Travel to TJ - by car or train/trolley/taxi?

Has anyone driven to the border, left the car on the US side, walked across and then taken a taxi to the clinic? I'm going for a fill, and it will take me two hours by train and trolley to get to the border so I'm thinking of driving to the border and walking across. After a fill, will I feel like walking back across the border? Is it very far?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Has anyone driven to the border, left the car on the US side, walked across and then taken a taxi to the clinic? >>>YES I often do it this way. Usually I drive to the last trolley stop and park there and then take the trolley to the border. The taxis are great, it is $5 to get to the dr's office.<<<

I'm going for a fill, and it will take me two hours by train and trolley to get to the border so I'm thinking of driving to the border and walking across. After a fill, will I feel like walking back across the border? >>Sure, no problem. << Is it very far? >> No. <<

• 3 weeks later...

I just did it w/my daughter yesterday, and it was totally fine. The bus from the airport is 5 minutes to the trolley, they it's about a 10 minute walk total across (you have to walk up a few inclines) then you go through a revolving door, and you're in Mexico! Taxis are right there, and if they don't recognize the address just tell them the Office Depot near Hotel Lucerna.

Coming home when the border is especially busy like was on July 4th, there's a great service called Mexi-coach; they are located on Revolution St. bwn. 6th & 75th, and they go in a special bus-lane. It took us under an hour to cross the border--the regular line was at least 4 hours long. You just walk through a customs room & poof, your out in the good old US of A. The trolley is RIGHT there, and we just did eveything in reverse. Total cost one way:

$2.50 incuding transfer for bus & trolley

$2.50 for Mexi-Coach

$5.00 Taxi to office.

Next time we go back, I'll do the exact same thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I read you rmessage about takin gthe bus, trolley and taxi and was wondering how long that took you? I am going for a fill in August and was planning on flying into San Diego in the morning, going to the office, having the fill and returning the same day to the airport. Is this reasonable?

How long does the fill take?

I had my surgery in late May and due to work have not been able to get to Tj for a fill. It is frustrating as I have not really lost any weight except for the 8 or so pounds in the very beginning and can eat as much now as I did before the surgery. Needless to say, I am looking forward to the fill.

Thanks

Hi Calgirl!

I've done the bus/trolley thing and return home the same day several times. It works out fine for me if I schedule it well. I come in on the first flight from San Francisco which arrives around 8:15. This gives me some leeway if I schedule my appt. for around 10:30. I had trouble with the trolley once where it had to stop for about 30 minutes then back up several stations to have us get on another track but with the extra time I had allotted I was only a few minutes late. They are usually running late anyway or as they say, "on Mexican time". I also try to make sure I have an afternoon flight back that is scheduled for at least after 3:00 in case the border crossing is really bad. Hope everthing goes well!

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to try this, but I'm so afraid of getting lost. I went to the buses website and looked up a travel plan, but I don't know, is it the San Ysidro Terminal I'm trying to get to?

FROM AIRPORT - TERMINAL #1

TO SAN YSIDRO TROLLEY STATION

1. At 08:09 AM take the 992 AIRPORT/DOWNTOWN

2. Get off the stop on BROADWAY at KETTNER at approximately 08:23 AM.

3. At 08:41 AM take the BLUE SAN YSIDRO

4. Get off the stop at SAN YSIDRO TROLLEY STATION at approximately 09:26 AM.

Is the Mexi-bus at the san ysidro trolley station?

Kimberly

1st fill August 27th

220/192/150

Kimberly,

There's a sign outside of terminal 1 at the curb for bus #992 along with a bus schedule. The bus never seems to be exactly on time when I've gone down but they come through about every 10-15 minutes. Have exact change (Ithink it's $2.25). Ask the bus driver for a transfer ticket which is good for the trolley to San Ysidro and let him know you want to get off at American Plaza. That's the main trolley/train station. Look for the signs that say blue line/San Ysidro. Trolleys come by every few minutes. I've never taken the Mexibus after the trolley. I get off the trolley and go across the walking bridge, walk through the revolving gates and there are dozens of taxi drivers about 50 ft. in front of you. I ask them how much(quanto) to either the Lucerna or the Nextel building. It should not be more than $5.00. For your return it's a little bit different because the taxi has to let you off at the border crossing for pedestrians. It looks bad because the line of people seems soooo long but it usually starts moving pretty fast once your half way through it. Once your through you just do the same thing (trolley/bus) in reverse!

It's a little intimidating the first time but it sure saves you a lot of money! I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Kimberly, :(

I forgot to tell you. On the way back you must buy your trolley ticket out of vending machines after you come out of the border crossing. Buy the one for $2.50. It's also good for the bus. The machines are located right in front of the trolley tracks. Once again...good luck! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I go for a fill on Monday and all of a sudden I realized I am not sure where I am supposed to go. Do I go to Dr. Ortiz's office or the hospital where I was banded?

I have not received any kind of confirmation. I am assuming I am on the schedule. Is this the way it was for any of you?

Thanks

Hey Calgirl!

I'm having a fill Monday also, at 10. Rene called me on Saturday sometime after 4? I also received an E-mail confirmation later in the evening. I usually don't see the E-mail till I'm already back. Are you staying the night? We're staying Monday night and leaving Tuesday. Dr. Martinez wanted me to stay a couple of days to make sure my fill is not too tight but I could only stay 1 this time. I've been too tight before. Hope to see you tomorrow!

