looking for friends and support gastric plication

Hi, I'm having my plication surgery this Thursday so after it's done I can fill you on my experience. I didn't realize their was a doctor in Canada who was doing this type of surgery, is it part of a surgical trial study?

I am having it done in Montreal Feb. 28th. Dr.called and spoke to me about it on Monday. Please keep in touch so far you are my only contact. What preparation did you have to do. Doris QC.

Hi, I'm having my plication surgery this Thursday so after it's done I can fill you on my experience. I didn't realize their was a doctor in Canada who was doing this type of surgery, is it part of a surgical trial study?

sorry forgot to ask where you are having your surgery. Doris QC.

Surgery is with Dr Ortiz, in TJ Mexico.......do tell how did you find out about a doctor in Canada doing this type of surgery and what kinda process did you have to go through hoops to get it done? Katie:)

sorry forgot to ask where you are having your surgery. Doris QC.

Surgery is with Dr Ortiz, in TJ Mexico.......do tell how did you find out about a doctor in Canada doing this type of surgery and what kinda process did you have to go through hoops to get it done? Katie:)

This must be new for my Dr. It is not listed on his Introduction page. He was going to do the band then called to discuss the Plication with me said it was less invasive. It is done at his outpatient clinic. If they need to keep you over night they transfer you to Sacred Heart Hospital. I live in Quebec and our Insurance pays all except the pre-op.

Where do you live.. I did notice that they take USA patients self pay. This procedure is cheaper , I am in the process of finding accommodation near the clinic. Apparently there is a convent behind the hospital run by the nuns and it is reasonable. I am looking into it. Keep in touch Doris QC.

Hi Doris,

Has this surgery been approved in Canada, I thought it wasn't and only in the trial experiemental stage in the States, primarily Cleveland. I decided to do to Dr Ortiz as he seems to have the most experience with this and other WLS, plus the costs in TJ Mexico is about a third of say what the clinic in Cleveland changes. Do you know how long he has been doing Plications? Or under which Doctor he protored, as in who did he learn from and how many Plications has he actually done??? These were the questions I asked every doctor I talked to..............there is a doctor here in Vancouver who had his WLS done by Dr Ortiz and that went a long way to helping me decide which doctor to go to. Where I'm going it's a full private hospital including a Special Care Unit(like our Intensive Care units) No transport, you are cared for right there in a private hospital. Have you seen their web page...............the clinic is as good as it looks. And I will keep you up to date on my surgery and post surgery experiences................you can email me at ktbaillargeon@gmail.com just put in the subject line...from Doris in Montreal. Talk to ya soon Katie:)

I had the gastric plication done with Dr. Ortiz on Dec. 5/2010. I'm doing fine and have lost 21lbs. Started at 211 now at 190. The surgery was fine, some discomfort for the first 24hrs. I flew home 6hrs total and wore jeans. I think plication is the way to go and you have no worries. I didn't know that Canada was aproved either. That's great as long as you research your doctor. Good luck and congrats on making the decision!

Good Luck with your surgery and God Bless you. Keep in touch Hugs

Hi Turtle2741! Just curious, have you been satisfied with your weight loss? You seem to be one of the ones who has had the surgery the longest and I am wondering if you're finding it easier to lose weight that before the surger.

I had the gastric plication done with Dr. Ortiz on Dec. 5/2010. I'm doing fine and have lost 21lbs. Started at 211 now at 190. The surgery was fine, some discomfort for the first 24hrs. I flew home 6hrs total and wore jeans. I think plication is the way to go and you have no worries. I didn't know that Canada was aproved either. That's great as long as you research your doctor. Good luck and congrats on making the decision!

Hello had my plication done in mexico Jan 19 by Dr lopez corvala , down 16 lbs was more then I anticpiated but looking back was good.I went alone and would not suggest that ,I have no pain anymore very little hunger if any. Also had long term concerns but as they told me lapbands at one point were not FDA approved. As always listen to your heart I know you will make the correct descion . I am 50 6ft1 250 at time of surgery will be under 200 for first time in 40 years looking forward to it gave myself this gift. Any questions hit me back. Fred

