JUNE SURGERIES

This is the topic for those who are scheduling their surgery during the month of June. Posting in this topic gives you the chance to meet other patients that are going to be in TJ during this month. So lets hear from the soon to be Gastric Plication patients.

• 3 weeks later...

Am heading there on the 9th surgery on the 10th. Excited, nervous, unsure but mostly determined. Can't wait for whatever the future holds for me but hope is holds more comfortable rides in planes and cars, less pain on my feet and knees when I stand or walk, more years to enjoy this blessing of life.

Am heading there on the 9th surgery on the 10th. Excited, nervous, unsure but mostly determined. Can't wait for whatever the future holds for me but hope is holds more comfortable rides in planes and cars, less pain on my feet and knees when I stand or walk, more years to enjoy this blessing of life.

Hi Ellemarie, I'll be there the 7th for surgery on the 8th. Maybe I'll see you! Good luck.

Kelly

Hi Ellemarie, I'll be there the 7th for surgery on the 8th. Maybe I'll see you! Good luck.

Kelly

Hi Ladies,

I'll be there on the 8th. But, I'm strongly consiering the gastric sleeve instead of the plication. It seems that more people are happier with their success rate with the sleeve than with the plication. Decisions, decisions. I'm going to talk it over with Dr. Oritz and see what his opinion is about it. Good luck to the both of you. Maybe I'll see you there!

Kim

This is the topic for those who are scheduling their surgery during the month of June. Posting in this topic gives you the chance to meet other patients that are going to be in TJ during this month. So lets hear from the soon to be Gastric Plication patients.

Hi all - well it's the night before my surgery. Tijauna makes me nervous, but the Marriott seems very nice. I haven't left my room since I got here. Apparently if you just call room service and tell them you are a patient of Dr. Ortiz they offer you the "package" which is a yummy popsicle (homemade juices, non of that fake store bought stuff) and chicken broth. I took an anxiety pill for the flight, and then another one while I was waiting for the driver (nerves). The second one knocked me out and I've been sleeping all day which I think is a good thing. I made the mistake of posting on facebook that I'm in Mexico, and my sister, who knows I'm having surgery just realized that I'm doing it in Mexico - I think my support from my family is starting to erode. I hope this goes well and that it works fabulously, or my credibility with my friends and family will be shot!!

Ok - I guess this is it for now. I probably won't post again until after my surgery. I'll let you all know how it goes. :)

Wish me luck, say a prayer, send positive loving thoughts - do whatever you do- I believe it all works!

Good night

Kelly

• Like 1

Hi all - well it's the night before my surgery. Tijauna makes me nervous, but the Marriott seems very nice. I haven't left my room since I got here. Apparently if you just call room service and tell them you are a patient of Dr. Ortiz they offer you the "package" which is a yummy popsicle (homemade juices, non of that fake store bought stuff) and chicken broth. I took an anxiety pill for the flight, and then another one while I was waiting for the driver (nerves). The second one knocked me out and I've been sleeping all day which I think is a good thing. I made the mistake of posting on facebook that I'm in Mexico, and my sister, who knows I'm having surgery just realized that I'm doing it in Mexico - I think my support from my family is starting to erode. I hope this goes well and that it works fabulously, or my credibility with my friends and family will be shot!!

Ok - I guess this is it for now. I probably won't post again until after my surgery. I'll let you all know how it goes. :)

Wish me luck, say a prayer, send positive loving thoughts - do whatever you do- I believe it all works!

Good night

Kelly

Kelly,

I am sorry you are going through the anxiety that you are experiencing. This is a wonderful new chapter in your life and you will come through with flying colors. Thoughts and prayers to you from Eastern WA

Good night

Kelly

We all go through anxiety, this is a huge change in your lifestyle. Tomorrow after you realize the surgery is so easy, then a few months from now you step on the scale and see your weight going down,, you'll be in love with your band or plication/sleeve pouch. Family support will come back after they see your results.

As far as FB goes, it's a PITA (pain in the @$%). More trouble than good. LOL

Remember, your choice to go to the OCC is probably the smartest choice. Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez are at the top of WLS

One of the reasons my daughter and I choose to NOT tell people is for the same reason. Last night she decided to tell her boss the truth (previously she just gave vague details to get the time off work) one of her co-workers overheard and said to her, "it's called diet and exercise...try it sometime", which normally would have sent her into a tailspin but she simply turned to the co-worker and said, "this is a private conversation and you need to mind you own business"

I was proud of her for standing up for herself however if she had to endure weeks of this I am sure it would test her resolve. As of now, only a handful of people know and mostly they have been supportive. Others may have feelings hurt when they find out but in the end we are comfortable with our decision to keep this a bit quiet for now.

We are packed, clothes laid out for our early morning departure and excitment is in the air. My hubby is feeling bad that he decided not to go with us but in a way I am happy to have it be only my daughter and I, one less person for me to worry about. I am so ready to start Chapter 2 of my life.

