Confused & Frustrated

I've been overweight all my life, only to have lost & gained pounds when I literally starve myself.. and then when I get back to eating 'normal' foods, I gain all of it back and then some.. I've also tried numerous over-the-counter pills and lo-carb diet plans, etc which were no help (esp. being a vegetarian).. I have been researching the different surgeries out there and came across this site and have been reading & re-reading the information on the website and the posts. I was excited and went to discuss possibilities of doing the surgery here in the US first and he outright said he doesn't recommend the surgery because he feels I just have not been trying hard enough to exercise and diet on my own.. but BELIEVE me, I have been trying for most of my life. I am 26 yrs old now, and have not been able to do any of the 'fun' things in life, wear the great clothes, etc.. and I really don't want to have to go through another failed starvation & exercise attempt..! Please advise on whether this is the best option for someone in my situation, and also any kind of encouragement on the surgery itself, the benefits of having it done in Mexico by the expert Dr.s, the cost, and how easy it is to get an appointment (i.e.. what are the steps to take once I have made a decision)..? :(

Thanks so much for your input..

Hello, I can feel your frustration, I have been overweight all of my life and lost weight only to regain it again and again, my insurance does not cover the band so I opted for Mexico where they are more experienced in palcing the band then many US doctors, it is cheaper in Mexico if you are a self pay then in the states not to mention you have a very experienced docotr. To get an appointment with Dr. Ortiz is very simple, if you want it doen next week, Im sure he can accomodate you, it just depends on how soon you want to do it, I have heard of people calling and scheduling an appointment for the same week, others making it a month in advance or weeks in advance. I beleive Dr. Ortiz's cost is 9500.00 that includes accomodations at the hotel for you and your spouse or traveling companion, surgery, hospital, anasthesia , basically everything except airfare if you need to fly.

Once you have made the decision, you find a doctor and cal lhim and schedule your surgery, all pre op is done the day before in Mexico, so you will arrive a day before your surgery is scheduled.. Sandy at Dr. Ortiz's office will handle everything for you and answer all your questions, she is fantastic. If you choose another doctor in Mexico, do not go with the cheapest price, just becasue it is cheaper does not make it better, you want a doctor with lots of experience in doing this surgery, the extra money you will spendb is well worth it in the long run to have peace of mind knowing you used the best which in my opinion is Dr. Ortiz & Martinez :)

Best of luck to you on your decision

Hi Orlando

How are you ?

I am 25 years old and been doing diets for about more than 10 years. From pills, to weight watchers, from starving, to eating meet, from low carb to the south beach diet and back and forth. I am originally from Puerto Rico and I know a few Doctors that are currently doing the lap band in Puerto Rico. Even though is cheaper than Mexico and the 50 states, I am strongly thinking in going to Tijuana for the surgery. Like the book always said " Follow the leader on every step ".

Hey, maybe we can both keep chatting and support each other to make it happened. Even if it's with credit cards, I am getting it done.

E-mail me at randyomar@aol.com to talk more about the trip to Tijuana. Maybe we can even meet over there........................................

I do have a question though.... If anyone knows what's the approximate time that you need to go back to the clinic after surgery ?

Regards,

Randy O. Latalladi

Been there, done that, same situation, struggled with weight always, made my appointment, got serious, got the band, got my fill, loving life! (in that order)

I think Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez want to see you for a check up/fill between 6-12 weeks after surgery. If you have any questions you can call their personal cell phones directly during that time too. Also, email is available to everyone in their staff.

I went for my fill and check up at 6 weeks. Dr. Martinez told me to come back at my one year anniversary for a check up even if I didn't need a fill. Just good practice to be checked at least once a year, fill or not needed.

