Gastric Sleeve Patient Experiences wanted!

Hello, 

My name is Jarrett and I'm researching VSG at OCC in Tijuana. Are there any patients in the Las Vegas area who've had the procedure and would be open to discussing their experiences with OCC? 

I'm new to the idea of going across the border for medical care and I've never had surgery before. I'm nervous and hearing from some previous patients would be helpful. 

Thanks!

My weight was out of control all my life, going to the OCC was one of the smartest things I ever did. I did a lot of research back in 2006 and chose the OCC. At that time the lap-band was being offered and the OCC, Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez were "The Place and The Doctors" to go for band surgery. It was a life changer back then and in 2006 the band was the #1 surgery for bariatrics. As time goes by, they found the band had issues and it went by the wayside with the VGS taking its place. Back when I researched places to go for banding, I found that the OCC was on the leading edge of new techniques and procedures concerning bariatric surgery. Today the OCC is still leading the field when it comes to the VGS. Techniques and procedures invented and used at the OCC are being copied by most of the Doctors and hospitals throughout the world now. I'm not paid to moderate this forum and I do this as a volunteer to help other patients. You can't go wrong with going to the OCC, They are the best in the field.

Jarrett, I am a nurse in an Endoscopy unit in Thunder Bay (Canada). The OCC in Tijuana is an excellent clinic. I had no problems- follow all orders and you should have a good outcome. They are all very experienced and have been doing this for a good while. Dr. Ortiz is very dedicated. Hope this helps. Donna08

I traveled from WA state in 2012 for my surgery.  Everything was great. I would go back for other work if and when needed.  For me when I went back in 2012 you had to walk across the boarder home.  I don't know what the rules are now it would have been nicer if we could have all just stayed in the van as it was a little rough dragging your bag, and the line was terrible and the driver told us to just cut the line and gave us a wheel chair for one. Other than that it was fantastic. Oh and the crossing the boarder back home was comical with what I explained above once we all cleared we were just laughing. I had fun with my group. 

• 1 year later...

Hello! I was banded in 2003 and have maintained most weight loss to goal, until last 2-3 years. Recent BA swallow shows probable slip and large hiatal hernia, although I have few symptoms and little trouble - only occasional reflux..

I'd love to hear experiences of those who have had a revision from band to sleeve. 

One procedure? 

Did you have hernia repaired too?  Did that make it harder? 

How about reflux? I hear it can be bad after a sleeve. Can they cut the vagal nerve to stop the reflux? 

How is the hotel?  Walking distance to hospital (for my husband, who will come too) 

What have your experiences been?  Hoping to hear from newbies as well as those 3 or more years out.

Thank you so much!

Sandy

If you were banded in 2003, my opinion is that your way past the average life of the band. Most patients of that era only got 6 to 10 years out of the band before having issues. The OCC uses the Marriott in TJ for the patients and companions to stay post surgery. For info pertaining to reflux, hernias, etc, contact the OCC and talk to one of the surgery coordinators at 866-376-7849

Thanks, I know I'm quite lucky - (but I also remember Dr Ortiz telling all of us that "when they dig up graves, they will find bands"  - meaning he expected the band to last forever and we'd be buried with it still in place.) Allergan said the band's life was expected to be around 10 years. 

I also was pretty good about following the guidelines and also never accepted an over-fill.