Band or Plication

Hi, I had gastric plication on Jan 27th at OCC. I started out thinking a band was the way to go, until I did a bunch of research on various forums, reviews on the net. These were the things I based my choice on.....first no foreign objects in my body, no fills/unfills to deal with, no worry about slippage like with a band, or ports flipping, and a plication can be reversed. Here was the last thing, no slimming, or having something get stuck. I also noticed more and more that lapbanders were getting revisions done to a VS............Now 2.5 weeks out, I know I made the right decision........I feel so 'normal', no trouble getting things down and the size of my new stomach makes sure I don't over eat. I know at this early stage I am so aware of what choices I make, and I'm not hungry all the time. Don't know if this helps, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Each one of us has gone through where you are. K:)

I love my band.

And opposed, I've read a lot of people 'disappointed' with the lack of restriction with the Plication and the slow results factor seems to really come into play ...

A lot of frustration is talked about on this forum with those who have had the plication.

I have full control over how much restriction I have.

Can be unfilled if needed.

Getting fills can be a pain, if you haven't sourced it out ... but I've had incredible results.

You're so right Lindsay, for some the band works great. I think the driving force behind my choice was I don't live where fills are easily done without going to Seattle. Not a long drive(3hrs), and I also travel out of the country a lot, this way no real follow up. So far I have found my old desire for eating lots is not around, and I am satisfied on much less, it was the tool I needed. May also be because my BMI was at 34, I wonder if plication works better with lower BMI's, no sure but the thought just came to me. Lindsay, you have been an inspiration to me, awesome job!

I love my band.

And opposed, I've read a lot of people 'disappointed' with the lack of restriction with the Plication and the slow results factor seems to really come into play ...

A lot of frustration is talked about on this forum with those who have had the plication.

I have full control over how much restriction I have.

Can be unfilled if needed.

Getting fills can be a pain, if you haven't sourced it out ... but I've had incredible results.

You're so right Lindsay, for some the band works great. I think the driving force behind my choice was I don't live where fills are easily done without going to Seattle. Not a long drive(3hrs), and I also travel out of the country a lot, this way no real follow up. So far I have found my old desire for eating lots is not around, and I am satisfied on much less, it was the tool I needed. May also be because my BMI was at 34, I wonder if plication works better with lower BMI's, no sure but the thought just came to me. Lindsay, you have been an inspiration to me, awesome job!

Thanks for the input. We are about 60 minutes to a FillUSA Center, but I have read good and bad about having fills there. Not opposed to going to see OCC once a year, but more than that would probably be too costly.

My BMI is 35. I have looked, but can't seem to find a guideline for which bariatric surgery is best for differnt BMIs. Of course not too many in states doing GSP so can't find a lot of info.

SD

If it helps any, I called OCC really open to any of the WLS and they said plication is really the best that's out there. The patient coordinator Lori was banded but she said if she were having WLS now she would have done plication. While the band can and does work, I think the plication gives you all the benefits and less of the complications although I don't have a band and am only going off of what I've read from others on this site. I think most on this site are happy with their plications. I have only seen a few who aren't, and by a few I think two. As ktb said, many banders are going back for revision surgeries. I do not want to go through this process again that's for sure! I am scheduled for plication on the 16th so I'll let you know how it goes. At the end of the day, I think that all of these WLS options are highly effective. You'll notice a common theme for many of the posters, whatever surgery they've had or have chosen sorta becomes their tunnel vision, it becomes difficult to be objective. The same applies to me, I am convinced plication is right for me so it becomes difficult to recommend anything else, but I have to remember that it may not be for everyone. It's really going to be up to you and your research to feel comfortable.

Have you have your phone consult with your surgeon yet? These are all good queries for him. I think from what I've read, the need for fills or unfills are very much different with everyone. Maybe it's time to put some of your questions to a surgeon. In my research, I did only find one place in the States that were in clinical trials with gastric plication, and that was in Cleveland where I am told the cost of surgery is very high, 22 grand plus, to be part of their trials. I have heard since my surgery of a place in Montreal Canada that are doing plications. There is a web page you ight want to check out gastricplication.org K:)

Thanks for the input. We are about 60 minutes to a FillUSA Center, but I have read good and bad about having fills there. Not opposed to going to see OCC once a year, but more than that would probably be too costly.

My BMI is 35. I have looked, but can't seem to find a guideline for which bariatric surgery is best for differnt BMIs. Of course not too many in states doing GSP so can't find a lot of info.