Your very first step in getting band surgery is RESEARCH!!! Research everywhere you can learn about the band.

www.lapbandtalk.com is an excellent site... here are some more:

www.obesitycontrolcenter.com

www.obesityhelp.com

www.lapbandtransformation.com

http://www.geocities.com/laylaburd/AGB/laylaslapband.html

http://www.inamed.com/products/obesity/us/...apband/faq.html

http://www.inamed.com/products/obesity/us/...apband/faq.html

http://www.uclabariatrics.mednet.ucla.edu/...rces_videos.htm

http://www.sbnsurg.com/lap_band_surgery.htm

Hi Orlando78,

I can't say I have been overweight all of my life but I have been for the past 18 years out of 43. I was 182 when I was 9 months pregant with my last child and weighed 219.5 the day before my surgery this past Thursday. Might not have been too bad if I wasn't just 5'4" tall. During those 18 years, I have lost and gained so many times I quit counting. When I first heard about the lapband my first thought was "this is for me!". My second thought was "are you nuts?" I figured I just needed to find the willpower AGAIN. I finally opted for the surgery, primarily because I knew once I had the surgery I would NEVER find myself overweight again - if you follow what the doctors tell you you can't overeat - you'll get sick if you do. I was nervous about having it done in Mexico so I checked the states first - $25,000 not including fills to have it done locally and insurance did not cover it. $9,500 including fills to have Dr. Ortiz do it. hmmm $500 for me to fly in plus the cost of any meals. I called and set my date for 2 weeks later (could have gotten in a little sooner).

Surgery was Thursday and today is Sunday. I feel great. Drs. Ortiz and Martinez are wonderful! You can call them anytime. Personally, I don't know if I would have gone through it without Sandy, General Manager for Dr. Ortiz. She is fabulous and a lapbander herself! Dr. Ortiz will tell you he prefers to be alittle more aggressive than the doctors in the states. Typically you'll have fewer fills by having them done in Mexico.

You should continue to read up on this as much as you can and don't hesitate to contact either Dr. Ortiz or Martinez. Good luck!

I am getting my surgery done on Tuesday of next week. I can hardly wait but I am nervous too.

Questions:

(1) What are the must have items? I read them several times but I was far out from surgery so I just ignored it.

(2) How long until I get energy? This is one of the most frustrating things for me right now is that I am so tired.

(3) I keep reading about people saying to walk after surgery that it helps with the gas. I love to walk. I have two dogs that love to walk. When will I be able to walk them around the block?

Thanks!

lins12

1) What are the must have items? I read them several times but I was far out from surgery so I just ignored it.

Take some Gas X, Liquid tylenol, a good book to read ( lots of waiting time duriong pre op) do not take much in theway of clothing, I also too ka bra with no underwire since one of the incisions is right under the bra line, less chance of irritation with no underwire.

(2) How long until I get energy? This is one of the most frustrating things for me right now is that I am so tired.

You may not notice energy the first few weeks since you are healing from surgery and are on liquids, but once the protein drinks are added in and then when you get to solids and start losing and are cutting out all of the sugary, carb loaded crap food you should notice a difference in your energy level

(3) I keep reading about people saying to walk after surgery that it helps with the gas. I love to walk. I have two dogs that love to walk. When will I be able to walk them around the block?

Everyone is different, but I see no problem walking your dos around the block after surgery as long as the do not walk you and are not pulling you, you want to be careful not to pop a stitch, I walked around TJ the day after my surgery and went shopping.

Best of Luck to you, I hope everything goes smoothly for you. Please come back and post about your experience once you are home and feeling up to it :)

Lins12, after I was banded, I couldn't walk my Golden for a couple of weeks, but I could walk my Westie right away. It depends on if the dog pulls you at all. You don't want any pulling, it will irritate your port area and as Michelle said, you could pop a stitch. My daughter didn't read too much after banding, but she was happy she brought her portable DVD player. Only bring a bag that's very light & preferably can be wheeled.

Hi Orlando 78 - I had a different problem than yours in that I'm over 60 and have no "significant" health problems, which means it's almost imposssible to get insurance approval in the US for this surgery, so I opted to self-pay and go to Drs Ortiz and Martinez. Also, I have a good friend who was banded by them in April, 2004, and was very happy with the results.

I was just banded recently, on 5/3/2005, and have lost 17.5 pounds already - I gave away some of my winter coats as I am that certain this weight, finally, will not be gained back!

Dr Ortiz has an incredibly impressive "resume" - and both of them are absolutely wonderful. They are patient, and caring, and don't rush in and out of your room in 5 minutes the way my US doctor does. I can't recommend them highly enough - and same said for Sandy - she is the best!

So go for it, and good luck to you!

- Katie