Need help deciding

Hi

I am scheduled on Jan 21st for the lap band. I'm thinking of doing the plication instead. I'm 65 lbs overweight. Anyone have any thoughts between the two. It was an easy decision for the lap band. Then I started researching alot mire and am thinking going the other way. What helped you guys make the final decision.

I had the plication done dec 2. I am feeling great. No heartburn, i haven't been sick My reasons were: I would have a five hour drive to the nearest city that would do fills, so there isn't the extra expense for travelling and paying for the fills. Plication is also reversible if it was needed. It seems that a lot of people slip their bands and that won't happen with plication. Hope this helps you out.

Thanks. That does help. I was thinking the same thing.

on the other side of the coin, I as wells as quite a few others on this forum got the band, never needed fills and have lost the weight we wanted to lose with no issues. Just wanted to give you as much data as you need.

on the other side of the coin, I as wells as quite a few others on this forum got the band, never needed fills and have lost the weight we wanted to lose with no issues. Just wanted to give you as much data as you need.

Plication is only reversible for the few days. After that, it is not reversible. I was at OCC just last week and they had the new signs up about plication and one of the things it advertises is that it can be reversed. Upon further questioning, it is not. Don;t know if that plays a factor in your decision or not. I had the lap band in May 2010 at OCC. I probably would have went with plication just to avoid the fills. Good luck with your journey!!

From all of the stories I heard prior to surgery, I was glad I chose the Plication route. Two of the folks there were having the band removed and having the Plication procedure done. I had my procedure done last Wed, back in the hotel the next day, and flying out this morning. Everything is fine so fare. Dr. Ortiz will make you feel at ease prior to the surgery. I was very confident I made the right choice after speaking with him.

Good luck!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have the lap band and haven't been very pleased with the results. I know I've only had it for 3 months and I'm going to be getting my 2nd fill this week. If I had it to do over again, I would have selected the gastric plication. As soon as I can save up more money, I am having this damn band removed and going the plication route. I hate fills, stuck food, pb'ing and sliming! I associate my lap band with having my jaw wired shut. Sometimes you can't eat, but you are starving! I hate that feeling!

I can tell you that when I originally started this journey - I wanted a lap band for the main reason that I didn't want to mess with the anatomy but I wasn't thrilled about having a foreign object and having fills/defills. I knew I needed to do something, so I kept researching. When I stumbled upon the plication procedure - it just seemed like the perfect fit for me and my busy lifestyle. It seemed to be the most natural solution. I could eat limited amounts just like the band, however I really wouldn't have to worry about band slippage and band erosion (that scared me - the complications could be devastating, not to much extremely damaging). Although the long term outcomes of plication are yet to be known - it made the decision so much simpler! I researched as much as I could via the internet, posted questions here, attended a webinar and read everything I could get my hands on.

I was sold! I am having a plication done Feb.9th and the choice was simple for me. Good luck with your decision, just make sure it works for you is the best advice I can give at this point. ;)

Hi

I am scheduled on Jan 21st for the lap band. I'm thinking of doing the plication instead. I'm 65 lbs overweight. Anyone have any thoughts between the two. It was an easy decision for the lap band. Then I started researching alot mire and am thinking going the other way. What helped you guys make the final decision.

Jane,

Did you end up with the Lap Band or the Plication? Hope all is going well post op for you.

Wow, You never needed a fill at all? I had no idea that some people never need fills.

Wow, You never needed a fill at all? I had no idea that some people never need fills.

There are a few of us that have never had a fill. Some on this forum lost all of their weight without ever getting a fill. The most awesome I remember is a woman that has reached goal (actually I think under goal, 147 lbs) without a fill. I am nearly at goal and as such beleive I will be able to do it without a fill as well. Right now I am working on toning and think that it will get me over the last few lbs/inches to my goal. All that said, I am so sorry you are having so many issues. Hang in there, I have faith that things will turn around for you as you travel on this adventure. If there is anything I can do to help, whether it be a venting spot or what ever you need, know that I would do that for you. You can send me an email and I will give you my #

Roxanne

Washington State

I ended up having the plication. I had very painful gas afterwards. Everything else seems to be going great. I've already lost 6 lbs, which makes me very happy.

