Liquid to Puree

Hello there, im new and WOW a plication forum!!!

I am 8 days post op, im a UK'er but banded in the Czeck Republic. There are not many UK forums as its not a UK WLS as yet, we are always so behind, but wondered If you guys can help my regime im told to stick to is- First 10 days Liquid then 14 days of Purée, apple sauce baby food consistency, then 14 days of Mushy foods, like mash potato and soft foods that can be mashed with the back of a fork.

I have had constantly weak bowels since surgery, I don't drink my clear soups too fast but regardless of slimfast or soup its outta me in the similar way it went in. Any ideas on changing maybe what I eat or on bowel movement. So many seem to have constipation and im other other way. I do take my Multi Vit with Minerals daily, Milk Thistle and Omerperozol still for reflux.

Hi Bluebear!

The US doesn't do Plication either, so we have all had our surgery by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. I just had mine 7 days ago. My problem is that I am STARVING! The hunger is overwhelming. I drink water, I get in the protein shakes and yogurt drinks, but within an hour I'm starving again.

Do you have that?

I wouldn't expect that you would have a bowel movement like what you are used too because you are on liquids. No real food for your system to process. I made the mistake of drinking apple juice without diluting it first - it caused what Dr. Ortiz said was rapid transit (explosive diarrhea). Not fun considering I was strolling around a resort in San Diego at the time!

I have had the explosive back end and now its stopped. My tummy now communicates in growls. Grrr she wants a drink. Grrrr rrrrrrrrr she wants food.

Oh wow so you guys go to Mexico. I went via Cosmetic Bliss to Czeck Republic was fantastic, Surgeon was really nice and good reputation too, I think they do some US patients too. He said most don't get the hunger thing some do. So far since 8 days I haven't once thought "Oh im hungry"

Well I had 1 weetabix cereal this morning ate about 2/3 in a lot of milk so was like not solid and was really nice and bound me up a bit. Protein shakes are awful I just can't drink them. I have a nice chicken casserole puréed up for the weekend, cant wait to eat something not liquid.

Hope your journey is going well Kelly, minus the bum thing ;)

I am on the pre-surgery and found a great protein drink by Naked - protein zone mango that I like and it really seems to fill me up and my stomach seems to like it as well.

I think just from surgery your bowels would get out of sync...I use a pro-biotic that seems to help get things back in shape.

Glad you aren't hungery - that would be the pips after surgery.

DonnaC

My pre op diet was the Milk diet, was horrible but I lost 12 pounds pre surgery.

It consisted of skimmed milk and erm.. thats it. I drank a Latte for breakfast had a Slimfast shake for lunch and a Milky Coffee or Slimfast for dinner. 2 litrs of Water a day. But I had a very fatty liver and it needed to be reduced, I could of gone for the 800Cal low fat high protein diet but this was out for me as normal food would make me cheat, I chose my diet as I know normal food would of opened up the world of cheating. I also took Milk Thistle tablets to help prepare my liver.

I hated it.. but when you lose a bit of weight doing it you know Surgery will be better and that weight is NEVER coming back on makes it seem ok for two weeks!!!!! Good luck x

Wow! It seems really hard :/

I feel anxious and sometimes sad, because days are getting closer and I'm concerned about how I'm going to feel after the surgery!

I'm not a veggie fan, and I know for sure that I will need to learn to love them! I stopped drinking sodas, a month ago, and I feel pretty good.

I will let you know my diet as soon as I can!

Now after the surgery, do you feel hungry sometimes?

Odi, don't let your dislike for veggies concern you. MANY people have a shift in the things they liked before vs what they like after. Just relax and go with the flow. And I know from talking to SO many people that the after surgery part is not nearly as scary as we think it will be. My daughter and I still can't believe how good we feel and we are 10 days post op right now.

Hi, I agree, don't worry about the veggie thing, I wasn't a big veggie fan either. I had my plication surgery on Jan 27/11................did the 2 slim fast and one meal per day plus said good bye to pepsi, which I know for sure I was addicted to. I didn't get hungry in the first 3 weeks, then I started soft foods(no mushies on my eating plan).......so soft food was anything i didn't really have to chew........like baked salmon, shepards pie, mashed veggies like carrots and turnips.............now those are yummy. I was also introduced to making my own protein shake from this forum...........1c. skim milk or almond milk, 1-2 scoopes of vanilla or no flavor powder protein, a dash of vanilla, frozen berries like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries. and for me 1/2t. of honey...................into my magic bullet.................so yummy................I switched not just what I ate bit in what order I ate..............so now it's protein first, then veggies, fruit and only then if I am still a tad hungry, about 1-2 T of say brown rice, or tiny baked potato. What I notice the most is prior to surgery I was always hungry................never felt full.........sometimes stuffed, but in a few hours I felt hungry. Now when I get hungry, it's like a reminder to eat. Now I eat about 30-35% of what I use to eat. I have learned by trial and error my own do's and don't's ..................I know some who have had surgery still feel bad hungry. If that happened to me, I'd be onto my surgery's office right away. Aftercare is part of what I paid for. So far I've lost 44lbs, the last 9 were much slower that the early days and that's okay with me. I know if I do the work and use my tool, I will loose the last 30 lbs. Everyone has nerves and loads of queries before the surgery,. so do ask. Cheers, Katie

thank you for all the words! you make me feel so much better!

yesterday i tried an omelet with tuna fish, and it tasted really good.

ktb, that protein shake sounds GOOOOD!!

what about alcohol? can you have a glass of wine for example on weekends? what of your old habits can you eat?

i will try to include veggies on my new eating habits one step at a time.

Hi Alcohol is not recommended, if I remember right for at least 6 months. Your tummy is so much smaller, the space needs to be reserved for the good stuff, and booze is empty calories, which during the initial adjustment and learning new habits, you may want to consider holding off on the drinking until you are well on your way to your goal weight. . Carbonated drinks are also on the no-no list, as the CO2 in the bubbles will stretch out your new tummy size. There is not much of my old habits hanging around, esp portion sizes. So far, I can eat everything except any kinda smoked meat, like smoked ribs when I was in NC on vacation. I do my best to avoid foods that are high in fat........for me that would be all those sweet baking things, fried food, switched to oven fried with the scantest amount of olive oil sprayed on from one of those misters................mostly it's how I prepare foods and portion size. I eat a lot of salt water fish(higher in protein than fresh water fish), seafood on the bbq seasoned with lemon or line and a tiny brush of olive oil. I also eat lots of chicken and the white part of turkey. Jenno O does a white meat only turkey pattie.......................33 grms of protein and total cal of 170. I have become one of those label readers...........lol............I use to think they were nuts reading all those labels in the grocery store..so now I am one of those nuts..............................lol.........I use ground white(not dark) turkey meat in any recipe that calls for ground beef. To tackle those veggie dislike........I started off grilling them on the bbq..................carrots slices thin and on a slant, aspargras ........................zucchini sliced on the long side about 1/2 in thick, the tinniest bit of olive oil brushed on and some finishing rock salt just before serving. So to answer your question, I eat more variety, which I introduced slowly, and smaller portions with protein first and no liquids 30 min either side of a solid. Hope this helps..oh in the beginning I cut any solid protein like chicken in to tiny tiny pieces, and still chew lots and eat slow. I'd say that was and is the hardest new habit to learn..............again hope this helps with some ideas, and that protein shake recipe I got from Lindsay on this forum, and it is delish! Cheers, katie