Help!! Gaining weight 5 years after surgery

I had my surgery 5 years ago and it was very successful I was originally 250lbs and within the first 8 months went down to 135lbs which was no easy task, I spend 2 hours a day, 7 days a week at the gym. I managed to keep the weight off for some 4 years which was great I met my now husband everything was wonderful, I looked great and felt great for the first time in my life. About a year ago I had a near slip all the fluid was removed and luckily the band re-adjusted itself. Unfortunetly my new insurance does not cover the fills so returning to get fills has been once every 3-4 months, in the interm I have gained 40 lbs - Originally 1 small fill would be enough where I would eat small portions and not get hungry but now I've noticed that even after a fill I'm still able to eat just about anything even steak - I do cardio 45 mins a day 5-6 days a week and watch everything I eat sticking to only proteins and salads every day but still I'm gaining weight - I have an apoitment next Monday for another fill and the Dr. has said, they want to be conservative with the fills which I understand, that considering all the fluid was removed that I haven't gained too much weight but 40 lbs in 1 year is way to much in my book - I'm at my witts end, I do everything I'm supposed to do and the weight just doesn't come off it comes on. Has anyone experienced gaining weight back after having the surgery for 5 year or more? And now that my insurance doesn't cover anything I feel desperate what do I do???

Hey there,

Unfortunately I am hearing more and more that banded folks are having problems. I was very similar to you - did great and lost 170 lbs...kept it off for about 6 years and then had similar issues with stretched pouch - 50 lbs later and 3 years - I am heading down to TJ with OC to get my band removed and revised to Plication. I tried several times to get my band to readjust but it just didn't work. I am going with Plication as it is the best option for me. I don't want to have to do two surgeries - get my band removed and wait three months to get a new one - that was not an option. Also I didn't want to deal with fills again if I didn't have to this time.

Good luck - talk to the doctors here - they are great and are very knowledageble about revisions and bands. I would say out of about 45 closer banded friends here in Seattle who started around the same time I did -over half have issues now with their bands..

Way I figure it - I had almost 10 years of great control - I am more than willing to get my "tool" redone at this point.

DonnaC

I haven't had my surgery yet, i plan to in the first part of next year. but now i'm reconsidering because i keep reading about people having problems with their bands after a few years and the Plication hasn't impressed me with the results i have seen. My question is how many bandsters on here have had problems with their bands after 4-5 yrs or more? Is it maybe due to them having a certain brand of band that isn't being used anymore?

Even though I'm having this set back, I don't feel that the issue is with the band itself but human error... my original issue was because the band was too tight. I also take some responsibilty because I began to get too comfortable and started to ignore what my body was telling me and the signals from the band, "when you feel full, STOP eating!" follow the rules don't eat the stuff that your not supposed to - and that was my biggest mistake - luckily I didn't have a slip, but do to these things I had to get unfilled and the result is my current weight gain and now I have to work hard to get back where I was. But I know other ppl that have the band and eat like their stomachs are still normal sized and stuff their faces, not only do they gain or don't lose weight they can do real damage to themselves... Personally i think getting the band was the best dicision I ever made and I'm so greatful I made it. If your willing to follow the rules to the letter for the rest of your life and work hard at it then the results are phenominal - and i know I will be a size 4 again, just have to work hard at it and not slack off, like I did before.

I agree with Elia, the band is a tool, we use it right - or we loose it. (right)....

I'm very aware of the issues and watch what happened to others and kind of set my own track. I lost over 140 pounds and I've had my band for almost 5 years. One of the keys steps I took is focus on teaching myself how to eat RIGHT. Not just in small portions, but what to eat. I went to classes, and retrained my mind on food. I eat mainly organic, and focus on healthy foods. I also exercise, almost daily - 5 to 7 workouts a week. And they are good ones, hard - I push myself. I think the main thing I hear when people see me in my workout clothes is they don't believe I was ever fat. I think much has to do with my intake of food, (the kind of food) and exercise along with water and suppliments.

You have to use the band as an opportunity to retrain yourself - if you have it, and keep doing the same habits you're not using it at its optimum. Its too easy to fall back into the old habits if you haven't created new ones, and that can lead to failure. We're all human it can happen to the best of us.

I have the fluid removed from my band so I can eat more - I need to now since I am finally eating right, and exercising. Otherwise I get too thin.

Its a tool, but its the best dam tool I've ever had in the fight over obesity.

Much love,

Lisa

wow even with the band and eating right for it for almost 6 years - once the fill was out I went back slowly to bad habits. I am one of those who just has to have the tool..

Congrats on all your hard work!

Rowan

Is it a tool, or a crutch? ..........

great question...the doctors call it a tool. It does help me - at least the band did to modify my eating behaviors. Can I control my eating - sure I can. For any length of time - nope it doesn't appear that is something I do well. I need help and the band did that and I hope the plication will as well.

Even with all the fill out - there is still some restriction if your pouch is not stretched. So you still have the tool in place..

Not sure what you were asking...but basically I don't care if it's a crutch or tool, as long as it helps me control my eating.

Donna

Hi,

I had the same problems as you, had my band for almost three years and three months ago I revised to the VSG--gastric sleeve. I am 10 lbs. away from the lowest weight I ever got with the lapband which wasn't even under 200. The sleeve is soooooo much better! I love it.