Going Home and Feeling good

I had my plication surgery 2 days ago, Feb 10 with 2 others and one more person had the band. I am sitting in the Lucerna getting ready to get the shuttle to go home. I think I have slept about 36 of the last 48 hours because I could and I needed it, not just from the surgery but a break from life itself.

I flew in Wed night and arrived at the hotel at midnight. I got up and was at OCC by 7am. The nurses took me back first, drew my blood and prepped my my IV tube. The I saw Dr. Miranda where she went over the post-op diet and stressed the importance of following it. Then I was in with Dr. Valasquez the anesthesiologist wo asked medical history questions and did my EKG. Then I was taken back to my room. I was only in there a few minutes when I was in my gown, they gave me something to take the edge off and Dr. Martinez came in ant talked with me for a long time to answer any questions. He was VERY personable.

So if anyone has questions about doing it all in one day, we all did. It seemed that as soon as I was done with Dr. Miranda, the next was in with her. Everyone was very nice and it all went smoothly. Dr Ortiz came in right before surgery but I was already woozy. He was very friendly but it was short and sweet. They walked me into surgery and no time was wasted. I was hooked up and the next thing I remember is waking in my room with some cramping in my stomach.

I found that laying on my side subsided the cramping. I did not get nausea but it felt like when my stomach is humngry and I have nothing in it at all, I get empty cramps and borderline nausea but not like I feel like throwing up. When I first started supping water and juice I could feel it go down and I would cramp more.

Two days later I am gettign very mild cramps and I can see that I need to sip slowly but I feel good. My incision sites are tender but not sore. Anyone who has had a C-section, this is not as bad at all.

Anyway, I am excited to go home and see my family. I have had a great experience and I am feeling good. It is a personal choice that I am glad I made (so far). Theer were 6 people waiting for surgery when I was leaving and I hope all 10 of us in the past 2 days will be happy and much healthier people. Good luck my friends!

Sharon

At OCC they did a barium on the last day there, so you could see you're new and smaller stomach. I still don't feel like I had a surgery, with one huge exception, I can only take in small volumes at a time. So I set a timer on my watch so I have something ever 4 hours while I'm awake and I have water going all the time, sipping only, as any gulping leads to gas. Oh the gas, at 2.5 weeks out, only time I notice gas is if I consume anything too fast. I have also noticed I have a ton more energy too. for me that's a huge bonus as CFS can wear on ya. Cheers, K:)

At OCC they did a barium on the last day there, so you could see you're new and smaller stomach. I still don't feel like I had a surgery, with one huge exception, I can only take in small volumes at a time. So I set a timer on my watch so I have something ever 4 hours while I'm awake and I have water going all the time, sipping only, as any gulping leads to gas. Oh the gas, at 2.5 weeks out, only time I notice gas is if I consume anything too fast. I have also noticed I have a ton more energy too. for me that's a huge bonus as CFS can wear on ya. Cheers, K:)

CFS?

That means Chronic Fatique Syndrome, sometimes comes when one has chronic back pain......car accident in 2001, that's when my weight went totally out of control, up till then it was a struggle. So when my energy is up like right now, I am sooo happy...and need to watch I don't deplete it as can happen. Don't you leave shortly for your turn at OCC?

That means Chronic Fatique Syndrome, sometimes comes when one has chronic back pain......car accident in 2001, that's when my weight went totally out of control, up till then it was a struggle. So when my energy is up like right now, I am sooo happy...and need to watch I don't deplete it as can happen. Don't you leave shortly for your turn at OCC?

Oh! That make sense now. Yes! I leave on Tuesday morning. I am supposed to have pre op tests on Tuesday and surgery on Wednesday. I emailed them today to see if I could possible have the tests and surgery all in the same day since I am getting in so early on Tuesday. Fingers crossed they say yes!

Good luck Olivia. I think you will be happy. I am excited for you.

I am supposed to have an endoscopy in about 6 months just to make sure everything is OK. I am having less gas also unless I gulp too fast. Feeling pretty good now. I think I have more energy. I noticed right after surgery for the next 48 hours I always felt like I had to pee and when I went it was like dribbles. Now my bladder is back to normal. I am 5 days post ops and I still need Tylenol for the incision areas. Sometimes I have a hard time deciding if I am hungry or if it is stomach cramps. Dr. Martinez said that cramps happen for the first while since the stomach is not used to its new form.

I have a lot of energy when I am by the end of they day I am ready to sleep. I think I sleep deeper now though. Hope everyone is doing well.

Sharon

Good luck Olivia. I think you will be happy. I am excited for you.

I am supposed to have an endoscopy in about 6 months just to make sure everything is OK. I am having less gas also unless I gulp too fast. Feeling pretty good now. I think I have more energy. I noticed right after surgery for the next 48 hours I always felt like I had to pee and when I went it was like dribbles. Now my bladder is back to normal. I am 5 days post ops and I still need Tylenol for the incision areas. Sometimes I have a hard time deciding if I am hungry or if it is stomach cramps. Dr. Martinez said that cramps happen for the first while since the stomach is not used to its new form.

I have a lot of energy when I am by the end of they day I am ready to sleep. I think I sleep deeper now though. Hope everyone is doing well.

Sharon

Hi S. Good to hear you're doing well. On occassion I still get the 'cramps' and it seems to happen after I've eaten and obviously eaten too fast. I wass listening to a You Tube where a gal said her advise was to eat tiny tiny bits, chew really well(of course) and then wait abotu 2 minutes between bites so the new tummy gets full and not the area just at the entrance to the stomach. Sounded like good information, so I'm giving it a try. The wait between feels odd..........has anyone found a solution to keeping food hot while you're taking you time eating?? I'm finding about half way through my meal, my food is cold and mic'ing it doesn't improve the flavor or texture.

KTB, just had the surgery yesterday and man is this gas pain in my chest is horribly uncomfortable. Did this happen to you and how long does it last.

KTB, just had the surgery yesterday and man is this gas pain in my chest is horribly uncomfortable. Did this happen to you and how long does it last.

I'm so glad you're doing good. Was thinking about you yesterday. How are the people @ OCC did they meet your expectations and aside from the gas pains what other symptons do you feel.

Hi Olivia!

I had the plication surgery at the OCC Feb.9 - one week ago today. Yes, the gas pains are a bit uncomfortable. Walk as much as you can and I used Gas-X Thin Strips, they really worked for me. This will pass in about 3-5 days and you will still have gas but nothing like you are experiencing now. Stay strong and try not to get discouraged, it is only temporary. Warm broth and tea helps as well. Good luck to you and Congratulations!!! You did it! Welcome to the "Plicater Side" my friend!

Let me know how you are doing. Karen.