Info on FLAX SEED

EricaG

Flaxseed Nutritional Value

Whole flax seed (ground meal, powder or intact seed) contains 28% dietary fiber, (7 – 10% soluble fiber, 11 - 18% insoluble fiber), 40% fat (73% of it being polyunsaturated fatty acids), and 21% protein. Other flax seed nutrients include vitamins E and B, sterols, and mineral nutrients such as calcium, iron, and potassium. More than 50% of the fat in flax seed is an essential fatty acid called omega-3 fatty acid (alpha-linolenic acid, ALA ), which makes flax seed the richest plant source of omega-3 fatty acid. Flax seed is rich in antioxidants, such as lignans (also a phytosterogen) and other phenolic molecules. Unlike the ground meal and powder, flax seed oil contains no dietary fiber.

Benefits of Flaxseed in Human Health

The above list of nutrients renders flax seed to have beneficial effects on human health. The high dietary fiber in flax seed, due to its high water-holding capacity and low digestibility, increases the bulkiness and gastric emptying of stool. This in effect helps relieve constipation and other irritable bowel syndrome. Lignans, which are antioxidants, are also associated with lower serum cholesterol and may help reduce oxidative damage to cells and cellular molecules from free radicals. Flax seed may also lower blood glucose and improve insulin tolerance (diabetes). Whole flaxseed (powder and ground meal) may also reduce serum total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol. Flaxseed can also reduce some markers of inflammation, and raise serum levels of the omega-3 fatty acids, ALA.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i love flax seed :) i make flax bread regularly. i prefer the golden flax for color and flavor but the regular flax is much easier to come by. its cheapest to buy it in whole seed form and then use a (dedicated) coffee grinder to grind it to flaxmeal. keeps longer in whole seed form too. i once read somewhere that the body doesnt take nearly as much nutrition from whole seed (if you were just to put 1T in cereal or something) as they pass wholly undigested. not sure if its true, but regardless i always use it ground.

thanks for the post, erica!

Thanks for the info. I use Bob's Red Mill when cooking but I will try the tip of keeping it in the fridge. I also look for healthy food choices that contain flaxseed, like my new found tortilla chips. I also just made my family pancakes with flaxseed and they were pretty good. I am still having trouble with adding in protein..but just have the liquid form as needed for now. I am also trying out a new program starting the 4 of November to address my new busy lifestyle and hope it works. This plan has prepackaged, fresh organic foods, delivered to your door on a weekly basis. By working day and night I have found I am finding little time to eat properly (meaning healthfully) and I hope this helps..I live alone so I don't want to cook or eat at 11 PM when I get home...I will let you know how it goes, I am trying the three week trial plan. Keeping giving us those healthy hints!

Thanks for the info. I use Bob's Red Mill when cooking but I will try the tip of keeping it in the fridge. I also look for healthy food choices that contain flaxseed, like my new found tortilla chips. I also just made my family pancakes with flaxseed and they were pretty good. I am still having trouble with adding in protein..but just have the liquid form as needed for now. I am also trying out a new program starting the 4 of November to address my new busy lifestyle and hope it works. This plan has prepackaged, fresh organic foods, delivered to your door on a weekly basis. By working day and night I have found I am finding little time to eat properly (meaning healthfully) and I hope this helps..I live alone so I don't want to cook or eat at 11 PM when I get home...I will let you know how it goes, I am trying the three week trial plan. Keeping giving us those healthy hints!

Oh wow that's great. Let us know how that works out for you..

I'm a sucker for things that are made with flax seed too..lol but you know whatt!! I never added them into my pancakes!!And that's a great way to fool my bf into eating it..LOL he think's it's gross. I usually just drink it with some juice or in my yogurt. I'm glad you guys are giving me all these extra little ideas.