do you generally lose weight between the operation and the first fill? If so, is it moderate weight loss? I can handle about anything as long as I know what to expect. Thanks!

I'm scheduled for lapband in October and have been hearing about this term "Bandster Hell". It sounds as is there is little to no restriction, still hunger, no weight loss etc. Can anyone touch on this? Do you generally lose weight between the operation and the first fill? If so, is it moderate weight loss? I can handle about anything as long as I know what to expect. Thanks!

well from what i've been through... i only lost like 10 lbs from the date i got banded to my first fill. The reason why i hear people call it banster hell is because it's a period of time where you really have to start getting yourself into focus with your body. you have this band in you but no fill ... and well most of us don't feel any restriction. but the lucky ones do, from my observation, it's usually the people with higher bmi's.

well you know you are suppose to start your journey and knowing how to pick your food and eat healthy and drinking 45mins after you eat and all that jazz. pretty much you have to do this on your own... you gotta stop yourself from eating too much and picking the right foods, because when you do get your 1st fill and feel the restriction, it's gonna feel like you have no self control and constantly getting stuck and stuff... you really gotta practice your new lifestyle change. :)

• Like 1

well from what i've been through... i only lost like 10 lbs from the date i got banded to my first fill. The reason why i hear people call it banster hell is because it's a period of time where you really have to start getting yourself into focus with your body. you have this band in you but no fill ... and well most of us don't feel any restriction. but the lucky ones do, from my observation, it's usually the people with higher bmi's.

well you know you are suppose to start your journey and knowing how to pick your food and eat healthy and drinking 45mins after you eat and all that jazz. pretty much you have to do this on your own... you gotta stop yourself from eating too much and picking the right foods, because when you do get your 1st fill and feel the restriction, it's gonna feel like you have no self control and constantly getting stuck and stuff... you really gotta practice your new lifestyle change. :)

So I have been one of the extremely fortunate bandsters. I was banded on 8/3/10. I weighed 219 at surgery. My BMI was around 35. I have been losing steadily since surgery and now ~6 weeks post op am down to 194. So far I have found nothing that I do not tolerate but have restriction and eat very small meals. I follow the "rules" adamantly, lightly exercise (walk, Wii Fit and hike) every day. Have started lifted light weights during my exercise and will be starting Zumba this week. The hardest thing for me is no liquids with my meals and for 1 hour after. Anyway, that is my take on this. Hope it helps.

So I have been one of the extremely fortunate bandsters. I was banded on 8/3/10. I weighed 219 at surgery. My BMI was around 35. I have been losing steadily since surgery and now ~6 weeks post op am down to 194. So far I have found nothing that I do not tolerate but have restriction and eat very small meals. I follow the "rules" adamantly, lightly exercise (walk, Wii Fit and hike) every day. Have started lifted light weights during my exercise and will be starting Zumba this week. The hardest thing for me is no liquids with my meals and for 1 hour after. Anyway, that is my take on this. Hope it helps.

that is great! so happy for you. keep up the great work. I'm thinking about trying zumba since I plateu on my regular workout. I hate the group classes so im thinking about getting a dvd and doing it in my living room. :)

that is great! so happy for you. keep up the great work. I'm thinking about trying zumba since I plateu on my regular workout. I hate the group classes so im thinking about getting a dvd and doing it in my living room. :)

You could be me talking. Group exercise is just not for me. So I bought the DVDs and am doing it at home.

Widlee said "...well you know you are suppose to start your journey and knowing how to pick your food and eat healthy and drinking 45mins after you eat and all that jazz. pretty much you have to do this on your own... you gotta stop yourself from eating too much and picking the right foods, because when you do get your 1st fill and feel the restriction, it's gonna feel like you have no self control and constantly getting stuck and stuff... you really gotta practice your new lifestyle change."

I very much agree with this. I felt no restriction after the 21 days of liquid. I have a high BMI. The 21 days of liquid was the hardest part of this journey for me. What I have learned from reading the Forum is that everyone is so different. I lost a lot of weight on liquids, about 20 lbs. in 21 days. I lost 9 more lbs during the next 3 weeks before my first fill. With no restriction, I had to concentrate on portion control big time. I had to eat healthy. I could eat all the foods bandsters say they have trouble with. I could eat bread, tortillas, mashed potatoes, rice, pizza etc. Even though I could eat these foods, I ate very, very, little of them because they are fattening.