SD

Have you have your phone consult with your surgeon yet? These are all good queries for him. I think from what I've read, the need for fills or unfills are very much different with everyone. Maybe it's time to put some of your questions to a surgeon. In my research, I did only find one place in the States that were in clinical trials with gastric plication, and that was in Cleveland where I am told the cost of surgery is very high, 22 grand plus, to be part of their trials. I have heard since my surgery of a place in Montreal Canada that are doing plications. There is a web page you ight want to check out gastricplication.org K:)

Gastric Plication is NOT FDA approved. Not yet, at least.

That doesn't give me any doubts in it, but it's still a bit thing to consider.

IF I HAD TO REPLACE THE BAND I HAVE WITH ANOTHER WLS, I'D LOOK AT THE BAND AGAIN OR THE SLEEVE.

THOUGH FILLS CAN BE A PAIN, IT'S THE THING I REALLY LOVE ABOUT HAVING THE BAND, IT BEING ADJUSTABLE GIVING ME THE AMOUNT OF RESTRICTION "I" WANT

That;'s right, that's why Cleveland is doing clinic trials. I don't have a lot of information about the surgeon doing plication in Montreal Canada. i do know in Brazil gastric plication has been there for over 10 years. There is information on the gastricplication.org site. I do agree with Olivia in that which ever surgery we each pick, we tend to see it as the best option out there. Research, research and more research, plus some discussions with surgeons will answer your questions more than anyone else can. Ask a lot of questions of the surgeon, if they are any good, they will be able to tell you the pros and cons of each type of WLS.

That;'s right, that's why Cleveland is doing clinic trials. I don't have a lot of information about the surgeon doing plication in Montreal Canada. i do know in Brazil gastric plication has been there for over 10 years. There is information on the gastricplication.org site. I do agree with Olivia in that which ever surgery we each pick, we tend to see it as the best option out there. Research, research and more research, plus some discussions with surgeons will answer your questions more than anyone else can. Ask a lot of questions of the surgeon, if they are any good, they will be able to tell you the pros and cons of each type of WLS.

As for it being an approved procedure in Brazil, I haven't been able to find any info to back that up, either.

While it's still apparently 'the best option out there', there are no long term studies avail.

Just keep in mind that the website (gastricplication.org) is run/managed by Dr.Ortiz.

Opinions on it will reflect that (biast, in my opinion).

Last year it was 'the sleeve'.

This year it's plication.

OK,, here's my take on the subject. As a moderator here at the forum, today was the first day I had even heard of www.gastricplication.org. I did some checking and found that it's a non profit website, that's why it's a .org, not a .com. It's more of a website for surgeons and patients that are looking for information concerning plication surgery. I know Dr. Ortiz, Dr. Martinez and Dr. Miranda contribute and share their knowledge on that site, along with other surgeons from around the world. As to which surgery is better, Gastric Banding or Gastric Plication, I guess time will tell and each patient should decide for themselves. That's why we have the OCC Forum website. So we can ask other patients about their experiences and opinions concerning both surgeries. Hopefully we can educate ourselves and make a good decision as to which surgery is best for us.

• Like 1

Registrations in the org are processed via accredited registrars worldwide.[citation needed] Anyone can register an org second-level domain.[citation needed] Although org was recommended for non-commercial entities, there are no restrictions to registration.[citation needed] There are many instances of org being used by commercial sites

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.org

Click on CONTACT.

It's all Dr Ortiz. It's obviously a sales driven-website.

But again, I could care less.

Lindsay, not sure why you are jumping to conclusions but its starting to feel like you are attacking people for having a different opinion or for trying to explain why they are choosing the plication. This is a support area.

Dr. Ortiz sponsors the site, as nothing is free! But he has invited and included the experts in on www.gastricplication.org and tried to consolidate the research about the plication into one easy to read site where people can learn more about this procedure. Not sure why this bothers you, but I am very sorry about that!

The band and plication are both wonderful surgeries. Its all about personal choice. I have the band, I love my band, but if I ever had trouble, I would seriously consider the plication surgery! Our patients have done so well with it. Some of the revision patients from band to plication haven't seen as much intial weightloss, that is true, and we are working with them to figure it out. For some, its because they aren't used to just that "full" feeling, they are used to their bands being over restricted and PBing to know they have overeaten, so there is a learning curve. The feeling with the plication is different from the band, its a more natural full feeling, and they are having to learn how that feels and not push past it.

If anyone has questions I'm happy to assist.