Has anyone had the band work better later rather than earlier?

Hello. I was banded back in August 2010. I have an 11cc band, it's at 5.5cc. In the early months of my banding, the weight loss was very slow. Lately it has really picked up. I find that I can't eat as much as before... so, the weight is coming off faster... Like 3 lbs/week. I also find that for so long I stayed away from alcohol. I have tried to have a drink now and my stomach immediately throws it up.... It certainly isn't that I've had too much to drink, it's like as soon as it hits, it comes right back up! Anyone have any ideas or thoughts. I am just suprised and hoping this is somewhat normal?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. I was banded back in August 2010. I have an 11cc band, it's at 5.5cc. In the early months of my banding, the weight loss was very slow. Lately it has really picked up. I find that I can't eat as much as before... so, the weight is coming off faster... Like 3 lbs/week. I also find that for so long I stayed away from alcohol. I have tried to have a drink now and my stomach immediately throws it up.... It certainly isn't that I've had too much to drink, it's like as soon as it hits, it comes right back up! Anyone have any ideas or thoughts. I am just suprised and hoping this is somewhat normal?

Now I'm wondering if it's slipped or something, I just dont' know what signs to look for..

It almost sounds as if you have some swelling going on. If you're tighter now without a fill - you have to think why? Are you eating more salty foods, under stress - have you been throwing up more, start writing down things that are happening so you have an understanding of why this is happening. It could also be that you changed the way you eat - are you eating your protein first and not chewing as good.

The alcohol thing is differant - its a liquid, it should go down easy so its upsetting your stomach, make sure you aren't drinking on an empty stomach - eat a little cracker then try a little drink - see what happens.

You just have some differant issues. I would take a look at yourself - and if you can't figure it out on your own go in and have it looked out to make sure you haven't had any issues.

Take care - and good luck!

Lisa

It almost sounds as if you have some swelling going on. If you're tighter now without a fill - you have to think why? Are you eating more salty foods, under stress - have you been throwing up more, start writing down things that are happening so you have an understanding of why this is happening. It could also be that you changed the way you eat - are you eating your protein first and not chewing as good.

The alcohol thing is differant - its a liquid, it should go down easy so its upsetting your stomach, make sure you aren't drinking on an empty stomach - eat a little cracker then try a little drink - see what happens.

You just have some differant issues. I would take a look at yourself - and if you can't figure it out on your own go in and have it looked out to make sure you haven't had any issues.

Take care - and good luck!

Lisa

Thank you Lisa for responding... there are days I can't eat much and other days I feel like I was never banded... I need to do just what you said and write things down and try to figure it out.. yes I have been throwing up more which almost made me think it's slipped, but it's not consistent... sometimes drinking tea makes me sick, sometimes I can eat chicken flautaus and feel fine.. it's odd.. and my last fill was 4 months ago and this just started..

Try going back on a pure liquid diet for a week. I know its hard and it sucks but if you haven't slipped it, but you have some swelling going on it may take care of it. If it doesn't work - go in and have it checked. Pretty much the rule is if you can't get anything down (liquids) you may have a slip. But I've done what you're doing - had problems where it comes and goes. That generally tells me I need to slow down, go on liquids, look at my life and how/what I'm eating and examine what I'm doing. Its always has worked for me. I pretty much know my band killers, stress, salt, not chewing - eating to fast - too much and PBing.

Take care and keep in touch.

Lisa