Lower BMI Lap Band Support

I am currently scheduled for surgery in December, with a BMI of 29.3.

I was wondering if there are a lot of people getting the band with a BMI near 30, and how the results compare to higher BMI's.

Does anyone have any information they can give me?

I was wondering if there are a lot of people getting the band with a BMI near 30, and how the results compare to higher BMI's.

Hello,

Your question brings up many stipulations. First, we would have to know what your ideal BMI would be. But from my experience...I went in to surgery with a BMI of 41.7. I was greatly overweight. For the most part, people with higher BMI's will lose weight faster than a person with a lower BMI at first. It also depends on what type of diet you chose for yourself after surgery and the amount of exercize you do. I have lost a bit over 60 lbs now. I have greatly changed my eating habits and have increased the exercize. I could increase the exercize more now. I have learned the rules of the band. Eat slowly...eat proteins first, the veggies, then carbs. I often find that I have no room for carbs. Also, I find that I can not eat more than approximately 3 ounces of protein for each meal. Dr. Ortiz was great spending time with me prior to the surgery and I was able to find answers to questions I had at that time. Plus..you will see that there are many good people on this site with some very valuable information.

I hope my input helps. I know I am very happy with the results I have had. I was also very impressed with Dr. Ortiz, his knowledge, professional staff and just the entire experience I had. Best of luck to you and please keep us posted as to your success.

My Best,

Appy

I HAD A LOWER BMI AND DID JUST FINE, JUST FOLLOW THE RULES :)