Not Losing Weight Post Plication

KrrnCan

I am really discouraged following my plication Feb.9th. I was really hoping that this would be the answer.

1.) I remain uncertain of what I should and should not be eating. I know that

1/3 -1/2 cup per meal is acceptable and that is what I have been eating. I eat my protein first and veggies. I stay away from pasta, bread and rice, I assume because it swells.

I have a high protein drink in the am and a high protein meal replacement bar at noon (nothing states that this is not acceptable)or soup. For dinner, I have a very small piece of chicken or fish with salad or veggies.

2.) I am walking daily (despite a knee injury from an accident in September) and working full time.

I have lost about 23-25 lbs (18 prior to surgery)since the surgical date. I have contacted Dr. Miranda about my concerns and she told me that it was probably a plateau and that I would hit a plateau every 20 lbs. That was about 3 weeks ago. It has been quite some time hovering around 223-225 lbs with NO WEIGHT LOSS for about 4 weeks.

WHY am I stuck here and not seeing any results?

I am so discouraged and disappointed, I don't know what to do anymore?

My husband thinks we chose the wrong surgery and spent all that money for nothing!

Not to mention how friends and family keep asking about my progress and I haven't really lost much post surgery!!!!!

Please OCC help me!

What am I doing wrong? Could this be hormonal? I cannot think of a solution anymore.

Hey Karen,

Are you keeping a food journal?

I would be curious as to seeing the specifics of that, including the ratios of fats/proteins/carbs.

How much exercise are you doing?

Is your knee still suffering the effects of your surgery back in September?

It is time to change that up - incorporate resistance training into your workouts, which is essential for many reasons beyond fat loss. Bone density in women in a huge reason alone, to start incorporating this. Have you ever weight trained before?

Do you have access to a gym?>

What is your height?

What is your age?

Are you on any medication(s)?

being over weight and having knee pain/injury is hard. I am going through that at the moment (having a MAJOR knee surgery May 4th) I was asked by the Dr to get in the best shape I can beofre surgery but I have only 2 options for working out that he will let me do. Exercise bike and anything water that doesn't make it hurt worse. I have since then joinned a water exercise class. I go in the early am 6-7am. I love it and it has been working well for me try to see what your area offers. I also know that keep a journal helps as you may be putting little things in your mouth that you don't even realize at times, Also write down what you are drinking.

being over weight and having knee pain/injury is hard. I am going through that at the moment (having a MAJOR knee surgery May 4th) I was asked by the Dr to get in the best shape I can beofre surgery but I have only 2 options for working out that he will let me do. Exercise bike and anything water that doesn't make it hurt worse. I have since then joinned a water exercise class. I go in the early am 6-7am. I love it and it has been working well for me try to see what your area offers. I also know that keep a journal helps as you may be putting little things in your mouth that you don't even realize at times, Also write down what you are drinking.

I am 47 years old and 5'2". My entire working life has been spent on my feet.

From last March until the accident in September - I was involved in an intense boxing workout with running, weights and resistance training for an hour and one half each week. My husband and I own two businesses and are very busy(i Know,i know). Since the accident, I have been helping to take care of my husband who was also in the accident and trying to regain the business we lost while we were recouperating. It has not been an easy time for us.

I am scheduled for an MRI on my knee soon, just waiting for the appointment time. There is pain there intermittently and after exercise it really hurts. It gives out on me at times. I also found out this week that the accident injured a nerve on the right side of my abdomen causing my right lung to be shorter.

Thank you for your thoughts on the food journal - I will start that today!

I will also look into low impact exercises. Walking may be causing further injury - I just don't know yet.

I have been watching calories etc. with everything thus far, but there has to be something that I am doing wrong. I am afraid that I have stretched the pouch, although i am not sure how i did that either.

I really wish that there was more post op diet instruction, even a "meal plan" to follow - the books I have purchased do not seem to have the information that I need. They target bypass, or band and not plication and I realize the reason is because plication is a fairly new procedure. I just wish there was more info from the start.

