Anyone from Canada here? Manitoba (Winnipeg) specifically?

I'm new to this forum and how to navigate around it, so hopefully this is the right place to post this. Is there anybody out there in Canada? Particularly Manitoba (Winnipeg)? I'm looking into going to OCC for vertical sleeve gastrectomy and wondering if there is anyone local who is willing to discuss their experience? Thanks for any responses.

I am from Saskatchewan,I can't tell you anything about the sleeve surgery as I had the plication surgery done last Dec at OCC. It was a great experience going there and would do it again if I had to. They are very professional and no need to be scared. I am going down there in a week for some plastic surgery.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I am from Spruce grove Alberta. I had the sleeve done. I had my surgery on OCT 31! I just got home late thursday night. I had a great experience and I went alone.

I am from northern alberta booked for a VSG Feb 4th 2014. Dr. Ortiz OCC. Hoping for a great experience- any suggestions??

I am from Fredericton, New Brunswick.

My fiance had the VSG July 2013 by Dr. Ortiz. I am going for the same in February 2014. Good experience with OCC last July. Dr. Ortiz is an excellent surgeon. He repaired my fiance's hiatal hernia (my fiance didn't even know he had one) during the VSG surgery.

Our only concern was that a couple of the nurses could not understand/speak English very well, so at times there was a language barrier.

However, Dr. So is AWESOME and will answer all your post-op medication questions. He is a gem. :) We asked for the post-op medication list from Lori (coordinator) prior to going to Tijuana because our extended health plan covers medications. There was only 1 medication that we couldn't take with us to the surgery. This saved us a few dollars since the OCC charge you for the post-op medications when you are discharged.

Suggestions?

- Pack light. Crossing the border into the U.S. is way easier when you're pushing someone in a wheelchair with a light suitcase vs. a heavy one!

- Get your post-op medications ahead of time and take them with you to Tijuana if you have coverage here at home.

- Take an iPad or tablet and sign up for Netflix! My fiance would watch a 1/2 hour show on Netflix, go for a 10 minute walk, and repeat. Makes the time go easier and helps you get walking after the surgery.

- At the Marriott restaurant, make sure you ask for the "OCC soup" or "OCC popsicle". There is no charge for these items. The restaurant staff are all very good at knowing what is and isn't included free of charge for the OCC patients.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi, everyone! I'm from Beaumont, AB, just out of Edmonton. Surgery is on May 2! Thank you all for posting! I'd love to chat with anyone in my area or do support groups or something. Karent, thank you so much for the advice. I hadn't even thought of bringing my own meds with me. I have extended medical coverage too, so I'll definitely do that! Thanks for the advice on the iPad too!

• 1 year later...

Hi Jack, This forum is for patients and future patients that are mostly self-pay and coming to Mexico/OCC for their weight loss surgery. If your looking for advice concerning the Canadian Health care system, you might want to seek out our Canadian patients or another forum.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I am from northern Alberta and i am 40 years old with 4 children ages 7, 12, 16 & 17 who are all involved in a sport. i am thinking of getting some sort of surgery done but not sure as to yet what I should do. How was your post op healing and have you lost what you wanted and how long did it take you? I need to lose at least 100lb

I'm from Calgary and have my revision gastric sleeve surgery booked for January 26. I'm 51 and have well over 100 pounds to lose. I was somewhat successful with my band in 2006, and lost 75 pounds, but gained back 85 after it slipped and de-filled. Would love to hear others struggles and successes.