Is my fill too tight?

I had a fill using floro last Friday in Nashville. I was only able to eat 2 oz of chicken yesterday and 3 oz today at lunch today. It took me about 25 minutes to eat it. Before that I was only able to tolerate protein shakes, yougurt and cottage cheese in very small amounts. I am wondering if I should go back for an unfill on Friday or not. I have lost about 8 pounds since Friday and I would really like to be able to keep my current fill if I can. I also have trouble with liquids if I don't sit down and relax when I am drinking. Today at the gym I tried to drink water when I was on the treadmill and I about threw up. I was ok when I got off and drank it slow and waited for it to go down. Does anyone else have this happen?

I have a history with my fills being too tight even using with Floro. When they take out fluid then I am too loose and can eat about anything.

Any suggestions?

ps I am cooking fish tonight so I will see if that will go down or not.

That is not 'normal'.

If you're gagging on liquid (water at the gym) you are definitely too tight.

If you're only taking in an average of 3 oz of chicken (breast, specifically) a day, that's about 30g of protein.

You should be taking in about 1g of protein per POUND OF BODY WEIGHT per day.

Ie. I weigh 145lbs, and take in a minimum of 140g of protein A DAY.

That is not 'normal'.

If you're gagging on liquid (water at the gym) you are definitely too tight.

If you're only taking in an average of 3 oz of chicken (breast, specifically) a day, that's about 30g of protein.

You should be taking in about 1g of protein per POUND OF BODY WEIGHT per day.

Ie. I weigh 145lbs, and take in a minimum of 140g of protein A DAY.

Lindsay,

Thanks so much for the reply. Yikes........ I had no idea about the one ounce of protein per body weight. My doctor who did my fill said if I could eat 3 oz of protein each meal that was enough. He even said I did not have to eat anything except for protein , water and vitamins until I reach 75 percent of my weight loss. Also that it should be about 600 -800 calories a day. My trainer who is a dietitian is having a fit when I tell her about only eating protein. Today I was able to have a protein shake for breakfast , 3 oz chicken for lunch and 3 oz fish for dinner. I was able to drink today without having any problems at work. I still am debating driving four hours tomorrow for an unfill. I wonder if I can increase the protein like you said and not have any problems. What is your typical diet that you eat each day? You look wonderful...

Thanks so much for the reply

Lindsay,

Thanks so much for the reply. Yikes........ I had no idea about the one ounce of protein per body weight. My doctor who did my fill said if I could eat 3 oz of protein each meal that was enough. He even said I did not have to eat anything except for protein , water and vitamins until I reach 75 percent of my weight loss. Also that it should be about 600 -800 calories a day. My trainer who is a dietitian is having a fit when I tell her about only eating protein. Today I was able to have a protein shake for breakfast , 3 oz chicken for lunch and 3 oz fish for dinner. I was able to drink today without having any problems at work. I still am debating driving four hours tomorrow for an unfill. I wonder if I can increase the protein like you said and not have any problems. What is your typical diet that you eat each day? You look wonderful...

Thanks so much for the reply

Hey Sherri!

I'd be curious as to why your (registered?!) dieition/trainer is having a fit you're only taking in protein?

She needs to reminded you're going goal is fat loss. I would guess she's not under the full understand of what the lapband is.

Most (i'm going to generalize) doctors & professionals in the diet/nutrition field don't understand the entire 'i can only eat 1/2c of food PER MEAL', which is what us lapbanders are dealing with. To them, it's completely barbaric, and unhealthy.

We can not eat nearly as much as they'd like to see us eat ... therefore, we have to really be cautious of what we do put in our system, to ensure we're being smart about the calories we do take in.

High protein diets are extremely common for weight/fat loss, as it causes the least amount of muscle mass.

If you feel your energy is low, increase your fats (ie. add a Tbsp of flax oil on your chicken, then eat) -- this will really make a huge difference.

You will be adjusting your diet, based on your results and the way you feel.

Carbohydrates are completely unnecessary, if you feel your energy levels are manageable.

Because we have restricted amount of room in our stomach, we really need to ensure we're taking in VALUABLE food sources.

I would NOT suggest going below 1200cal a day .. I don't know what professional would suggest 600-800 cal a day if you're working out regularly.

This will not only deplete any muscle gains, it can also do a lot of damage in terms of bone density, and blood sugar levels.

It can also do serious long-term damage to your metabolism, which is a bitch to get back into gear ... once it slows down ...

While you have great weight loss at first, on an extremely low caloric intake, it will come to complete halt --- at which time, you'll need to reset your body by taking in even MORE calories, usually in the form of protein.

What is your height & current weight and bodyfat %?

Also, what is your current workout routine like?

How many cc's do you currently have in your band?

And now many does it hold?

Hey Sherri!

I'd be curious as to why your (registered?!) dieition/trainer is having a fit you're only taking in protein?

She needs to reminded you're going goal is fat loss. I would guess she's not under the full understand of what the lapband is.

Most (i'm going to generalize) doctors & professionals in the diet/nutrition field don't understand the entire 'i can only eat 1/2c of food PER MEAL', which is what us lapbanders are dealing with. To them, it's completely barbaric, and unhealthy.

