Recovery Times

Thought I would throw out a good general topic today and see if we can get some information on how recovery went for different folks. I am sure it's a bit different for all of us...

As this is a laproscopic process (and I have had one of those for both my band and my gallbladder removal) I sort of know what to expect.

I was up and walking right away to try and avoid the dreaded gas pains, but wonder with the plication if it will be as pain free as the others...as they are messing with your stomach alot more in this surgery.

So - can anyone tell us what the first and second day were like? Did you have gas, nausea, was the pain noticable? How soon before you were feeling fairly normal - like able to drive and go back to work?

Thanks everyone!

Donna C in Seattle (down 4 lbs on the 3rd day of the diet - at this rate I might hit goal before the surgery lol)

Hey Kelly,

I have hear from others that it is similar to the band - and is about the same in recovery. So up and walking within an hour of surgery with some gas and being tired. Then the next day if all went well you are ready to do some limited shopping and walking around. I vote for lounging by the pool myself, but I did go shopping the day after my band surgery so I know it's possible.

Hopefully there will be a bit more activity on the board. I am going to ask Carolyn to make sure the doc mentions the forum to everyone so that we get more folks up here...

DonnaC

I had my plication on April 11, 2011. Lost 15 lbs before surgery. Have lost additional 33 lbs since coming home. April 11 was a monday, flew home to Washington state on Wednesday, back to work following monday. I have a desk job, so wasnt too worried about getting back to work. That said, I think I am still recovering. I am on solid food now, but still do 1 protein shake per day. Have a hard time getting water in. How can you drink 64ozs of water without stretching your new stomach? After about 1/2 Cup I feel sick. Add to that no fluid for 1 hour after a meal. Dont mean to complain, I feel soooo much better now, cant wait to get to goal weight. Would do it again with no second thoughts. This is truely a blessing and a gift.

One of the added benefits is that sweet foods make me quezzy.

Blessings, Sandi

Hey Sandi,

You are in Washington State- I am in Seattle. So glad you posted and told your us your journey.

I am heading to the Band group dinner on Tuesday night to chat with several of my banded friends about plication...seems alot of us are in the same place - 8-10 years out and needing revision.

DonnaC in Seattle

Hey Sandi,

You are in Washington State- I am in Seattle. So glad you posted and told your us your journey.

I am heading to the Band group dinner on Tuesday night to chat with several of my banded friends about plication...seems alot of us are in the same place - 8-10 years out and needing revision.

DonnaC in Seattle

I'm in Portland. Let's here it for the Northwest!! Woot Woot! :D

Hi Had my plication done Jan 27, start weight 211, current weight 171, on a plateau and in fairness to my pliction, I need to get my fanny out walking. I had no surgery pain, had so interesting gas discomfort...here's what helped me..walking.....not lying down within 30 minutes of drinking something.........GasX........think it took about 2 weeks for my body to get rid of all the gas it absorbed during surgery. The other true life saves was and still is chewable Papaya Enzyme, (Walmart), very tasty, and does a super job on gas, don't use GasX anymore, do keep the Papaya around. My surgery was on a Thursday, traveled back to SD on Sunday am........by Tuesday was touring SD zoo.........and I'm in the Vancouver BC area Katie:) PS Day after my surgery I too was out exploring TJ.

Sorry Sandy, forgot to comment on the getting the water down, took me about 2.5-3 months to work up to 64oz. Not sure about the hour wait after eating s my instructions are to not drink 30 mins. either side of eating a solid. Is this what you meant by the hour thing? Katie:)

Thought I would throw out a good general topic today and see if we can get some information on how recovery went for different folks. I am sure it's a bit different for all of us...

As this is a laproscopic process (and I have had one of those for both my band and my gallbladder removal) I sort of know what to expect.

I was up and walking right away to try and avoid the dreaded gas pains, but wonder with the plication if it will be as pain free as the others...as they are messing with your stomach alot more in this surgery.

So - can anyone tell us what the first and second day were like? Did you have gas, nausea, was the pain noticable? How soon before you were feeling fairly normal - like able to drive and go back to work?

Thanks everyone!

Donna C in Seattle (down 4 lbs on the 3rd day of the diet - at this rate I might hit goal before the surgery lol)

We had our surgery on May 9. Had a complication with our esophagus' swelling & closing so we had to stay another night at the OCC. Neither of us had a lot of gas from the surgery, only after sipping/drinking. The papaya & gas-x help with that, as well as walking & deep breathing. We drove all the way to northern CA on day 4. Wouldn't recommend it, the roads are too bumpy & it was very uncomfortable. My husband was up & about quicker than me, but sitting upright was very uncomfortable, even with loose fitting clothes. because of the sitting, I didn't drive for nearly a week.

All in all, we made a great decision to do the plication. and can't wait for the new "healthier, happier" selves.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Sandy, forgot to comment on the getting the water down, took me about 2.5-3 months to work up to 64oz. Not sure about the hour wait after eating s my instructions are to not drink 30 mins. either side of eating a solid. Is this what you meant by the hour thing? Katie:)

Thanks, water intake is getting better. My written instructions just said, "No fluid for 1 hour after solids", didnt say anything about fluid before solids. Now doing the no fluid half hour before and after solids. Working pretty good. Blessings, Sandi

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!

I was back to work 7 days after surgery, no problems. I had 0 nausea, heartburn, or pain. I did have spasm in the stomach of varied degrees for about the 1st week whenever i drank something. I had the left shoulder/gas pain as well but not anything too bad. I did not even take a tylenol after I was discharged from the OCC.

thanks for all the great inforamtion. I am in the pre-surgery diet liquid stage and leave for TJ Thursday morning at the crack (and I mean crack) of dawn. So ready to get this done...

Also - got the special on the Botox and am having that the day after surgery - so yippie...that's my treat while I am down there..

I know when I got banded = I was not in any pain and had the same type of issues getting water down...but as they say "it gets better"...