Question re food in wks 2 & 3 post-op

grandmax3

Hi everyone: I was banded on May 3, 2005; I've been on boullion, jello, etc. for week one, and we were told that on day 8 we can have non-fat yogurt (thank heavens - it tasted delicious!), and on day 10 add protein drinks. My questions are: (1) when can we have creamier soups? and (2) is there a phase when we start solid food when we are supposed to have it mushy? I wasn't able to get answers from the clinic, although I thought the care of Drs Ortiz and Martinez was absolutely wonderful.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Katie

5/3/2005

Still at pre-banded weight

Please call the office and see if you can get them to verify. It is important you follow their instructions for YOU!

I had protein drinks around (milk based ones) about day 10. But I had different circumstances. Trying to still breastfeed a baby. I used the clear liquid ones before that to keep hunger at bay and the gatoraide to get enoguh carbs to maintain milk. But again different situation.

13 months ago when I had surgery with Dr. Ortiz

My post op diet was as follows.

week 1 clear liquids

week 2 clear liquids ( but at day 8 I was able to add skim milk and at day 10 I was able to add protein drinks.

week 3 full liquids ( anything that went through a straw, like blended soups)

week 4 mushy foods like oatmeal, refired beans, cream of wheat, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, hummus, soups

week 5 mushy foods

week 6 solids.

It is important to follow his pot op instruction for the first 6 weeks, the band needs to set in place and the incisions need to heal. Any digestion of solids or mush foods before the 4th week could be dangerous since the band has not fully set in place, digestion requires alot of turning and churing of the stomach and solid foods before 6 weeks requires lots of digestion and the band and port stitches have not fully set into place, the risk of your band slipping is greater during this time if you eat solids too soon.

I think Dr. Ortiz has modified his food instructions a bit in the last year. I didn't have a long mushy stage. You can e-mail Drmiranda@obesitycontrolcenter.com for clarification. You can certainly e-mail Dr. Ortiz or call Dr. Martinez w/any questions as well.

Dr. Miranda is VERY strongly saying NO MUSHIES these days! It is veryyyyyy hard because at 2-3 weeks you will be hungry (I was even cramping) but you will get the most weight loss benefit. At 21st day, you go straight to solids. You are allowed creamy foods 14th day. She will give you an entire packet to follow. I lost mine and had to call....she specifically said "NO MUSHIES" in a loud and serious tone!

Thanks everyone - especially KarenB and JennaR - it was the change in the instructions that confused me, as it seems most other doctors recommend a transition stage of mushies.

I have the printed instructions from Dr. Miranda and now remember her stating "no mushies" and discussing what "mushies" are. But, I wasn't clear as to whether that's once you start solid foods, or what. My instructions only go through week 3. I haven't had any luck emailing Dr. Miranda - I've tried it three times, and my questions haven't been answered.

Thanks again.

Katie

Hi, I am booked for surgery next month, so I sure don't have any inside info, but I'm guessing that the new directive (no mushies) is because it would be too easy at that time of first hunger, 2-3 weeks after surgery, to accidentally eat with old habits ( too much, too fast, not chewed enough). Mushies are foods that we used to eat without chewing (even though there are lumps and chunks) and mushies are foods that can be thoughtlessly eaten too quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I'm post-op for 3 days now with the lap-band. My surgery was done in Derbyshire, England, by Professor Larvin, he has been doing WLS for over 20 years. I feel he has a very good success rate. The team he works with have this surgery and proceedure down to a fine science and have laid out a meal plan for me that will put me onto ordinary foods in approx 2 to 3 months.

I was given yogurt in the hospital as part of my allowed 'liquid' diet. (this was the day after surgery). I am allowed strained canned or homemade soups as well as slimfast soups and shakes, along with yogurts, jellos and anything else deemed liquid. I was advised by my dietician to add 2 teaspoons of dried milk to my soups so I am assuring enough protein in my diet and finally I must try and drink at least 2 liters of water a day (but that's something we all should do, every day!). I also take a mulit-vitamins and minerals tablet (Forceval). But I have to cut it in half and take it with my yogurt.

Thus far, I have had no issues taking in any allowed foods. And, I am pleased with the desired amount of food I'm feeling full with. According to the information packet I received at my pre-operation assessment, I will be on this 'liquid' diet for up to 5 weeks, this is to allow the skin around the band to heal properly. Then I will go to more 'mushy' foods, using a blender to pureed meats or veggy chunks. I'll also be allowed over cooked pastas with sauce and rice. This mushy food period will be for a couple weeks, then on to normal foods.

I intend to make healthy choices as I know this surgery isn't a miracle fix and I have to change poor eating habits to make this a complete success. As well as a new way of life. I've started out at 18stone2. but at my pre-operative assessment a little over 2 weeks ago I weighed 18stone 12. So far down 10 pounds, not so bad in my book!

I'll be happy to share the diet details with anyone who would like to know more. I hope were all here to provide support and advice for eachother during this life changing time for us.

Kind Regards

kozmic_tulip

Hi Kosmic

I am very interested in learning more about your diet. I am getting the lap band this Friday and I am so excited at the same time nervous :lol:

If u can, please e-mail me the diet to randyomar@aol.com

I hope everything goes well with you loosing pounds every day.

Regards,

Randy Omar.

I am getting banded in a few weeks & am very excited!!!

I have Dr. Ortiz book & am wondering if the info. in it is the same instructions as he gives now for post-op eating. Should I follow the book or wait to get instructions from him at surgery time?

I wanted to stock up on clear liquids & mushy foods before I have the surgery.

Hi,

I too had Dr Ortiz perform my surgery on 5/26. The first three weeks are liquids - jello, broth, water, Gatorade, etc. On day 8 you can add yogart (with no fruit); on day 10 you add protein shakes, preferrably 3 a day. On day 22nd you begin solid foods, with no drinking during meals. They no longer want you to have a mushy food phase. Hard but doable, especially since I am down 14.5 lbs in 12 days! Good luck.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Well..i'm one month post op with my lap-band, down 20 pounds (that's going by the weight i was for my pre-operation visit, which was 2 weeks before my surgery) i'm very please with these results. i'm now on pretty much a regular diet..still trying to stick to soft-ish food types, but i do assure all is chewed to a mush before swallowing. My portions sizes are reduced like i never imagined, I have all my meals on tea size plates. It's so fabulous to eat that amount and feel full. no desire to snack or graze like i did in the past. I like my new way of eating. it's just 'normal'. no dreaded dieting feelings!! But, i do think it's important to follow certain basic rules. 5 fruit and veg a day, skin the chicken..no fried foods..things of that nature..i walk for excercise. It all seems to work..and my band still hasnt been inflated. I want to be healthy, not just thinner...

WHOOO HOOOOO!!!! i'm finally on the road to recovery!! :D