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. I am a little nervous as I have not received any confirmation or call. Oh well...I will go and hope for the best.

Calbris2, I am not staying overnight as I have to fly out to Tennessee on Tuesday for work. What happens if the fill is too tight? Will I need to go back to have it undone? It will be great if we get to meet. My fill is at noon and since I am not staying over night it may not work out, but you never know.

I am hoping that this fill will help. I was banded in late May and lost about 10 lbs initially and have not lost anything since. I also can eat as much as I did before the band. It's a bit frustrating and I am hoping that by getting a fill, it will get me back on track.

Thanks again

Calbris2 - I want to thank you for your wonderful instructions on how to take the Trolley to TJ. I was very nervous about it, but printed off your messages and it really was a breeze. The only problem I had was that when I got to the office there were 2 other women who had already been waiting over an hour for their fills. It would be another hour before the first one could get her fill and by this time it was clear that I was not going to make my late afternoon flight.

Renee helped me change my flights so it all worked out but it sure made for a long day.

I would sugges to Dr Ortiz (and I will write him), that the Fill Program could use a little beefing up with customer assistance. Not getting a confirmation or knowing where to go once I got to TJ caused a little tension. They could also do more with giving insturctions or options on how to get from SD to TJ on their web site. In fact, if they just took what you wrote it would work great! A section on their web site giving more info would really be good.

It was so different from the time of surgery.

Anyway, I got their in one piece and just one minute before my scheduled appt. time.

And whoever talked about the long line at the border coming back was sure right. It looks very intimidating and liek it will take hours, but it went very fast! And there are lots of security folks around to help with any kind of question. The fill is great. I will not wait so long next time.

Calgirl,

You must have got there right after I left. I asked a couple of the ladies if they were Calgirl. I'm glad the directions were helpful. I'm hoping my fill is going to be OK. It feels like it might be too tight but I'm going to baby it and be very careful and hope it loosens just a smidge. I've been on a plateau for 2 months so I want to try to ride it out. Since I stayed the night, Dr. Martinez had me eat a little dinner that night. He told me to have a little fish and a little rice and let him know in the morning if everything was OK. It was. Then I had to go back to liquids for 2 days. I think I'm still a little swollen or I'm just not used to so little filling me up. I've PB a few times since being back on solids so I'll go back to liquids for a day and try again! Wish me luck! :D

:( Hey CalBris2,

I was one of the people you asked if they were Calgirl. It was the day before I got banded, and you and I chatted a bit. I have short dark hair, and I was wearing a black top and khaki linen capris. Do you remember me?

Anyway, I was banded on Tuesday, August 16, and I've GAINED a pound and a half. Have you ever heard of that happening??? I'm only eating clear liquids, and not even very much of those. Yesterday I had two half cups of broth, one half cup of jello, and water. THAT'S IT! And I GAINED??? Do you have any advice for me???

Val

230/232/135

Banded by Dr. Ortiz 8/16/05

Val,

Were you the lady from Utah? I remember someone wearing some cute capris that was there with her husband and daughter and she was having her surgery the next day. Was that you? Or do I have my capris confused? LOL! Anyways...I hope you're doing OK. They sure were busy on Monday. How many of you had surgery on Tuesday? Try not to worry about the slight gain. I'm sure you're just retaining fluids for a spell from the surgery. You'll be dropping quite a few pounds very soon but don't freak when you start solids and put some back on. It happens to everyone. I think I lost over 15 pounds the first 2 or 3 weeks on clear liquids. I had an extra week of clear because of a hiatal hernia. When I started full liquids and solids, 7 came back! Hope to hear from you soon. Take care!

PS...Did anyone tell you that you can also have sugarfree popscicles? They may not even have to be sugarfree. I can't remember!

Hi Maplewillow,

No, you don't need a passport or birth certificate. All you need is a driver's license--and you don't even need that until you try to get back into the states. No one looks twice as you drive into Mexico, but they screen you like crazy when you try to come home. I took my daughter with me, and she's only 12, so no D.L. So, for her, we had to have the birth cert. We were detained at the border because supposedly a dog smelled something in the car, but it was a false alarm, and we were on our way in 45 minutes. It wasn't a problem.

Calbris2--Yes, I'm the lady from Utah with the husband and daughter. No, you don't have your capris confused. They are cute, aren't they? I think I got them at T.J. Maxx. Gotta love that store.

Two other people were banded that Tuesday after I met you. I'm corresponding with the one, and she's doing great. She and her husband were with my family when we got detained at the border. Kinda funny--what an adventure!

Sounds like your fill is pretty tight. Are you feeling better?

Thanks for the advice on the slight gain. I'm not weighing again until next Sunday. I gotta have good news. I think part of the problem is that I was on liquid protein for the week prior to the surgery (new procedure--I think I may have mentioned to you in the waiting room), so I was down 10.5 pounds BEFORE I was banded. Now I think my body is freaking and trying to hold on to every calorie. Anyway, I'm not stressing about it anymore. Funny how staying off the scale does wonders for your mood. :D

Later--