Body image?

One of the members posted that some people said she had lost enough. That led me to think about what happened to me years ago. I went on Nutri System and lost about 65 pounds. I am 5'9" and when I got to about 170 (size 12) the men started to comment that I could stop now, I had lost enough. Strangely though the women agreed with me when I said I wanted to lose another 10 pounds. I have a large frame so if I drop to 150 I look gaunt and sickly. I wonder how much females are influenced by what we see in the magazines that we read. We, the women, seem to take our cues from the fashion and modeling industry whereas men just know what they like women to look like.

I know that being healthy should be #1 in everyone's book yet that doesn't mean we don't also want to look good. It's just an observation I've made and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed anything during their weight loss or if anyone has any opinions about what an influence our society has on us.

Personally i think pop stars and fashion magazines to influence women to much. I myself love a woman with a little bit of meat on her and some curves, Some of them women in magagizines look like there ribs and spine are going to bust through there skin.

I like it

I understand what your saying. My husband keeps telling me that if after the surgery, I start to lose too much that he'll make me go "unfill" lol. Of course, I'd LOVE to look like the girl on the cover of Sports Illustrated...but that'll never happen...it's not my body type. But yea..I think we're all somewhat influenced/driven to look like the super models and actresses we see.

The hard part for me is to see the size I actually am when I look in the mirror. I wear a size 12, but when I look in the mirror I still see that person that wore the size 20-22. I hear the comments from my friends that I am going to blow away, but I still see myself as huge. It is a mental image I have to work on.

The hard part for me is to see the size I actually am when I look in the mirror. I wear a size 12, but when I look in the mirror I still see that person that wore the size 20-22. I hear the comments from my friends that I am going to blow away, but I still see myself as huge. It is a mental image I have to work on.

that's me too. One co worker looked at me the other day and said "you're a medium size now, I said/thought not quite/no way in bleep. Came home tried some of my old medium clothes and quess what - they fit. I am giving my larger size clothes away as they get big on me, so I am not seeing them ever again.

I think all of us have been fed a bill of goods. The advertising companies are very aware that the woman they have in the adds aren't the typical men's favorite bodies. They don't advertise to men, they try to capture women and make them think this is what men like. It's so difficult. I remember as an early teen being so embarrassed that my levis were 32" waist and I weighed 140. I thought the only way to be skinny was to wear a 26" waist levi. - then many lbs and years later I remember thinking this girl had like the perfect body, and I saw her levi tag, that weren't particularly baggy and she was a 32" I almost fainted. Of course every single size I have been I have said you are so fat. I am really hoping now that I am above 270 that I can lose that mental idea that I am fat no matter what. This idea is a big fear of mine. My husband is very level headed about this and I hope he can help. He also likes the curves even though he is like a bean pole LOL. Anyway I just thought I'd tell you I appreciate the wake up call, because I keep telling myself, oh if I were size 12 I"d be so happy. But I know now it will take more work then I think.

One of the members posted that some people said she had lost enough. That led me to think about what happened to me years ago. I went on Nutri System and lost about 65 pounds. I am 5'9" and when I got to about 170 (size 12) the men started to comment that I could stop now, I had lost enough. Strangely though the women agreed with me when I said I wanted to lose another 10 pounds. I have a large frame so if I drop to 150 I look gaunt and sickly. I wonder how much females are influenced by what we see in the magazines that we read. We, the women, seem to take our cues from the fashion and modeling industry whereas men just know what they like women to look like.

I know that being healthy should be #1 in everyone's book yet that doesn't mean we don't also want to look good. It's just an observation I've made and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed anything during their weight loss or if anyone has any opinions about what an influence our society has on us.

I am not sure if you were referring to me or not, but I had mentioned how Dr. Acosta and my friends and family tell me I do not need to lose anymore weight. Body image is a huge ordeal to me. I will never have the perfect body nor do I dream about having one. I struggle with what I think other people see and what I think I see when I look in the mirror. I am 165, wear a size small shirt and just purchased my first size 6 skirt this weekend. I was so excited that I told one of my gf's about it. She then told my really thin gf's I bought a size 6 and I just felt weird. I felt like they were looking at me like, "yeah right, your a size 6?" One of them even mentioned that she wears a size 4. Of course my next statement was "Oh, Express must run big then." I think it is going to take a long time to catch up mentally, but I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who feels like this.

