Success after no post-surgery loss?

Yikes, I'm starting to worry about whether this was a good investment or not and need some input from others. I lost 14 pounds on the pre-op diet, was banded by Dr. Ortiz on 1/26, lost four pounds the first week while on clear liquids and have gained back the four pounds.

My concern is that I'm going to be one of those people for whom the band doesn't work. I have absolutely no restriction and eat just as much as I did before surgery. I'm going to TJ for my first fill on Thursday, 3/8, but I'm afraid that since I haven't done well so far, it's not going to make a difference. I keep reading everybody's success stories and it seems like those that lost a lot before their first fill are the ones that continued to lose after their fill(s).

My question to the forum is, "Did anybody who didn't lose weight between the time of their surgery and their first fill lose a significant amount of weight after getting their first fill (or second) " Or am I doomed?

You aren't doomed so don't even think that way! :( Just hang in there until you get your first fill. Try to eat healthy and try to limit your portion size. I am also waiting to get my first fill on April 14th and I don't feel very much restriction. I am writing down what I eat and am sticking to 3 meals per day (most days). I haven't lost anymore weight but we can't give up yet. This is a long term investment so just hang in there!!!

HAH! I was one of those who did lose some weight between being banded and my first fill, but I fought for every pound!!! I carefully watched what I ate, and exercised a lot. I did not lose that weight because of the band. I could eat anything, and was hungry all the time. I noticed very slight restriction, but sure not enough to stop me from gaining weight. I just didn't want to waste time once I had the band. I figured I could diet and do it the old fashioned way while I was waiting to find my correct fill level. I had overdone it before I started the pre-op diet, and gained some, and knew how much harder it was to take off, so I figured I might as well work at it.

Don't worry, the band will work, it just takes time. And some saline in your band.

Becki

I am scheduled for my first fill on April 14th so I am in the fight to continue to loose while waiting for a fill. I can eat almost anything but I do notice some restriction with certain foods. At this point, it is mind of matter. I paid $8500 for my band and I don't regret it one bit but I am going to fight to continue to loose weight while waiting for my first fill. I am going on vacation to Florida on March 17th for 8 days so this will be a tough time for me. I believe in myself and I know that I can eat less and be full. When we go out to eat, my sister said that she would be willing to split a plate with me everytime so we would both eat less. :P

I can't wait and I refuse to let food get me down on this trip!!!! Focus on fun and not food!!!

Hang in there!!!

It can take up to three fills to get a decent restriction and, as some on this board can tell you, sometimes you go too far and then have to take it out again! It's kind of a guessing game to find the body's best fill level.

Don't expect restriction before your first fill and also expect to LOSE restriction between your first and second fills. The band usually has some air left in it that comes out as you fill it with saline. This is normal and expected.

A lot of people have success on the 2nd fill and use the third to fine tune things, but as my (eventually to be) surgeon said to us - it's about a 1/3 ratio. 1/3 need 1 fill, 1/3 need 2 fills and 1/3 need 3 or more fills to hit that sweet spot.

Just don't get discouraged that you haven't seen it yet! Right now your body is all about healing from surgery and making sure you get plenty of protein so that you can heal that much faster.

I'm hoping to get banded in August and I don't really expect to see any serious weight loss until after the new year. That way I won't get all stressed at myself if it takes a while.

• 2 weeks later...
It can take up to three fills to get a decent restriction and, as some on this board can tell you, sometimes you go too far and then have to take it out again! It's kind of a guessing game to find the body's best fill level.

Don't expect restriction before your first fill and also expect to LOSE restriction between your first and second fills. The band usually has some air left in it that comes out as you fill it with saline. This is normal and expected.

A lot of people have success on the 2nd fill and use the third to fine tune things, but as my (eventually to be) surgeon said to us - it's about a 1/3 ratio. 1/3 need 1 fill, 1/3 need 2 fills and 1/3 need 3 or more fills to hit that sweet spot.

Just don't get discouraged that you haven't seen it yet! Right now your body is all about healing from surgery and making sure you get plenty of protein so that you can heal that much faster.

I'm hoping to get banded in August and I don't really expect to see any serious weight loss until after the new year. That way I won't get all stressed at myself if it takes a while.

why is the weight loss so slow????I am 1 week post op and my scale barely moves but I don't even eat anything. Why is this an issue. I don't get it.

After going through all this the scale will not move????????????????

why is the weight loss so slow????I am 1 week post op and my scale barely moves but I don't even eat anything. Why is this an issue. I don't get it.

After going through all this the scale will not move????????????????

YOU HAVE TO EAT IN ORDER TO LOSE IF THAT MAKES SENSE.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Many-Calorie...ht?&id=6723

THE FIRST 6 WEEKS YOU SHOULD BE CONCERNED WITH HEALING, NOT LOSING :)

• 2 weeks later...
:huh: I too have experienced weight-loss pre-surgery and in the first week post-surgery. I am a little freaked out because I ate some bread 10 days post surgery and felt some pain that evening. The pain subsided by morning but I am worried I may have caused my band to slip. I felt some slight restriction a day or two after but now feel no restriction at all. Has anyone experienced a slipped band? Is there any pain associated with it? I have an appointment with my Doctor in two days.