Hello had my plication done in mexico Jan 19 by Dr lopez corvala , down 16 lbs was more then I anticpiated but looking back was good.I went alone and would not suggest that ,I have no pain anymore very little hunger if any. Also had long term concerns but as they told me lapbands at one point were not FDA approved. As always listen to your heart I know you will make the correct descion . I am 50 6ft1 250 at time of surgery will be under 200 for first time in 40 years looking forward to it gave myself this gift. Any questions hit me back. Fred

congratulations on your successful journey. Love the positive attitude. keep it up

I am having Gastric Plication in Montreal. looking for some friendly souls to help answer some questions

Here are a few things I took with me that helped a lot. I plastic baby spoon, no way to eat your broth too fast with this; a thermos so I could have broth in my room at all times. Warm liquid eases the nerves in my new stomach. A cheap electric tooth brush, my teeth grew fuzzies like I had never had before and a quick brush helped so much. I flew to Tj for my surgery, was fasting that day but found licking ice cubes solved the dry mouth. I took my thermos and a drinkable yogart on the plane. Just tell security this is all you can eat, and must consume these every few hours. Just tell them you just had WLS, was no problem at all taking them through security. I also ask for a wheel chair assistance, much easier to get from A to B, that service is there for people like us. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Good Luck with your surgery and God Bless you. Keep in touch Hugs

Surgery all done.....what a great experience. The OCC clinic is the cleanest hospital setting I've ever been in. Everyone is so professional, and interested only in your best care. I've had lots of IVs over the years, and they have always been nasty and left bruises, but not this time. OCC's surgical nurse is wonderful, and how she managed to put my IV in painlessly and I had no bruising, amazing, simply amazing. On day of surgery I was sort of out of it, by the next day on discharge, myself, my partner, and two other couples(us gals had Plication surgery) went exploring to see if TJ Walmart is the same there...yup, it's the same, just in Spanish. Heads up, you must have Pesos or your credit card to shop, as US$ are not taken. There are a few things I took with me that help a lot. A plastic baby spoon, no way one can gulp(and get stomach cramps), a thermos, made sure I had broth available all the time. We stayed at the Marriot, a wonderful place, their chicken broth is amazing, BUT, only at night.............the morning broth resembles dish water, so I would have the thermos filled at night and it kept me going until the good broth was available the next evening. I also took GasX strips with me. Not sure how anyone does, but all three of us had lots of gas. We burbed and rooty-tooted out way through the whole time. I also found out that you can take a full thermos of broth through security at the airport. Just tell them you have had WLS and that this is all you can consume. Also, I used the airline's wheel chair service, made getting through security and to the gate super easy. Hope this helps someone. I noticed this morning I'm down 5 pounds since surgery and 16lbs since starting pre surgery diet. OCC is awesome, recommend it to everyone.

Surgery all done.....what a great experience. The OCC clinic is the cleanest hospital setting I've ever been in. Everyone is so professional, and interested only in your best care. I've had lots of IVs over the years, and they have always been nasty and left bruises, but not this time. OCC's surgical nurse is wonderful, and how she managed to put my IV in painlessly and I had no bruising, amazing, simply amazing. On day of surgery I was sort of out of it, by the next day on discharge, myself, my partner, and two other couples(us gals had Plication surgery) went exploring to see if TJ Walmart is the same there...yup, it's the same, just in Spanish. Heads up, you must have Pesos or your credit card to shop, as US$ are not taken. There are a few things I took with me that help a lot. A plastic baby spoon, no way one can gulp(and get stomach cramps), a thermos, made sure I had broth available all the time. We stayed at the Marriot, a wonderful place, their chicken broth is amazing, BUT, only at night.............the morning broth resembles dish water, so I would have the thermos filled at night and it kept me going until the good broth was available the next evening. I also took GasX strips with me. Not sure how anyone does, but all three of us had lots of gas. We burbed and rooty-tooted out way through the whole time. I also found out that you can take a full thermos of broth through security at the airport. Just tell them you have had WLS and that this is all you can consume. Also, I used the airline's wheel chair service, made getting through security and to the gate super easy. Hope this helps someone. I noticed this morning I'm down 5 pounds since surgery and 16lbs since starting pre surgery diet. OCC is awesome, recommend it to everyone.

Hi KTB! What was your pre surgery diet? I am scheduled for plication on the 16th and just started the 9 day plan.

Hi KTB! What was your pre surgery diet? I am scheduled for plication on the 16th and just started the 9 day plan.