Interesting ... I'm 5'9", and at 145lbs, I've had a few 'enough with the weight loss' comments over the past couple of weeks.

The stop losing weight comments came from both males and females.

I don't feel like I'll ever be able to look in the mirror and feel fully content.

• 1 month later...

Interesting ... I'm 5'9", and at 145lbs, I've had a few 'enough with the weight loss' comments over the past couple of weeks.

The stop losing weight comments came from both males and females.

I don't feel like I'll ever be able to look in the mirror and feel fully content.

I to struggle with the what I think is correct stopping point versus what people are saying. I have lost over 60 lbs so far but feel I still have at least 25 more to go. Almost everyone I try and ask, say that they think I should stop where I am at. I am down to 179 and am wearing size 10 or 12. I am 5'8 and really want to go lower. it is a struggle to stay to what I want as I am worried that perhaps I will look gaunt (that is, if they nay sayers are correct).

• 4 months later...

Canuk, I know what you mean about wanting to always be just a bit thinner. There's that fine line, and yes the media has made it fashionable to be deathly skinny. However, these models are very young girls and their bodies can take that stress. Being very thin has its disadvantages as far as our hearts are concerned. Our hearts are a muscle that need to be nourished well to continue to beat regularly. I've been thin and I've been heavy and have gotten comments all through the spectrum. People will always give their opinions, but what my body says to me is what's most important now.

Canuk, I know what you mean about wanting to always be just a bit thinner. There's that fine line, and yes the media has made it fashionable to be deathly skinny. However, these models are very young girls and their bodies can take that stress. Being very thin has its disadvantages as far as our hearts are concerned. Our hearts are a muscle that need to be nourished well to continue to beat regularly. I've been thin and I've been heavy and have gotten comments all through the spectrum. People will always give their opinions, but what my body says to me is what's most important now.

Thank you for your input. Since my post, I have gotten down to a size 9 and feel this is where I want to "live". I have been able to maintain at this since Christmas with little to no issues. I walk about 5 to 10 miles a day and use my incline trainer on days that I can manage the time. I primarily wanted the trainer for when the weather does not cooperate to walk. Again thanks for your thoughts.

• 6 months later...

This is an interesting post. I also found that men hounded me about stop loosing Debbie you look good and we dont want you loosing too much. It did not help that I work with doctors everyday. Of course women understood wanting to lose just 10 more pounds. With mixed messages I had to be careful because I thought hell if doctors think I am doing well then and don't have to lose maybe it is okay to have that dessert etc etc etc. Before I knew it i had put on 10 pounds. Everyone things I look great but I feel like a looser because I gained.

We have to be careful to have the right motives for loosing and not let anyone else influence us. If I had not listened to the doctors I probably would not have gained any weight back. But because they were doctors I felt it was okay to go a little crazy. Needless to say I am paying for it now as I have to lose that extra 10 pounds. Listen to yourself. Have a healthy goal set by your doctor and the stick with that. Don't listen to what someone else tells you should weight or look like . Learned the hard way :)

Deb - thank you for the post. This is something I struggle with and I also have allowed a few pounds to creep back on after continually hearing that "friends" thought I was getting too thin. I am now, thanks to other OCC WLSers, exploring the issues I have to control this. Mindless eating is something I have to be soooo aware of. Stress eating is also one of my major issues.

It was great to see you on the posting again.

Thanks . I check in every day but I find so many of the posts now are about the sleeve so I have nothing to post re that . I remember when I first got banded and before this board was soooooooooooooo helpful to me. Now I miss all the old gang who like me probably read but don't post anymore because most of the postings are about the sleeve and not the band.

I am still here though :)

• 1 year later...

It is really happening in now a days.women are very much influenced by models and magzines,sports illustrations.that is not spose to happend in real life.Honestly for me being healthy is number 1 periority for me than any thing alse.though u can look like barbie doll by spending money and thanks to modren technology but by being honest ask your self is that really You?

Body image for me is a lilttle meaty and healthy for a women.