Fill Centers USA

I've just been looking at this recently. The nearest Fill Center USA is about a 4 hour drive from my house. I had to decide whether to try that, or go back to Tijuana for my next fill. I decided to go back to Dr. Ortiz. But I am very interested in exactly what they are what you get for your money.

Becki

I've just been looking at this recently. The nearest Fill Center USA is about a 4 hour drive from my house. I had to decide whether to try that, or go back to Tijuana for my next fill. I decided to go back to Dr. Ortiz. But I am very interested in exactly what they are what you get for your money.

Becki

The fill centers here in Idaho do not use flouro or xray. I have heard nothing but horror stories about them from the people in my support groups. No chance that I am going to risk a blind stick and someone stabbing a hole in my port. They are cheaper than flying to MX, of course, but when you consider the cost of a mistake...Nita

Becki

I will have to dsy that I had mu first fill in Moultrie Georgia, 4 hours from Atlanta. I drove there and back in ine day. I wanted to go to Mexico but, it was just to expensive to go in December. The ladyid Moultrie is wonderful. SHe is professionsal and did a great job for me . I will return to her in the future. I woud love to go to Mexico but my schedule will not permit it right now.

Nita,

I was afraid of that. I wouldn't be comfortable with a blind stick either. Wouldn't that be terrible......have the surgery and all but then have someone poke a hole in your line creating a leak? :o You know the old saying....you get what you pay for. I'm sure there are some centers that operate better than others but I'm with you on that risk of puncturing something. Paula

Nita,

I was afraid of that. I wouldn't be comfortable with a blind stick either. Wouldn't that be terrible......have the surgery and all but then have someone poke a hole in your line creating a leak? :o You know the old saying....you get what you pay for. I'm sure there are some centers that operate better than others but I'm with you on that risk of puncturing something. Paula

Paula, I guess some people are braver than others. For me, having surgery was a very big deal, cuz I am a chicken. The thought of someone poking and poking or poking and stabbing a hole in my port is unthinkable. But I do know other people who are actually considering doing their own fills.....thats just scary...nita

• 2 weeks later...

I had a fill done by Dr. Martinez(?) on 1/13. My husband and I were discussing the fill centers with the doctor as we travel from Northern Cal. We too were worried about the flouro or xray. He said there was a conference not too long ago and the fill centers attended. The Fill Centers USA have agreed and understand their business will not pick up until they purchase the flouro machine. They have committed to doing this - so, hopefully, we will soon have good options available to us. Yeah!

more and more FILL CENTERS USA are using Fluoro. You can check their website www.fillcentersusa.com and call their toll free # and they can tell you which centers use fluoro and which are pending.

If that isn't possible, please make sure you check out the background and experience of the person doing your fill.

As always, please try to return to our clinic for your fill...especially that first one!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I had been using Fill Centers USA, but the lady who was doing fills in Moultrie, GA, is no longer doing fills there. She is now in Roswell, GA. That is a 5 hour drive for me. I really don't want to drive that far if I can help it; I finally found a doctor in Albany (2 hours away) who will see me. I have an appointment in 2 weeks. Don't know yet what the charges will be, though. It may be way out of my range. The lady from Fill Centers USA is really good, uses flouro every time, hits the port with no problem, always gets it just right and is a wonderful person. What more could you ask for? Decisions, decisions.

I've gone to the lady in St Petersburg, FL (Kathy Gonzalez) and she was terrific! In addition, she gave a packet of information that was incredible. I think it is assembled/provided by Fill Centers USA. She did use flouro and asked me a lot of questions. We will definitely be going to her again. Fill Centers USA has also called me every month since my fill to see how I am doing. The downside was the 8-hr round trip to St Pete from Ft Lauderdale.

• 4 weeks later...

I also went to the Fill Center in St Petersburg, FL and feel like they did a very professional fill compared to others I have had. She was very patient with me because I was unsure how I was feeling as far as the water going down. Also I was in Florida on vacation from WI so I knew I wouldn't be able to come back right away if I was filled too much. After a month of being back home I've decided to go for another Fill at Fill Center in MN (about 2 1/2 hr drive). I don't think they have Fluro tho so kinda scary. Has anyone had a fill in New Prague MN?

• 2 months later...
I've gone to the lady in St Petersburg, FL (Kathy Gonzalez) and she was terrific! In addition, she gave a packet of information that was incredible. I think it is assembled/provided by Fill Centers USA. She did use flouro and asked me a lot of questions. We will definitely be going to her again. Fill Centers USA has also called me every month since my fill to see how I am doing. The downside was the 8-hr round trip to St Pete from Ft Lauderdale.

the lady you mentioned is in the fill center in st petersburg? or she is affiliated with them? I live about 1.5 hrs from there and am probably going there for my next fill. went to mexico for the first, and decided that i will never have it done without flouro, and i know the fill center in st pete uses it.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Diana

Can you advise if this lady is open on weekends or only weekdays? Also, what is the cost to go to the fill centers. I am in Ontario but its still alot cheaper to head down south than west, and travel time would be so much less.

Thanks

Karin

Hi Diana

Can you advise if this lady is open on weekends or only weekdays? Also, what is the cost to go to the fill centers. I am in Ontario but its still alot cheaper to head down south than west, and travel time would be so much less.