Hi, My pre surgery considered of 2 protein shakes and one lean cuisense a day plus green salad (green salad with tomotoes and mushroom only) with balsiminc vingar or veggie soups. I will say I have craved of all things a huge green salad with fat free creamy dressing. Now, craving a greeen salad was not something I ever craved in the past, go figure. I think the pre surgery was way more difficult than I am finding the post surgery. Mostly because I really do not find myself hungry as I use to be all the time before the surgery. Now 1/2 cup of cream soup and I'm satisfied. My current challenge is getting the required 30 grams of protein in a shake. I have yet to find a protein shake that I don't just gag on and throw up. They all seem to taste yucky to me. I can tolerate Slim Fast Royal Chocolate which means drinking 2 of them a day. Thats a lot of volume for me right now. I've also just spent last 2 days very sick with a flu bug, and if anyone is wondering if the fly symptons are not the flu but from surgery, they are not, my boyfriend has the same flu bug, same symptons. Quick way to drop 10 pounds but not the way I want to loose weight. I would prefer a slow gradual weight loss, that way my skin will have time to adjust and I can lessen the sagging skin issues. I know I will have some, and I plan to have a bit of plastic surgery in about a year. Anyone has any questoins, feel free to ask or email me at ktbaillargeon@gmail.com

Hi, My pre surgery considered of 2 protein shakes and one lean cuisense a day plus green salad (green salad with tomotoes and mushroom only) with balsiminc vingar or veggie soups. I will say I have craved of all things a huge green salad with fat free creamy dressing. Now, craving a greeen salad was not something I ever craved in the past, go figure. I think the pre surgery was way more difficult than I am finding the post surgery. Mostly because I really do not find myself hungry as I use to be all the time before the surgery. Now 1/2 cup of cream soup and I'm satisfied. My current challenge is getting the required 30 grams of protein in a shake. I have yet to find a protein shake that I don't just gag on and throw up. They all seem to taste yucky to me. I can tolerate Slim Fast Royal Chocolate which means drinking 2 of them a day. Thats a lot of volume for me right now. I've also just spent last 2 days very sick with a flu bug, and if anyone is wondering if the fly symptons are not the flu but from surgery, they are not, my boyfriend has the same flu bug, same symptons. Quick way to drop 10 pounds but not the way I want to loose weight. I would prefer a slow gradual weight loss, that way my skin will have time to adjust and I can lessen the sagging skin issues. I know I will have some, and I plan to have a bit of plastic surgery in about a year. Anyone has any questoins, feel free to ask or email me at ktbaillargeon@gmail.com

I there!! For all of you who dislike the taste of the Protein shakes out there, I suggest you try the WonderSlim Mocha Cream... They taste amazing!! The only problem is that u need to buy em online or on e-bay :S I did not get WLS yet, but I have tried these shakes on one of my many diets :) They taste wayyyyyyyyy better than the Slim Fast. Hope u like them too, and good luck with your weight loss!!! :)

• 3 months later...

I am having Gastric Plication in Montreal. looking for some friendly souls to help answer some questions

Hi islandqueen38! Who did your surgery in Montreal? I'm from Ottawa but I could'nt find any doctors here who does that kind of surgery. How many has he done so far?

Hello in Montreal!

I know your post was put up way back in January. I am curious as to how you are now? I am thinking about having plication surgery soon myself and would love to correspond with someone who has done this and has a little history to share.

I am fearful that I will not lose enough weight with the plication method vs. the banding.

If you would please share some of your information I would be so grateful

Thank you,

Feather

Hi Feather, How are you doing, any closer to being able to book your surgery date??? K:) PS Have put my WLS tool back to work in the last few days. I realized I wasn't using it to my advantage, and have modified things I know will help...measuring out my food, no more visially guessing.............making sure I get at least 64oz of water, more if I can. Have to find time to put some walking back into my routine. I'm not too good in this area, so it's something I need to focus on. As frustrating as a plateau can be..............I know in 4 months at any other diet program I would not have lost 35+lbs(closer to 40lbs actually). .............anytime I've done say Weight Watchers, I can remember everyone seeming to hit plateaus regularly. If I was to re-do my decision........I would still pick plication and followed by the Sleeve. I just didn't like the idea of the after care of the lapband. Didn't work in with my lifestyle(ie, I travel a lot for extended periods of time.....didn't want to plan my travelling about fill locations. K:)