We can not eat nearly as much as they'd like to see us eat ... therefore, we have to really be cautious of what we do put in our system, to ensure we're being smart about the calories we do take in.

High protein diets are extremely common for weight/fat loss, as it causes the least amount of muscle mass.

If you feel your energy is low, increase your fats (ie. add a Tbsp of flax oil on your chicken, then eat) -- this will really make a huge difference.

Carbohydrates are completely unnecessary, if you feel your energy levels are manageable.

Because we have restricted amount of room in our stomach, we really need to ensure we're taking in VALUABLE food sources.

I would NOT suggest going below 1200cal a day .. I don't know what professional would suggest 600-800 cal a day if you're working out regularly.

This will not only deplete any muscle gains, it can also do a lot of damage in terms of bone density, and blood sugar levels.

It can also do serious long-term damage to your metabolism, which is a bitch to get back into gear ... once it slows down ...

While you have great weight loss at first, on an extremely low caloric intake, it will come to complete halt --- at which time, you'll need to reset your body by taking in even MORE calories, usually in the form of protein.

Lindsay,

Thank you so much for your post.

My weight today was 185 and I am 5-6. I am able to eat protein still but if I drink cold drinks fast that gives me more problems. Especially if I am not relaxing when I drink , like when I am working out hard.

I am a bit tired and I think I do need more fats .. I will get the flax seed oil and maybe try to add some avocados. I think you are right about needing more calories on the days I work out.. My cardio monitor says I burn about 500 calories from my work out.

I am working out with a trainer twice a week at the gym 1/2 hour weights and 1/2 hour cardio. I also do cardio on the third day myself. Today I am going to start a beginning running class that will end in a 5K in September. They meet once a week and then give us a plan for two more days to run a week at home. It looks like today we will walk for five minutes and and run for one minute during the group. Hope my knees hold out.

I have the 12 cc Johnson and Johnson band from the OCC and it has about 10cc's. I don't think they use this band in the USA. My doctor here was not used to adding so much fluid. I had to assure him the OCC said it was OK.

I am not too fond of eating protein. I do like the Greek Yogurt , string cheese, and cottage cheese. The chicken and fish are getting old. I am not too creative on ways to prepare them.

Do you have any suggestions on other proteins?

Thanks again for the info..

Hey Sherri!

Lindsay,

Thank you so much for your post.

My weight today was 185 and I am 5-6. I am able to eat protein still but if I drink cold drinks fast that gives me more problems. Especially if I am not relaxing when I drink , like when I am working out hard.

I am a bit tired and I think I do need more fats .. I will get the flax seed oil and maybe try to add some avocados. I think you are right about needing more calories on the days I work out.. My cardio monitor says I burn about 500 calories from my work out.

I am working out with a trainer twice a week at the gym 1/2 hour weights and 1/2 hour cardio. I also do cardio on the third day myself. Today I am going to start a beginning running class that will end in a 5K in September. They meet once a week and then give us a plan for two more days to run a week at home. It looks like today we will walk for five minutes and and run for one minute during the group. Hope my knees hold out.

I have the 12 cc Johnson and Johnson band from the OCC and it has about 10cc's. I don't think they use this band in the USA. My doctor here was not used to adding so much fluid. I had to assure him the OCC said it was OK.

I am not too fond of eating protein. I do like the Greek Yogurt , string cheese, and cottage cheese. The chicken and fish are getting old. I am not too creative on ways to prepare them.

Do you have any suggestions on other proteins?

Thanks again for the info..

Do you know what your bodyfat percentage is?

This is a much clearer indication of your body composition.

If you haven't had your bodyfat tested, I would recommend you get it done .. not with a scale (they're terribly inacurate) but with calipers, or even better, if you're near a facility that offers the BodPod, you should go and get it done. It's amazing ... esp as you really watch your progress kick start from here on in.!

A trick: Have you tried drinking with a straw? I find this really helps me with gas, and keeping liquids down, esp first thing in the morning.

It's one of those things I always use now - a straw!

Are you using a HRM (heart rate monitor) during your workouts?

If so, what kind is it?

As you're losing fat, you're building muscle, which is something you want to maintain.

As for Protein ... I don't really eat for pleasure anymore. Protein is protein. It gets boring after awhile .. :) Join the club, sista'!

I don't go for dairy as a protein source -- I take a calcium supplement, and I don't like the the way dairy makes me feel (bloated).

I wouldn't pick dairy as a protein source --- not a great one, as a whole ... so don't reply on it as your protein source for a meal.

Chicken. Beef (lean), Turkey, Salmon, Talapia.. what kind of fish are you eating?

Fresh? Wild? Farmed?

(Stay way from canned.)

You could also do a post-workout protein shake .. I believe I had a post on here, on my protein shake recipes.

Try doing a search for it, and let me know if you can't find it .. I'll repost.

You can make up to 2 meals a day, a shake. They're kind of what I tend to go to, when I don't feel like eating (like when it's really hot outside, and i'm not hungry AT. ALL. :)