12 weeks out and can't eat

I am 12 weeks post surgery and can't eat more than a couple of ounces of solid food at any given time. It really doesn't matter what the food is, but I will give you some examples.

Three bites of pot roast, two bites of broccoli, one small piece of carrot. Full.

Lettuce wrap (4 small (1/2 inch cubes) pieces of chicken, zucchini, carrot, sauce). Full - had to throw up.

6 blue corn tortilla chips with a small amount of low fat cheddar melted on top. Full

I can't eat any potato products or any pasta products without dumping. I never get to eat fruit and very little veggies because I am always trying to get protein.

I feel like I am getting weaker because of lack of caloric intake and protein grams.

Anyone else have this problem and how did you get through it? I know I should go to the doctor, but I lost my job in January and have no income nor insurance any longer. Trying to get through this without additional medical costs if at all possible.

Thanks for your suggestions and help.

Lorraine

weaker is not the lack of food. That is lack of liquids. You will feel better with liquids, iron, vitamin B.

That is about how I was 12 weeks post op you will be able to eat more if you chew VERY well and take a full 20 mins to eat.

What about your blood pressure? I was on blood pressure meds and ended up cutting my dosage in half. Did the trick. Stopped taking them all together at about 3 months. I find that broccoli fills me up more than some other things and if I eat salad that has very little dressing, does the same thing. I think it's the water in the salad items. I kinda feel sloshy. If it's covered in Caesar dressing the weight helps and it goes down better. Ooh did I say that.....I mean I don't eat Caesar dressing.....I've just HEARD that! :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is about how much I can eat now too and I'm 14 weeks post surgery - I drink lots of fluids and I exercise quite a lot, and I feel great. I only feel sick if I eat too fast or don't chew enough. Lettuce does really bother me, because its hard to chew up well, so that might be your problem there - same with the tortilla chips - I only tried one chip so far and it was just too crispy for me. I wouldn't eat another one. You are doing a good job eating dense proteins if you are focusing on chicken, and the pot roast is a good choice too, but again, dense and hard to chew well, so you have to really take your time. I could only eat 3 bites or so too before being full. Sounds like your sleeve is doing it's job. Don't know why you are dumping on potatoes/pasta - its usually sugary foods that cause dumping (when your body dumps the excess sugar into your blood stream and you have sweating, heart racing, vomiting and diarreah (sp)) but I would stay away from those foods anyway - they don't do anything for you nutritionally and they are sliders anyway, that don't help you to feel full for a long time. It sounds like if you slow down, chew more and increase your fluids, you are doing well. Watch out for stomach acid issues too- I had to take my antacids again for awhile because I was having hunger pangs that turned out to be excess acid production. 3 days on antacids cleared that up. Good luck and I hope you feel better!

• Like 1

I've never feel good if I don't have protein and feel myself getting weaker. Try smaller, pea sizes bites of high protein items and chew the crap out of it. Or try and drink something high in protein just to get yourself feeling better

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having surgery on May 2nd and all this talk is scaring me!

IT is a major surgery and a life altering experience.. I would be worried if you were not scared. The only advice I can give being 2 years out is get as much weight off in the first 10 months as you can. Be good get your protein in and start exercising as soon as you can ... JUST WALK WALK WALK if that is all you can do.