chewing food til liquid ? why ?

stacv

this may sound like a stupid question, but i just don't get this. why are we suppose to chew until food is liquid since liquid is what passes so quickly ? i thought the whole point of the band was to get food to sit in the pouch to make a feeling of fullness. so then why don't we just chew until chewed then swallow so it can sit ? am i making any sense ?

I never heard that before. I just know when it comes time to do solids we have to chew 20-30times before we swallow so nothing gets stuck? I am day 13 post-op and hungry all the time! I really hope 21 days hurry up so I can chew something!

• 1 year later...

Well, as one who even now get reminded in the most unpleasant way, you have to chew your food to get it to fit through your band. Just last night I thought I could have a potato skin at a student pot luck..I even chewed it the 20+ times...heck no, add that to the "not for me" food list. You too will start discovering foods that no matter how much you chew you cannot tolerate. To this day I miss one of my most favs...Steak!! I almost choked to death even with the 30 chews.

• 3 weeks later...

I know you aren't suppose to drink with meals but I have always had a dry throat and have to have a sip sometimes just to swallow anything. I do chew better now but once in awhile forget and take too large a bite and have to get a sip of water to moisten it so it will go down. I am 5 weeks post op and have never had anything get completely stuck yet or come back up. Will be getting a fill next week hopefully and will see if that changes anything. I am really afraid of geting it too tight and being miserable but am not losing weight since I started eating real food the last 2 weeks. I have stayed the same.

• 1 month later...