Thanks

Karin

Hi Karin--I PM'd you :)

I went to OCC for my first fill and spent a considerable amount of money on a plane ticket and hotel. They used a fluoroscope and I have almost no restriction, so I'm not "sold" on the necessity of a fluoroscope.

I looked into getting a another fill in the Chicago area. Most places don't use a fluoroscope and most places won't accept patients from Mexico. If they do, most of them want a $500 fee "join the practice." I move frequently and I don't want to pay a $500 fee every time I need to join a new practice.

Since I move frequently and it is difficult to find an aftercare provider, I wanted to be part of a Network. Today, I'm going to the Fill Centers USA location in Irvington, IL. It is an 8-hour round-trip drive (I wish they had a location in the Chicago area, but they add new locations all the time). Most of the Fill Centers USA locations do not use a fluoroscope, but they have a 72-hour Overfill Readjustment Policy.

I paid a lot of money out-of-pocket for this band and I want it to work! I'll let you know how it goes.

Fill Centers USA is a network of aftercare providers. The locations appear to be existing medical facilities which have agreed to provide aftercare as part of Fill Centers USA.

Yesterday, I went to the Fill Centers USA location in Irvington, IL. I drove over four hours and I was a little nervous when I pulled into a town with only 750 residents. The medical facility was easy to find and it appeared to be a thriving practice. I signed in and the receptionist asked me to complete some paperwork, but she seemed a little confused about what paperwork I needed to complete. I arrived about 25 minutes before my appointment and I was called back at about my appointment time. They took my height, weight, temperature, blood pressure, and pulse. They led me to an exam room and they asked me to initial and sign some more paperwork. They also gave me a "Members Lifestyle Welcome Packet." After about 5-10 minutes, Denise came into the exam room. We discussed my surgery, fills, restriction, etc. She had me lie down on an exam table to access my port. She inserted the needle through my skin which felt like a pinch. It took her several minutes to find the exact center of the port. She withdrew the saline from my band and then she began to fill my band with saline as I stood up and drank ice water. The water seemed to go down okay until I had 5cc's of saline in my band. At that point, the water seemed to "hang" in the middle of my chest. I also began to feel dizzy and have cold sweats (which she attributed to the vagus nerve). She withdrew the saline and I sat down. When I felt better, she began filling my band again as I drank ice water. She stopped at 4.8cc's of saline, because I began to feel the water "linger" in my chest before it entered my stomach. Denise was pleasant and professional. She took her time and she seemed genuinely interested in giving me the best possible fill. I hope to experience good restriction when I start eating soft foods tomorrow and solid foods on Friday.

I went to OCC for my first fill and spent a considerable amount of money on a plane ticket and hotel. They used a fluoroscope and I have almost no restriction, so I'm not "sold" on the necessity of a fluoroscope.

I looked into getting a another fill in the Chicago area. Most places don't use a fluoroscope and most places won't accept patients from Mexico. If they do, most of them want a $500 fee "join the practice." I move frequently and I don't want to pay a $500 fee every time I need to join a new practice.

Since I move frequently and it is difficult to find an aftercare provider, I wanted to be part of a Network. Today, I'm going to the Fill Centers USA location in Irvington, IL. It is an 8-hour round-trip drive (I wish they had a location in the Chicago area, but they add new locations all the time). Most of the Fill Centers USA locations do not use a fluoroscope, but they have a 72-hour Overfill Readjustment Policy.

I paid a lot of money out-of-pocket for this band and I want it to work! I'll let you know how it goes.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I know (from reading) that it's around $100 for the flouro for fills, but what does Fill Centers USA charge, other than that? I haven't been able to find ANYTHING in way of actual pricing....

Thanks!

I live in Southern California so take this with a grain of salt as my understanding is it really depends on where you live in terms of pricing. If you live in an area where the cost of living is lower I think they charge you a lot less. For the fill center usa nearest to me (about 1.5 hours away from Los Angeles - go figure) they charge about 300.00 AND THAT IS WITHOUT FLUORO). There is no center in California that currently has fluoro as an option.

Note: IMHO, the Fill Center has a unreasonable 'consultation fee' I was quoted, while the fills themselves are ok priced, the consult fee is what kept me away.

They also require you to 'hold' your appointment by paying in full, without seeing/visiting the facility first, which I was uncomfortable with.

If i'm driving down from Toronto, I'm not paying for something without seeing it first.

They would not issue a refund if I changed my mind about it, upon arrival.

I know I posted about my experience communicating with them in this forum, which is from a Canadian's perspective.

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showtopic=9689&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

• 3 weeks later...

I live in the DC area and also went to Kathie in FL. Flew in got the fill and flew back home. Went to her twice very happy. Then Fill Center USA called to say a new location was opening an hour from my home. Dumb me decided to try that and the woman poked a hole in my tube and tipped my port! I had to fly back to Ortiz to get that fixed and now I go to Ortiz for all my fills. I trust Kathie but if ANYTHING goes wrong with the fill and it happens at Dr. Ortiz's office, they fix it for free. It's expensive getting this fixed!