burning pain / heartburn pain after you eat

Ok that makes things much clearer. I've heard a few people say they have that problem after six months but 1 week after surgery is new to me. Definatly talk to your doctor as this could be a sign of something wrong or it could be your body adjusting and therefore nothing at all. Hopefully it's the latter but at this stage it's better to be careful.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest blueskies7890
yes, sorry by eating i mean drinking liquids, broth, soup and jello. thanks george

Hi,

I get pretty frequent heartburn currently (I'm unbanded). I'm not on anything like Prilosec but I do eat about 3 or 4 Rolaids a day. Is it common to get heartburn with the band? I'm wondering if it will get worse if I get banded.

Thanks

Robin

Hi,

I get pretty frequent heartburn currently (I'm unbanded). I'm not on anything like Prilosec but I do eat about 3 or 4 Rolaids a day. Is it common to get heartburn with the band? I'm wondering if it will get worse if I get banded.

Thanks

Robin

Robin...

Stop the Rolaids. Don't take anymore. Rolaids contain calcium carbonate and that causes a rebound effect. In other words, when you take Rolaids it gets better but then comes back worse than it started out to be. Rolaids are BAD as are TUMS. Talk to your doc about Prilosec, Nexium, or some other proton pump inhibitor.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd try the prilosec. I've been on it for YEARS and it helps so much. Of course, the other poster is correct that lap-band is supposed to help with acid reflux, but that may take time and doesn't happen for everyone.

Hi,

Thanks

Robin

• 10 months later...
Robin...

Stop the Rolaids. Don't take anymore. Rolaids contain calcium carbonate and that causes a rebound effect. In other words, when you take Rolaids it gets better but then comes back worse than it started out to be. Rolaids are BAD as are TUMS. Talk to your doc about Prilosec, Nexium, or some other proton pump inhibitor.

Robin...

Heartburn can become a critical problem. Prior to being banded, I never experienced heartburn. Now, I am on Nexium, but still experience twinges after certain foods ( dairy, some fruit, coffee - I only have one coffee a day). I am now considering having the band removed, as I don't want to spend the rest of my life on heartburn meds. Additionally, the band prevents me from eating many healthy foods, such as certain vegs and fruits, low fat dairy and some complex carbs, due to the restriction in the stomach. I also believe my digestion has been weakened. I agree with the comment above on antacids. Unfortunately, I find that if you are experiencing acute heartburn, even the meds can take a while to kick in,whereas an antacid is immediate. I also wonder whether, despite the side effects of antacids, isn't it better to neutralize the acid asap - that in itself is causing harm to the stomach lining. If you are considering being banded, consider this carefully.If you already experience heartburn prior to eing banded - personally - I would not consider the procedure. Good luck!

i to had that problem but after a few weeks about 4 to be exact it slowly statred going away.well on a another note i had sergury on 10/03/2007 and so far ive went from 447lbs to 388lbs i can not beleive the amount of weight that has and contenues to fall off every day ive been able to start going to a place called planet fitness there are a lot of people like us there and they are great i feel great thank god for the lap band