What are all of the recent plicators eating once they reach the solid food stage? This is what I would really like to know!!! Are you still feeling the restriction?

I appreciate the info from those who have had a lap band but I just don't think they really understand completely.

But I do listen to the comments anyway.

Are we still to taking the vitamins, we were on pre op?

Here's a question - should I still be taking protein shakes? and is this included in the daily water amount?

All answers welcomed!!!!

Hi, Yes contact Dr.Miranda, and keeping the food journal will help ID anything that is 'slipping in' and it will also help track your water intake. I had my plication done on Jan 27/11 and there has been 2 week weigh in's where I didn't loose a single ounce. I was missing the daily 64oz of water(which I count as liquids with zero calories as part of the H2O intake). I do eat alot of cold water fish and seafood like baked salmon (wild only....which is always Pacific ) with veggies, or tiger prawns, scallops etc................... and yes I do feel that 'restrition' you're asking about. Not really restriction as much as a feeling of being full. I also measure my portions since 'eye balling' it was part of what contributed to my weight gain orginally. If I remember correctly post surgery we are looking at 800-1000 cal./day. But it's the actually choices to make up the calorie intake will decided what the weight loss will be for that period of time. I also switiched exercise routines to aqua fit as it is much easier on a pre-exsisting Si joint injury. Hang in, talk to Dr. Miranda and remember...........we didn't gain this weight overnight, taking it off takes time. I hear the frustration in your post, try to remember it will get better.

Hi, Yes contact Dr.Miranda, and keeping the food journal will help ID anything that is 'slipping in' and it will also help track your water intake. I had my plication done on Jan 27/11 and there has been 2 week weigh in's where I didn't loose a single ounce. I was missing the daily 64oz of water(which I count as liquids with zero calories as part of the H2O intake). I do eat alot of cold water fish and seafood like baked salmon (wild only....which is always Pacific ) with veggies, or tiger prawns, scallops etc................... and yes I do feel that 'restrition' you're asking about. Not really restriction as much as a feeling of being full. I also measure my portions since 'eye balling' it was part of what contributed to my weight gain orginally. If I remember correctly post surgery we are looking at 800-1000 cal./day. But it's the actually choices to make up the calorie intake will decided what the weight loss will be for that period of time. I also switiched exercise routines to aqua fit as it is much easier on a pre-exsisting Si joint injury. Hang in, talk to Dr. Miranda and remember...........we didn't gain this weight overnight, taking it off takes time. I hear the frustration in your post, try to remember it will get better.

Thank you so much for this!!!

I have really felt alone and trying to figure this whole thing out. I cannot remember a lot of the details discussed by the doctors for whatever reason. When I met Dr. Ortiz in person - I was so high from the meds (i even apologized to him because i thought i was slurring my words) that i am now positive that i missed some key information from him. Everything was so fast for me, when i was there. It seems like a dream now - but I have the scars to prove it really happened.

Yes! I totally agree with a "full feeling" with meals. That is what I am experiencing too!

I will keep a journal from today forward (I haven't so far). These may be a stupid questions but here goes - you said you measure your portions, how much are you allowing yourself with each portion? I do remember the portion being 1/3 to 1/2cup per meal. Are you still using protein shakes? If you are, are you counting the liquid as part of the 64oz's per day?

I didn't even remember that calorie intake limit!!! I guess in some ways - I feel that I could have benefited from a week's sample food plan?!?!?!?!?

I so wish to hear what other plicators are experiencing with meals, their challenges and tips and techniques.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for this insight ktb2904. It has helped me to have your support and wisdom. Hope to hear from you again real soon!:-)

