APRIL SURGERIES

I am 52. I live in Anchorage Alaska. My starting weight was 243, I am at 235 this morning. 5 pounds more to go before surgery. I am scheduled to have my surgery on Monday the 4th of April. I am reading everything I can at this stage on nutrition and really trying to make sure I do this in the healthiest way I can. I have been reading alot about the importance of isolate protein vs the concentrated protein. Has anyone found a shake that is mainly made up of isolates? Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Hi Deanne,

I'm curious about how your recovery is going after your April 4th surgery? I hope you are doing well. I'm going to be "plicated" soon and am looking to speak to anyone who's had the recent experience and seeing how it went. Any complaints or complications?

I'm on the pre-op diet and not gaining, but not losing either....

Take good care,

Feather

I just had the plication last monday April 4th, so far no complications, I was up and walking within an hour of the operation. First 24 hours is the toughest, mostly becuase of gas pains. I have not had any pains from the surgery and am now onto yogurts, sugarfree puddings, jello, and even had some cottage cheese. I am amazed at how I am not really hungry and can cure any hunger with a sip of juice or protein shake. As far as complications with plication vs the band, I went with plication becuase I didnt want to keep up on fills, or find a place to have it done for a ridiculous price. Also two of my neighbors are bandsters and strongly suggested the sleeve, however they were not aware of the plication. I am confident that I have made the right decision, on my day of operation there were 4 of us that got plication and two that got the sleeve. So far I am down 25 lbs including pre-op loss.

I am feeling great. I am down twenty total. I am steaming some veggies to mush, and having no problems digesting soft foods. Biggest challenge is drinking enough protein isolates, couldn't be happier.

Ok, so had my surgery 10 days ago today.. On April 12th. Down 9 lbs since surgery 12 lost prior to surgery total of 21 yay!! For those of you that have your surgery coming up try not to be too nervous, the staff is great, the facility and hotels are great. The surgery is surgery so easier for some than for others but with the care at OCC you know that you are in good hands.

For me after the surgery was hard, I was very nautious the first night, and spent a lot of it either throwing up, or being medicated to stop the nautiousness.. I will not lie it was not fun, but the staff was great and there were 3 other plication patients that day besides me and non of them had more than mild nausia. After the first night I started feeling better, I was a lot more tired than I thought I would be. They tell you to walk after surgery, I recomend it.. it helps a lot. The day we went back home was hard for me as well, just 2 days post surgery I was still dealing with nautiousness and that made it a long car and plane ride home.. If I had it to do over I may have stayed in TJ at the hotel 1 more day to rest. The day after I got home and got some good sleep I started feeling back to normal again and by the second day home 4 days post surgery the nautiousness had completly subsided. Each day I have become less sore and have more energy, still a little sore but just around the incision site. I am on full liquids now, and found these great Odwalla protien monster shakes.. they have 25 grams of protien and come in small servings ( what I used to think was small) On day 7 post surgery it took me all day to drink just one. Today it was much easier to get it down, and I really think it helps with the energy.

I have not felt hungry yet since the surgery but, I know my stomach is still healing. I have had a few moments where I thought..what the heck did I do, I just want to eat a burger.. I think that was the mental hunger they warned me about... I was not physically hungry. I am only learning the difference now. Prior to surgery I had no idea.. I just ate and felt hungry all the time. It has been such a great feeling to not have that.

Some things to remind yourself, take small sips, walk, walk, walk.. you will need rest even if you are like me and think you are superwoman allow yourself that time it does help, when you start full liquids again make sure your bites/drinks are very small to start..

I will keep posting.. that is all I can think of for now :) except, I was worried whether or not I was making the right decision to have this surgery or not and I know I am only 10 days post surgery but, I am already so glad I made the decision to have the surgery!

Sarah

• 2 weeks later...

Well, surgery complete and my hats off to the splendid and amazing TEAM at Obesity Control Center. I went in on Wednesday, had surgery on Thursday and was home in Los Angeles on Friday evening. No pain, very little discomfort, gassy nauseous, but has to be expected.

The care I received from all aspects of the Center was at a level that far exceeds some doctors offices in the states. It seems to me that it wouldnt hurt some US medical offices to take a long hard look at the way they treat patients and family and try to be more like the incredible staff at OCC.

That being said, down 22 lbs already (pre-op and surgery) 80 more to go....

KIndest thanks...

Mark Webb

Well, surgery complete and my hats off to the splendid and amazing TEAM at Obesity Control Center. I went in on Wednesday, had surgery on Thursday and was home in Los Angeles on Friday evening. No pain, very little discomfort, gassy nauseous, but has to be expected.

The care I received from all aspects of the Center was at a level that far exceeds some doctors offices in the states. It seems to me that it wouldnt hurt some US medical offices to take a long hard look at the way they treat patients and family and try to be more like the incredible staff at OCC.

That being said, down 22 lbs already (pre-op and surgery) 80 more to go....

KIndest thanks...

Mark Webb

Great Going Mark!!!!

Great Going Mark!!!!

update ...I had my surgery on April 1st...lost 27 pounds so far feeling good. I am having a lot of heartburn anyone else experiencing this? Otherwise all is well...will be starting exercise this week!

I am 52. I live in Anchorage Alaska. My starting weight was 243, I am at 235 this morning. 5 pounds more to go before surgery. I am scheduled to have my surgery on Monday the 4th of April. I am reading everything I can at this stage on nutrition and really trying to make sure I do this in the healthiest way I can. I have been reading alot about the importance of isolate protein vs the concentrated protein. Has anyone found a shake that is mainly made up of isolates? Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Hi there, I am from Anchorage as well (relocated to east washington last mothers day 2010) how did your surgery go? Anything you could tell me would be terrific, I am looking to June for it to happen!

Aksonflower

Hi there, I am from Anchorage as well (relocated to east washington last mothers day 2010) how did your surgery go? Anything you could tell me would be terrific, I am looking to June for it to happen!

Aksonflower

where in Eastern WA are you. I am in Wenatchee

UPDATE!!! - I had surgery on 4/29 Friday and have lost 8.8 lbs so far!!! Re learning "hunger" has been a true challenge but one that must be overcome. I cannot say enough wonderful things about the staff, procedure or OCC facility! I have become a LOVER of hot herbal teas as they make me feel all better especially great to start my mornings! Talk to everyone soon!!

P.s. if you are reading this post trying to decide what to do....take my advice....close your eyes....think about all you have suffered, struggled with weightloss, up, down, up down! If you feel yourself starting to sweat and tense up.....now think of all the effort you have put in already and you get mad, frustrated and discouraged.....now think, imagine allow yourself to DREAM, that you can own a tool that is YOUR OWN STOMACH! That with your commitment will TAKE you to the promise land of health....go ahead contact OCC, you'll be glad you did.

I had my surgery on April 14th. Today marks one month post surgery. I lost 10 pounds prior to surgery and 21 pounds post surgery for a total of 31 pounds. I can't believe how much more energetic I feel alreasy. I am finally eating normal foods and have been enjoying eating several (much) smaller meals per day. I am so glad I underwent this procedure!

• 4 weeks later...

update ...I had my surgery on April 1st...lost 27 pounds so far feeling good. I am having a lot of heartburn anyone else experiencing this? Otherwise all is well...will be starting exercise this week!

Weight is coming off slower...