When did you have your surgery done? I am going in Feb. and I was wondering what the typical weight loss results were. Thanks

There are a few of us that have never had a fill. Some on this forum lost all of their weight without ever getting a fill. The most awesome I remember is a woman that has reached goal (actually I think under goal, 147 lbs) without a fill. I am nearly at goal and as such beleive I will be able to do it without a fill as well. Right now I am working on toning and think that it will get me over the last few lbs/inches to my goal. All that said, I am so sorry you are having so many issues. Hang in there, I have faith that things will turn around for you as you travel on this adventure. If there is anything I can do to help, whether it be a venting spot or what ever you need, know that I would do that for you. You can send me an email and I will give you my #

Roxanne

Washington State

Thanks so much Roxanne for the support. I am so happy to see the pictures and read stories about the Lap Band really working .

I made a mistake being honest about having Lap Band surgery with my friends, family and coworkers at the hospital where I work. Everyone thought I was CRAZY for going to Mexico for surgery. I think they still do,especially after all the issues I have had. I constantly feel pressure that I need to be loosing weight so I can show everyone that I did not just throw my money away... Kind of feel like a Lap Band failure at this point. But I am not giving up.... I hope and pray my next fill will give me some restriction and not be too tight.

As I have found out the hard way, it is hard to determine exactly how much fluid needs to be put in your band at the time of your fill. It also was very expensive to find a US Wt Loss Surgeon who would accept me as a patient to unfill me after my overfill at the Fill Center. I will never have a fill again without Floro so that is also an added expense. My friend and I had our surgery done at the OCC at the same time. She lives in Portland has not been losing weight either. We both had our first two fills at the OCC together. She finally found a doctor in Portland who will see her for $2,100 for a one year period. This includes 6 fills without Floro. At least the Plication has no aftercare cost and may be a plus for those who do not have many options that are near them for fills.

Thanks so much Roxanne for the support. I am so happy to see the pictures and read stories about the Lap Band really working .

I made a mistake being honest about having Lap Band surgery with my friends, family and coworkers at the hospital where I work. Everyone thought I was CRAZY for going to Mexico for surgery. I think they still do,especially after all the issues I have had. I constantly feel pressure that I need to be loosing weight so I can show everyone that I did not just throw my money away... Kind of feel like a Lap Band failure at this point. But I am not giving up.... I hope and pray my next fill will give me some restriction and not be too tight.

As I have found out the hard way, it is hard to determine exactly how much fluid needs to be put in your band at the time of your fill. It also was very expensive to find a US Wt Loss Surgeon who would accept me as a patient to unfill me after my overfill at the Fill Center. I will never have a fill again without Floro so that is also an added expense. My friend and I had our surgery done at the OCC at the same time. She lives in Portland has not been losing weight either. We both had our first two fills at the OCC together. She finally found a doctor in Portland who will see her for $2,100 for a one year period. This includes 6 fills without Floro. At least the Plication has no aftercare cost and may be a plus for those who do not have many options that are near them for fills.

MY Dr. was right up front with me. It was his decision to do the Plication. Less invasive no fills. I am 4 hrs. from the Dr. so this works much better for me. I had never heard of it before. I am relly glad that he made this decision for me. He is the best and he is in Canada which is really good. My husband will drive me there and home. There is a hotel behind the hospital run by the nuns. I am waiting to get the info. I was told it is $50. a night. and you can get meals there as well. I am looking into that now. Doris QC.

MY Dr. was right up front with me. It was his decision to do the Plication. Less invasive no fills. I am 4 hrs. from the Dr. so this works much better for me. I had never heard of it before. I am relly glad that he made this decision for me. He is the best and he is in Canada which is really good. My husband will drive me there and home. There is a hotel behind the hospital run by the nuns. I am waiting to get the info. I was told it is $50. a night. and you can get meals there as well. I am looking into that now. Doris QC.

wishing you the best and know that you will be successful. Keep in touch and let us know how you are