One of the reasons my daughter and I choose to NOT tell people is for the same reason. Last night she decided to tell her boss the truth (previously she just gave vague details to get the time off work) one of her co-workers overheard and said to her, "it's called diet and exercise...try it sometime", which normally would have sent her into a tailspin but she simply turned to the co-worker and said, "this is a private conversation and you need to mind you own business"

I was proud of her for standing up for herself however if she had to endure weeks of this I am sure it would test her resolve. As of now, only a handful of people know and mostly they have been supportive. Others may have feelings hurt when they find out but in the end we are comfortable with our decision to keep this a bit quiet for now.

We are packed, clothes laid out for our early morning departure and excitment is in the air. My hubby is feeling bad that he decided not to go with us but in a way I am happy to have it be only my daughter and I, one less person for me to worry about. I am so ready to start Chapter 2 of my life.

have a fabulous trip and enjoy the start of your new and exciting journey

We all go through anxiety, this is a huge change in your lifestyle. Tomorrow after you realize the surgery is so easy, then a few months from now you step on the scale and see your weight going down,, you'll be in love with your band or plication/sleeve pouch. Family support will come back after they see your results.

As far as FB goes, it's a PITA (pain in the @$%). More trouble than good. LOL

Remember, your choice to go to the OCC is probably the smartest choice. Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez are at the top of WLS

Well it is the next day and all has gone well. The whole thing was pretty easy. Thanks for everyone's support. I'm meeting great people and I feel fairly comfortable. Oh and I lost 17 lbs. Pre-op!!

Kelly

Just wanted to post here that we (my daughter and I) ended up with the sleeve instead of the plication. We both have issues with prediabetes and it was a better fit for us. We did GREAT and are home and excited about the rest of our journey.

Turns out we had nothing to be afraid of, everyone was beyond accommodating, professional and reassuring. All in all it was as pleasant an experience as having surgery can be.

We flew in on Thursday the 9th and then had surgery on Friday morning. We got to go to the hospital on Saturday afternoon. We were supposed to stay until Wed, but our drains had slowed and we both felt great to they let us go home on Tuesday early evening. All in all we were QUITE surprised how good we felt. We have absolutely no complaints with the surgery, doctors, nurses and support staff. Best thing we have ever done for ourselves.

Thanks - a few more questions. Did you fly or drive? What if any is the follow up with the Sleeve? I am in Seattle so I want to make sure I understand all the issues.

How are you feeling now? I have heard that you really don't get any hunger with the sleeve as the geralin generation portion of the stomach is removed.

Would you say you are able to drive now? Basic daily tasks?

Thanks

Donna C in Seattle

Donna, We flew from Phoenix to San Diego, the driver was RIGHT THERE absolutely NO WAY to miss him (and he was a sweetheart too!!). He took our bags from us immediately and we were on our way.

Like Plication the Sleeve will not require any follow up trips. Both of us were nervous to get the lap band as we are allergic to many things. As a matter of fact I had to follow up today with my family doctor because I got a VERY BAD allergic reaction to the adhesive on the tape they used. I am allergic to so many things and even though they used hypoallergenic tape on me I had a reaction anyway. (they used a very good name brand 3M micropore tape which is a very high quality tape that is known for NOT being a reactive tape but then again it is ME!! LOL)

I don't feel great because I am on very strong antihistamines and steroids now due to the reaction but other than that I feel GREAT, my daughter is perfectly fine, still a little bit tired but we are both taking advantage of the chance to have some down time and being lazy. We both feel way better than we had anticipated we would and if given the choice would still do this again in a heartbeat.

We are both driving, but as of yesterday with the antihistamines I have to stop until they are completed. My daughter is doing the driving now for us, we have been to the grocery store three times, and she took me to my doctor appointment. I have to say we were wiped out today but the temperatures were way over 100 and we were out in the middle of the day...we would be exhausted even if we didn't have surgery, Phoenix is brutal in the summer.

I have been washing dishes and putting them away, heating soup up (yummy) and straightening things out, my daughter of course in true fashion doesn't really help but it has nothing to do with surgery!! Picking up from the floor is a little too much, after all we are overweight and bending isn't easy anyway plus we are a tad sore. I would say by next week we could do more household chores but WHY??!! We will continue to by lazy for the next two weeks because why rush something even if you feel good. I worked for doctors for years and always counselled patients that even if you think you feel okay to do housework it will wear you out quickly so why push it. Pamper yourself and take it easy...you deserve it.

I'm scheduled for surgery on 7/05/11. I'm having a very tough time losing weight before surgery. I lose weight pretty easy, but I have a very busy lifestyle and I have no patience with hunger. I'm female, age 53, am 5'3" and weight 226 lbs. Does anyone know what will happen if I can't lose the 10 lbs I'm supposed to lose before surgery?