What happened to the forum?

EricaG

I'm kinda annoyed that the forum is not what it used to be. I remember back when everyone would update on their progress and motivate each other and everyone was pretty much a happy little WLS family. :) Everyone would share tips on what worked for them and were so active on the forum. I think I'm just going to take my support elsewhere. Anyone who'd like to keep in touch, is welcome to add me on Facebook. Message me and I'll give you my info. I wish everyone a successful journey. I won't be deleting my account, I just won't be checking my account so often. Am I alone on this?

• Like 1

I'm kinda annoyed that the forum is not what it used to be. I remember back when everyone would update on their progress and motivate each other and everyone was pretty much a happy little WLS family. :) Everyone would share tips on what worked for them and were so active on the forum. I think I'm just going to take my support elsewhere. Anyone who'd like to keep in touch, is welcome to add me on Facebook. Message me and I'll give you my info. I wish everyone a successful journey. I won't be deleting my account, I just won't be checking my account so often. Am I alone on this?

you are definitely not alone. I have been feeling much the same. You and I have talked (IM) before and I would love to connect with you on another arena such as FB.

Roxanne

It's true. I still check in everyday and read but the majority of the posts are around the gastric plication now and I see very few people posting about their lap bands. When I do see someone posting about their band or thinking about getting one I will usually reply.

Debbie

• Like 1

I too check back a few times a week, mostly to update my ticker. Not very many people on this site are active. I just thought it was because they reached goal weight. I still have a ways to go, so I will check in from time to time :)

I too have been lurking. I am usually on here at least 3 days a week, but like the previous bandsters have said, most of the posts are centered around plication. I too need some encouragement because I have been having a difficult time lately. Had gallbladder issues and now diagnosis of hypothyroidism. Gained a little bit back and having a hard time losing.

Ashley, can you give me some ideas of what your daily menu consists of? You have done a wonderful job and have been one of my inspirations. Glad to see some bandsters still lurking.

it is awesome that we have all come forward with the same feelings. I too have gotten into some not so good habits and am looking forward to seeing the encouragement and strength in numbers that I previously felt

Wow - I thought it was just me! Thanks so much for posting this. You know we are the ones that are in charge of this board - so start posting. I read all the areas - as I am a band patient and going in for revision with Plication. I am sad to lose my wonderful band - it has been a good 10 years - but due to an enlarged pouch - I had to do something before I gained all the weight back.

One thing I have noticed is thst we are all fighting similar issues and battles - regardless of what surgery we have/had. Please keep posting here and let's just kick this thing into gear...

I am posting a question a day in the plication forum...chime in with answers...you all have very valuable information to share...

Donna in Seattle

• Like 1

HEY DONNA, I DO HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU. WHY DID YOU PICK HAVING THE PLICATION OVER HAVING THE BAND REDONE OR HAVING THE SLEEVE? JUST CURIOUS. THERE SEEMS TO BE MORE AND MORE PEOPLE IN THE SEATTLE AREA AGAIN, LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER GET TOGETHER MIGHT BE IN ORDER :)

Great question.

First I think alot of us in Seattle had the band in the early days in TJ and we tend to all be having similar issues and looking at revision.

For me - I am only up 45 lbs (make that 39 now with the pre=surgery diet) and want to get back to having the tool to help me maintain and lose just a bit.

If I went with the Band I would have to have mine out - wait three months and then get another one. That's two surgeries, two trips and I would most likely gain in those three months.

With Plication, I can have the band removed and have the plication done at the same time. Plus I don't have to worry about fills and flouro again - which is a hassel and cost I would like to avoid. Also I did very well with my band and Dr. Ortiez feels i will do just as well with the plication and just have one surgery.

We are all different and have to make these choices for what suits us...this seems to be the best direction for me.

Thanks for asking..

Donna

Okay - I havent read any of the information on plication - I so have to go look that up right now!! A friend just emailed me and said she had it done last week...I had no idea she was going, and am curious about it now.

I still love my band. I do need a fill though. I had a baby well almost 10 months ago now and need a little more help again. I just really dont want to get filled too much ughhhh...what a pain.

Hi ALL -

I for one, am glad that you guys still post and try to support us newbies. It's like any support group, sometimes you are supportive and other times you are the one in need of support. You never know if you might be the one that has just the right words to help a person out, or if someone is going to offer you just the right words you need to hear. Just like any other support group, people come and people go, but the ones that stay are the backbone and they encourage new members along the way. So thank you all for being here and posting and updating your status! :)

Thanks Donna,

Yes I have been too tight - that is why I have been putting off going for a fill. It is done under fluoro - but I still had it be too tight once, as once I got home it was too tight and it sucked because I couldnt go for an unfil for about a month...so I had to be extra extra careful. I dread that happening again. I sure wish I had a place right where I live that did fills!

hang in there - before too long you will get to your sweet spot and then it will be no more fills for longer and longer periods of time. Once I hit my sweet spot I went almost 18 months between fills. Also it's becoming more and more common for US docs to do fills on non-US patients...

As I am getting my band out on the 1st - I am having a friend of mine who is a cancer nurse take my fill out - she deals with subdural ports all the time...and I don't have to worry about messing it up as it is coming out...but I would imagine that more and more docs will be able to do this as it's covered under insurance.

DonnaC

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

Yes... this forum has gotten very sparse. I found www.lapbandtalk.com several years ago and lots and lots of people are on it all the time. I am now on www.verticalsleevetalk.com which has given me a lot of great info about my upcoming revision surgery. I still monitor this one... but, my posts get two or three replies... whereas, on vertical sleeve talk... I get dozens.

Cheers, Dottie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone, and Hi Donna,

I was plicated, but I have to agree that as a WLS family, we do share some commonalities and it is the solidarity and mutual support that goes far and counts for a lot. I am committed to keeping this blog going and am here for anyone who needs moral support. I'm currently scouring the board for constipation remedies.. anyone? anyone? and am going to start the metamucil capsuls tonight, but if anyone has a better option, please let me know!

• 2 months later...

Agreed. I used to find this forum a great source of support, and am disappointed. I am 4 years post band. i am doing well and have stabilized at 125. Would love to be 120, but can't stay there without intense daily exercise and don't have a life that allows it. Love to hear fromsome really long term banders.

• Like 1