Question of the Day - How much did you lose on the pre-surgery diet?

Well - I keep posting and hoping to get more folks to answer!

Today I thought it might be helpful to talk about the pre-surgery diet and not only what everyone is losing(or lost) but expectations.

I think that the more weight you have to lose the more you will lose in the pre-op diet. Probably it's about the same percentage of body weight lost though if you look at it that way.

For me - it's a goal of 5 lbs before surgery - and I am already down 6 lbs in a week. Now I was eating a bit more than I should have been before this week and the diet has made a big difference. My guess is that it will not be as good for the next week or two and then when I go to the 2 shakes a day and one meal and the last 3 days of liquid I will lose more (who wouldn't)..I am hoping to be down 15 lbs. Figure that way I only have 35 lbs more to lose to get back to my pre-band blow out weight. Then with the plication I should be able to maintain like I did with the band (fingers and toes crossed on that one)...

So - how has it been for you?

DonnaC

Today I thought it might be helpful to talk about the pre-surgery diet and not only what everyone is losing(or lost) but expectations.

I think that the more weight you have to lose the more you will lose in the pre-op diet. Probably it's about the same percentage of body weight lost though if you look at it that way.

For me - it's a goal of 5 lbs before surgery - and I am already down 6 lbs in a week. Now I was eating a bit more than I should have been before this week and the diet has made a big difference. My guess is that it will not be as good for the next week or two and then when I go to the 2 shakes a day and one meal and the last 3 days of liquid I will lose more (who wouldn't)..I am hoping to be down 15 lbs. Figure that way I only have 35 lbs more to lose to get back to my pre-band blow out weight. Then with the plication I should be able to maintain like I did with the band (fingers and toes crossed on that one)...

DonnaC

I was suppose to lose 10lbs. started my diet 3 weeks before and lost 15. The few days before when everything is liquid really helps. Sandi

DonnaC

Hi Donna,

I have been following your posts and I appreciate your diligence. I mean to respond but you know how life kinda gets in the way sometimes...

I am planning on having the gastric plication myself sometime in the near future. I'm waiting on my birth certificate so that I can get a new passport, then 'm booking my procedure.

I cannot say that I am without fear or anxiety over my decision. I know there have never been any fatalities at the OCC, but I have my concerns still. My other fears are failure. What I mean by that is that is I worry that I will not be successful in weight loss after the plication. I have read many posts of those who are unhappy with the time it is taking to lose weight and I wonder also if I will continue with my bas eating habits after the surgery. I honestly question myself and my strength to accomplish the work that is needed and to utilize the surgery as just one of the tools required to meet my goals.

Now I guess I should answer your post. Yes I too chose the 2 shakes and one lean cuisine type dinner daily. I did well for awhile on this, I have lost 12 lbs. But lately I have found myself hungry and I've eaten 2 dinners and even inappropriate snacks. I feel once I get my passport it will be time to hunker down and get serious. I need to lose 20 lbs before surgery. :(

As far as this plication being reversible, I never plan to have it reversed unless it is medically required. If I am able to lose the weight and keep it off why reverse it? It does seem that the stomach would kind of "heal into" itself after the plication, develop scar tissue and become permanent. I do hope I am making the correct choice in the plication vs. the band.

Well Donna, I will try to be better at replying to your posts. I hope you are doing well ...

Feather

Hi Donna,

I have been following your posts and I appreciate your diligence. I mean to respond but you know how life kinda gets in the way sometimes...

I am planning on having the gastric plication myself sometime in the near future. I'm waiting on my birth certificate so that I can get a new passport, then 'm booking my procedure.

I cannot say that I am without fear or anxiety over my decision. I know there have never been any fatalities at the OCC, but I have my concerns still. My other fears are failure. What I mean by that is that is I worry that I will not be successful in weight loss after the plication. I have read many posts of those who are unhappy with the time it is taking to lose weight and I wonder also if I will continue with my bas eating habits after the surgery. I honestly question myself and my strength to accomplish the work that is needed and to utilize the surgery as just one of the tools required to meet my goals.

Now I guess I should answer your post. Yes I too chose the 2 shakes and one lean cuisine type dinner daily. I did well for awhile on this, I have lost 12 lbs. But lately I have found myself hungry and I've eaten 2 dinners and even inappropriate snacks. I feel once I get my passport it will be time to hunker down and get serious. I need to lose 20 lbs before surgery. :(

As far as this plication being reversible, I never plan to have it reversed unless it is medically required. If I am able to lose the weight and keep it off why reverse it? It does seem that the stomach would kind of "heal into" itself after the plication, develop scar tissue and become permanent. I do hope I am making the correct choice in the plication vs. the band.

Well Donna, I will try to be better at replying to your posts. I hope you are doing well ...

Feather

I was banded in 8/10. I did the same pre op diet, but I remember it saying if you felt you needed it, you could add a cup of minestrone soup or a salad to your meal. That was my saving grace.

just saying

• 3 weeks later...

I'm scheduled for surgery on 7/05/11. I'm having a very tough time losing weight before surgery. I lose weight pretty easy, but I have a very busy lifestyle and I have no patience with hunger. I'm female, age 53, am 5'3" and weight 226 lbs. Does anyone know what will happen if I can't lose the 10 lbs I'm supposed to lose before surgery?

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older thread, but maybe this will give it new life. :) I am having plication done on July 20th and am on the pre diet for 2 weeks before procedure. Because I have so much trouble losing weight, I tend to yo-yo, do great for 2 weeks, then bam, eat off here and there and then mess up for a week, and go back on track, I started the diet knowing this about myself a month in advadvance. I started out at 221 and have lost 9 pounds. I am at 213. As I now have 2 weeks to go I have 2 more pounds to lose and feel confident I will make that, because i've gone off for a week, I can crack down the two weeks until procedure. For obvious reasons, I am somewhat concerned about yo-yoing after plication, but I am sure the financial investment will make me think twice. This is why I feel it will work. That and not wanting to become diabetic. I am riding a thin line just now, a dangerous flirtation with diabetes. I am happy to keep in touch with all plicators for support, and all WLS's for moral support.

You ladies made me smile! I had gastric plication on July 2nd - my own Independence Day. I "only" lost 9 of the 12 pounds that I should have lost on the pre-op diet. They didn't turn me away and did the surgery anyway. EVERYONE at OCC is fantastic. I was touched by their treatment and am envious of their jobs - the idea of helping people feel better is pretty powerful. What a way to earn a living - serving others!

I'm still on the liquid post opp diet and am looking forward to starting soft high protein foods on July 23rd. Today people are celebrating birthdays at work and there are pastries - my big weakness - set up right near my station. I thought it would be a HUGE challenge to resist, I'm thinking I could mush that donut around in my mouth. But NO, I was totally able to ignore them. Not being starving hungry is an amazing feeling.

I had my sugery the day before yesterday. My goal from OCC was to lose 17lbs before, I lost 22. I did start a few days early because I was concerned about losing that much in such a short time. I just followed the diet and it was fine. I did cheat a couple of times, but nothing major. One night I had a chicken taco salad so it wasn't too bad, not like I ate a bucket of KFC. LOL. My advice is just follow the diet and it will be fine...

OK!! (Hi to Pam, Southernguy and Laura)

Today is day 1 of all liquids, and tomorrow I fly to San Diego, so I this will be my last weigh in for how much did you lose pre-procedure. My total is 15lbs! I lost 7% of my body weight whick is perfectly within the lose 5-10%. WHEW! lol ok on to post at large :)