Worried About Not Losing Weight

I am very discouraged - I had the plication on Feb.9th. I lost about 18lbs pre surgery and another 3 lbs post op and in 2 weeks I have stayed the same. I am so frustrated and I keep thinking that I am doing something wrong. I have a 93 ml(70 cal) drinkable yogurt in the am, high protein Boost, creamed soup(low fat/low sodium) or beef/chicken broth- 2x 125 ml servings, a homemade protein shake and water - somedays I have a V8 (90 cal) when I feel like I need something else.

Is this too much?

Can anyone help me figure this out?

I am supposed to start soft foods on March 2nd and if I am not losing now what is going to happen then!

I feel like I am the only one NOT losing weight!!!

I was weighing everyday when I first got home and have tapered that off to once per week now. I weighed this am and again no change!!!

I sent an email to Dr. Miranda a week ago and she told me not to worry. So I tried to relax and continue on plan. Early today I sent Dr. Miranda another email early today and I have not heard back. I would really appreciate hearing from those who have recently had surgery and what kind of "Menu" they are following.

Any insight would be really appreciated!!!

weight.png

As I was writing this post - Dr. Miranda emailed back her response!!!!

Apparently, every 20 lbs we lose, we can expect to plateau. She thinks this is what the problem is.

GREAT!

So now my questions to all of you are:

1.) How long does a plateau last?

2.) How do you overcome it, is there anything you can do to power through it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated by anyone with any knowledge of how to get through this gracefully or not?

Thanking you advance for the advice! Karen.

........................................................................................................................................................

weight.png

Hi Karen,

Thank you for sharing your experiences here, I'm new to the site and waiting for my plication March 14th. Reading all the posts on here at least gives me some sense of what to expect, and hopefully I'll benefit from your experiences and observations, good or bad. Hope the plateau is brief and you get back on the decline :) Good luck!

Yolanda

Don't worry, you are going to have plateaus some times and then you will continue to lose weight. Right now your body is in a state of adjustment, your metabolism may be slowing a bit due to the decrease in caloric intake. You have lost 18 lbs., that is FABULOUS! Try not to be so hard on yourself. Remember, it is all about calories in versus calories out. Right now you are convalescing and not doing much just trying to let your body heal. When you are ready to become more active, it will start to come off a bit easier. Just let your body heal and when you are ready, get walking.

Best wishes.

Guest lena9800

Hi,Well i undersand what u are feeling I had plication on Oct 18 2010 and i have lost only 22 pounds in 4 months but I am some what happy remember it took how many years to gain this weight? So I am giving it time to came off,Don't get discouraged and don't beat yourself up,just be patient. I know it's easier said than done but just give it time and try to walk at least 30 minutes a day it realy helps.Good luck

My goodness....I did not expect such a great and supportive response. A special "Thank you" goes out to all of you who so quickly replied to my post.

I am so appreciative and floored that y'all care so much about total strangers here!

I admit that it has been hard to get the walking in that I should be doing. The snow has been so high and plenty .... it hasn't been safe to walk anywhere.

So I have made a plan to join the local "Mall Walkers" which is generally for senior citizens....but who cares?!??!

Thanks again for the advice and .... does anyone know approximately how long it will LAST?

weight.png

As I was writing this post - Dr. Miranda emailed back her response!!!!

Apparently, every 20 lbs we lose, we can expect to plateau. She thinks this is what the problem is.

GREAT!

So now my questions to all of you are:

1.) How long does a plateau last?

2.) How do you overcome it, is there anything you can do to power through it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated by anyone with any knowledge of how to get through this gracefully or not?

Thanking you advance for the advice! Karen.

........................................................................................................................................................

weight.png

As with pre WLS - are you getting in any exercise. By exercise, at this point walking is your best course of action. From what i have read/seen/experienced 5 miles a day does wonders. Stay strong