I had 4.5 cc's put in with my first fill. The first few days on solids, I slimed 3 times. Once on bread, once on organic pizza with a thin cracker like crust and once from not chewing chicken breast enough. Anyway, the term "Bandster Hell" refers to the 3 weeks following liquids before your first fill, when most bandsters feel no restriction.

Widlee said "...well you know you are suppose to start your journey and knowing how to pick your food and eat healthy and drinking 45mins after you eat and all that jazz. pretty much you have to do this on your own... you gotta stop yourself from eating too much and picking the right foods, because when you do get your 1st fill and feel the restriction, it's gonna feel like you have no self control and constantly getting stuck and stuff... you really gotta practice your new lifestyle change."

I very much agree with this. I felt no restriction after the 21 days of liquid. I have a high BMI. The 21 days of liquid was the hardest part of this journey for me. What I have learned from reading the Forum is that everyone is so different. I lost a lot of weight on liquids, about 20 lbs. in 21 days. I lost 9 more lbs during the next 3 weeks before my first fill. With no restriction, I had to concentrate on portion control big time. I had to eat healthy. I could eat all the foods bandsters say they have trouble with. I could eat bread, tortillas, mashed potatoes, rice, pizza etc. Even though I could eat these foods, I ate very, very, little of them because they are fattening.

I had 4.5 cc's put in with my first fill. The first few days on solids, I slimed 3 times. Once on bread, once on organic pizza with a thin cracker like crust and once from not chewing chicken breast enough. Anyway, the term "Bandster Hell" refers to the 3 weeks following liquids before your first fill, when most bandsters feel no restriction.

stupid neewbite question but what does "I slimed 3 times" mean? Is that like the term frothing I have heard?

• 2 weeks later...

I am on day 10 post op. I have felt restriction and have lost some weight this first week. I think the biggest struggle for me has been the mental hunger and watching my family continue to eat normal. While the band may provide some pysical restriction, it doesn't help you with the psychological aspect of not being able to over eat or eat whatever's in sight. Some kind of a support group may help you. You go through a mourning period. Your best friend "excessive unhealthy food" has died and now you have to replace it with your new best friend "controlled healthy food". It's a journery and not an easy one. Good luck to you!

I was thinking of starting a weekly phone support group where other bansters can call in to share experiences, struggles and successes. Anyone interested?

I'm still on liquids so I havent experienced it, but I think slim is like - you know just before you puke - your body start secreting like a bile like substnce - it's not a puke I don't think, but you run to the sink and have to spit. I shouldn't answer things I haven't experienced, but they way people describe it that's what I think it is

It has been BANDSTER HELL!!! for me I realized now that I have an addiction to food. It has been so hard watching everyone around me eat like normal.I at times just want to give up and eat, I wish it wasn't as hard. Has anyone else had these same problems?

Yes Susie I have had the same problems. I know what you are going through is so hard! There were days I cried because I didn't know how to handle life without food as a crutch. Please don't give up. I haven't been very strong in the past and have given up on dieting or rather given in to food. This is the first time in my life I have stuck with any lifestyle change. I feel so much better about myself. For me, I pray alot for strength and it helps. If I can do this, I know you can too. Stay strong and know that others understand how hard it is! It does get easier in time when you see your success on the scale!

Yes Susie I have had the same problems. I know what you are going through is so hard! There were days I cried because I didn't know how to handle life without food as a crutch. Please don't give up. I haven't been very strong in the past and have given up on dieting or rather given in to food. This is the first time in my life I have stuck with any lifestyle change. I feel so much better about myself. For me, I pray alot for strength and it helps. If I can do this, I know you can too. Stay strong and know that others understand how hard it is! It does get easier in time when you see your success on the scale!

Yeah that's how it's been for me I have been angry one minute and then in tears the next. It is so hard, but I really appreciate the positivity of your message Thank you very much