HOW CAN I CONVINCE MY HUSBAND

Hi,

I have decided that I want to go to Dr. Ortiz HOWEVER....I am having a hard time with my husband. He supports my decision to have the surgery but has a problem with me going to Mexico for surgery.

I have the book Dr. Ortiz wrote and have done a lot of research for quite some time. I am trying to get him to read it. I will call for a consultation once my loan goes through...hopefully tomorrow!

I was hoping that everyone could give me a little feedback on your experience.

Anything would be appreciated. I would like to show him everyones posts so that he can see that many people choose Mexico and Dr. Ortiz and that it is not a "crazy" thing to do!

Thank you so much!

Hi I recently got banded on 04/08/05, I too was very nervous about going to tj for surgery. I have traveled to Mexico many times. Have been in some of the hospitals there and have heard alot of horror stories. But I was determined to get this done to my surprise the Hospital was nothing like I expected. The Hotel we stayed in was beautiful the staff there wa very nice and very helpful , the day at the hospital I was very scarred I remember my stomach was in knots, The hospital was very nice nicer than some I have seen here in the states my room had a beautiful view was a very nice room the staff was wonderful. And Dr Ortiz (look at his picture need I say more) No just kidding he is gorgeous, but he also was a wonderful Dr. explained everything very well and literally set and held my hand for comfort my mother and my sister went they loved him and his mother is the one who takes you back and forth from the hospital and the motel and the clinic , very pleasant woman, She was the nicest lady I have met in along time. If I had to do it again I would do it ten times over.

Hi there - I was banded on May 3, 2005, and had a problem similar to yours - except it wasn't my husband (I'm not married), it was my 42-year-old daughter who had strong reservations about Mexico. Being as it was my daughter, I simply presented it to her as "this is what I'm going to do"... told her I had done all the research and was convinced that Dr. Ortiz is the best there is. I wrote her a 1-1/2 page memo about it and asked for her support. She ended up coming with me (rather a surprise!), was impressed by the hotel - said it's similar to those in Europe; and was very impressed with Drs Ortiz and Martinez. She learned a lot while sitting in the clinic waiting room while I was having my EKG and blood work and consultation with the nutritionist, and said that while I was in surgery, Dr Martinez answered all her questions.

I told her the best gift she could give me for Mother's Day was her support; and she did. Dr Ortiz is absolutely the best there is; is much better that you go to TJ and get the best, than that you have it done in the US by someone who may not be as experienced.

Have you pulled Dr Ortiz's curriculum vitae from this web site and shown it to your husband? I was very impressed with that.

Good luck!

- Katie

Have your husband call my husband. My husband had the same fears as yours does

and now 13 months later my husband is so grateful I chose Dr. Ortiz. He has shown me so much caring and compassion along my journey. He is one of the best Lap Band surgeons out there. Honest!

Maybe having your husband hearing it from another husband of a successful bandster he will come to terms with it and ease his mind and fears.

Hi,

I didn't have a hard time convincing my husband about Mexico because I explained to him all of the great information I had found about Dr. Ortiz. I also called Inamed directly. I spoke with Don Mills (800)624-4261, and I asked him a lot of questions about the band and about Dr. Ortiz being one of there proctors. He gave me the information that helped me choose Dr. Ortiz, besides reading his bio and other information online. The staff that works for Dr. Ortiz was wonderful and the Hotel was very nice and clean. The employees at the hotel were very hospitable. Not a lot to do their except swim. The hospital is privatly owned, and it's on one floor in an office building next door to the Grand Hotel, which happens to be in the latest AAA magazine. It was very clean and reminded me of an outpatient hospital, but with your own private room. It overlooked a beautiful golf course and large homes. Tijuana was much different then we thought it would be. The drivers suck but other than that the people are very nice and helpful. We went to the shopping center which was nice. We didn't do anything else because we brought our 16 month old son with us, and I didn't feel comfortable crossing the streets with him. He was happy just walking the grounds of the hotel. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Tracy W

• 1 year later...

My husband was exactly the same way. He said I could have surgery, but not in Mexico. It took weeks of convincing him. But he is so happy now that I went to Mexico. He wants nothing but the best for me. And unfortunately, that is not in the US, Dr. Ortiz is the best, and he is in Mexico.

I had to be in the hospital a few months after my lap band surgery for kidney stones. My husband was with me. Every time I was frustrated, or something didn't go right, I told him about my experiences in Mexico. He is now ready to go to Mexico for a lap band!!! Unfortunately, we will be paying for my surgery for a while. But he trusted me, and now was very glad that I did go to Mexico. He even says maybe I should go back if I decide on plastic surgery somewhere down the road...as long as it is with someone Dr. Ortiz recommends.

Good luck, listen to his concerns, but give him your research, and maybe all of our experiences. I have not heard one negative comment about their experiences with lap band surgery with Dr. Ortiz in Mexico...NOT ONE!!!! You wouldn't find that even with the best doctors in the states.

Good luck,

Becki