No problem, I took notes cause I just knew I'd forget things, drugs or no drugs.....terrible memory at times...age ya know.....lol............ I know when I'v eaten even a tablesppon too much cause I end up feeling nauseaed...to avoid that I try and work on this premise..............rather than trying to figure out how much I can eat post surgery, I try and work out how little I can eat and still feel satisfied, slightly different prespective. My 64oz of liquids do not include shakes, I count as part of those 64oz any liquid which has zero calories. I didn't do very well with protein shakes, Slim Fast was the only one I could drink without gagging it all back up. Here's a sample of what Ive eaten in the last 3-4 days...........breakfast...4-5 large strawberries, and a low fat Baby Bell Cheese, maybe 2 if I am still super hungry............usually 6grams of protein in each Baby Bell(lots of flavors now), or Laughing Cow spread on sliced crisp apples(usually only half of an apple), I don't eat eggs but if I did I'd include a small omlette, with one slice of a whole wheat extremely low cal bread like say Weight Watchers...............so far only 3 bread type products Ive tried is Melba Toast, Stonewheat Crackers, and one other cracker.............Lunch, usually leftovers from dinner........so 4oz of salmon, leftover veggies............and yes I do weigh or meassure my food. I made a Shepards Pie using lean ground turkey last week.............used that for a few meals......1/2c only with veggies not including the ones in the Sh. Pie. Usually say 4 aspargras, or 8-12 green beans. Lunch or dinner can be a grean salad(1c.) with fat free dressing(meansured) add leftover chicken diced up.........or diced chicken, with finely diced celery with 1/2t. fat free mayo or melted Laughing Cow..........that LC can be used anywhere you'd use mayo or cream cheese anyway.......wrap all the chicken etc in a lettuse left...you got yourself a sandwich. I do eat a lot of cold water fish and seafood cause they are high in protein and low in fat, but high in Omega's. So that's like say 4-5 large Tiger Prawns, or same for Scallops........I usually have one or 2 Lean Cuisines in the freezer for those days when I've not got leftovers or don't feel like cooking something fresh. I look for the Spa ones cause they are higher in protein and lower in fat and carbs. I have taken some of leftovers and mix in some melted Laughing Cow and spread it on some Melba Toast or Stone Wheat cracker. I buy the ones that are 60% lower in salt. Label reading has become a new hobby, so no more going shopping without my reading glasses...............I also try for say ones a week to have something I really love......for me that would be like spegetti sause with pasta....but instead of pasta I use spegetti squash.................works so great with the sause. I have also eaten a steak once............didn't go well, but I think it's because of where I ate it, at a not so good restaurant...............I have one rib eye steak which I will split into about 4oz each(might be just under of over depending on how I cut it).....but I know that cooked it is going to bew less than 4oz. Trick is don't eat fast.................take tiny bites and wait say 45-90 seconds between bit.......difficult to not be full after you eat day 4oz of salmon with green beans, or sliced tomatoes with sliced cucumbers..............the laughing cow on melba toast with sliced tomatoes and cucumbers is tasty and filling too.

One thing I dont' go anywhere without is Papaya Enzyme.......it's chewable and if you get gas........those gas stitches in yoru left side or just plain gas or you do end up taking that extra tablespoon of Shepards Pie..............the Papaya Enzyme will solve that problem super fast. Hope this helps some.....if you would like to email me, please do.........ktbaillargeon@gmail.com

Thank you so much for this very nice example of what you have been eating....it has helped so much to hear from you....words cannot express my gratitude!

I will try some of your suggestions/examples for sure and see how it goes and I will keep you posted. Hopefully any one else experiencing the same difficulties will read what you have here and benefit too!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that down for me...I hope to one day return the favor to you if I can.

Of course, if you have any other suggestions or comments please write to me again either here or karensestar@gmail.com

Many, many thanks to you ktb2904!!! You rock!!!

Similar thing is happening to my mother - she had the same procedure done at the OCC Oct 22 last year, but has only lost about 40 lbs. She is having her thyroid checked to see if she is overmedicated now that she has lost a little wieght. She's frustrated.

Similar thing is happening to my mother - she had the same procedure done at the OCC Oct 22 last year, but has only lost about 40 lbs. She is having her thyroid checked to see if she is overmedicated now that she has lost a little wieght. She's frustrated.

WoW!!! I can see why she may be frustrated. That has to be really hard. Tell her to hang in there ... to keep communicating with the Dr's both at the OCC and at home. Once she finds the true reason she may start to lose again soon! Did you also have the plication surgery?