Bandsters in Florida

I've heard that there is a place in Tampa that's resonable. I know several people that have picked Tampa for their first fills. But I don't know where in Tampa or the name of the place. It could be a Fill Center USA place????? I'll check into it or maybe some other members of the forum might be able to give you that info.

Guest lookin4hope
I was just wondering if there are any bandsters out there in Florida. I met some great people when I was in TJ, but it would be nice if there were someone around that we could occasionally get together for support and maybe socialize with someone that understands what we are dealing with. It would be very cool to be able to get together.

I live in Orlando. I know one other person here that got it done 9 months ago and I just got it done in March. Scheduled for my 1st fill on the 16th of April

Guest lookin4hope
Hello everyone

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz this past Thursday (4/5). After making the long trip back home, I've decided I won't be able to telerate the trips back to TJ for fills. Where is everyone else getting their fills? I'm in Orlando. I would love to meet any local bandsters for support, or even have a fill get together, lol!

I live in Orlando too. I was banded on 3-7-07. I would love to chat. I know one other person here who has had it done.

I am trying to stay away from the Fill Centers USA location in Tampa. I've read too many negative comments about this location. Where is everyone getting their fills? I would really like to have the first few fills with fluro (figure I've invested way too much $$ into this for a blind fill).

The whole malpractice/medical insurance situation in Florida is totally out of hand. I've called a ton of surgeons in the area and no one is willing to take patients banded in Mexico. What was most surprising to me is that Dr. Lee Grossbard (who was trained in Mexico, is one of the co-founders of Fill Centers USA and was banded by Dr. Ortiz) won't take patients banded by Dr. Ortiz either! What in the world is going on? *sigh*

I am willing to travel anywhere in the state for a fill doctor that uses fluro and won't bankrupt me in the process. (Heard Dr. Kim is great, but $1000 just to be accepted as a patient is a little crazy.)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I am due for my first fill around the 20th of May. If anyone else in the area wants to get together before hand (meet, exercise, share a ride...whatever) let me know! The forums are great but I would love to have a local support group.

Ok... first off - as for Dr. Grossbard - he will ONLY fill patients he banded, it has nothing to do with Dr. Ortiz!

Try to find another location for www.fillcentersusa.com that is near you - if not, give me a call and I will help you find someone else that can do a fill for you in Florida :)

Ok... first off - as for Dr. Grossbard - he will ONLY fill patients he banded, it has nothing to do with Dr. Ortiz!

Try to find another location for www.fillcentersusa.com that is near you - if not, give me a call and I will help you find someone else that can do a fill for you in Florida :)

Oh I know it has nothing to do with Dr. Ortiz... but its frustrating that even after being banded by a Mexican surgeon that this doctor would exclude other patients like himself. Per Dr. Grossbard's office, he will accept patients banded in the US only (its not exclusive to patients he has banded). He will not accept any patients banded outside the US.

I was filled in Tampa. Went there because they said they had Fluoro - she looked at it with the fluoro and then put me on the table and did a blind stick, overfilled me - on a Friday no less, by Sunday I couldn't get water down and had to make another trip to Tampa to have some taken out. She's a very nice person, but I won't go through that again. I'm going to check on St. Pete before I make another decision - if they do it the same way, I will travel to TJ for any more fills. It's a long trip, but it can be done in one (very long) day.

Good news is, after she adjusted it, I've been fine, but beginning to think about another fill in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...

My Name is JC I live in Ridge Manor about 40 miles north of Tampa.

Banded in TJ. October 2006.

Dr. Ortiz

Highest weight 350

Pre-op weight 315

Current 228

Goal 215

Very Very Close!

I have used the Tampa Fill Center with great results. I would however, be interested to know if there is a Fill Dr. in Florida that uses the fluoro the way they do it in TJ.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz, Sept.'06 and am so grateful for the band.... I have lost 60 pounds so far and feel great.

I have gone to TJ for 2 fill , the last one being early Feb.

But, anyhow, I have an aquaintance in Orlando who is VERY interested in having a band... She went to a doctor but he tried to talk her out of the band and was pushing bypass.. she is very certain that is NOT the route she wants to go .. I am looking for the names of Florida doctors who are pro band and might accept United health insurance...

Any names will be appreciated. Thanks for all of your input..

Peggy

I am from the St. Pete / Bradenton area and would love to see a group of us get together and just have a social gathering.. ANy ideas or comments????????

Peggy

I just had an unfill today. The Fill Center sent me to an Advanced Nurse Practitioner in St. Petersburg. I could not have been happier, she has fluoro and knows how to use it. I honestly felt like I was in TJ. and am very happy to have found her!!!!!

JC

Hi, can you provide more info on the nurse practitioner in St Pete? Will she follow all patients or by referral only. I have not had surgery yet (June 29th) but wanted to find someone closer to home for the fills. To be honest, its the after care that makes me nervous. Thanks for the info!!!

COCO :-h

Hi, can you provide more info on the nurse practitioner in St Pete? Will she follow all patients or by referral only. I have not had surgery yet (June 29th) but wanted to find someone closer to home for the fills. To be honest, its the after care that makes me nervous. Thanks for the info!!!

COCO :-h

Millennium Medical

Kathie Gonzales

727-541-2675

She is affiliated with Fill Centers, aside from that she really seems committed to HELPING lapband patients succeed. If you consult with her you will know what I mean.

I got myself into a situation that had me thinking of an emergency visit to TJ all I can say is thank GOD I found her!!!

JC

Hi All,

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz, Sept.'06 and am so grateful for the band.... I have lost 60 pounds so far and feel great.

I have gone to TJ for 2 fill , the last one being early Feb.

But, anyhow, I have an aquaintance in Orlando who is VERY interested in having a band... She went to a doctor but he tried to talk her out of the band and was pushing bypass.. she is very certain that is NOT the route she wants to go .. I am looking for the names of Florida doctors who are pro band and might accept United health insurance...

Any names will be appreciated. Thanks for all of your input..

Peggy

I am from the St. Pete / Bradenton area and would love to see a group of us get together and just have a social gathering.. ANy ideas or comments????????

Peggy

Sorry it took me a while to respond, but I think that would e a great idea, you can count me in.

JC

• 7 months later...
Millennium Medical

Kathie Gonzales

727-541-2675

She is affiliated with Fill Centers, aside from that she really seems committed to HELPING lapband patients succeed. If you consult with her you will know what I mean.

I got myself into a situation that had me thinking of an emergency visit to TJ all I can say is thank GOD I found her!!!

JC

Hi JC

I am from Bradenton. Are you still goingto Kathie Gonzales? I am trying to find someone good and local.

Thanks for your help :)