Just booked my surgery for August 4th!

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting on the board, but I have been reading for quite some time. Thanks to all your honest answers, and the success of a very close friend, I have decided to have the procedure done with Dr.Ortiz on August 4th.

I am very excited, but I am having some trouble telling friends and family that I am having this done. I feel embarassed and wonder how everyone else broke the news to other people. So far only my mom, friend, and husband know, and I am wondering how I am going to explain to people that I am going to California for a week. I am afraid that other people will think that I am taking the easy way out buy having this surgery. (I am only 25, and have only been 135 lbs overweight for the past 6 years.) Any help you can give me would be appreciated!

I was also wondering if I am being overly optimistic by planning a 4 day vacation in San Diego 2 days following my surgery. I know that most of you have said that you felt fine, but will I be up to sightseeing and walking around? (Sea World, Zoo etc?)

:D

Thanks!

Apryl

Congratulations on setting your date. I was just banded on July 5 and was walking around the markets with my husband the next day. That said, I was tired after about an hour and then took a 2 hour nap at the hotel. I have been trying to walk 2 times a day which really does help move the gas and make you feel great. There were 2 fellow bandsters from July 5 who took a cab to San Diego the next day for touring and they did OK but came back tired. As long as you have a lounge chair poolside to relax I think you will be OK - just don't overdo it!

I had my surgery June 16th and I think I could have enjoyed a bit of sightseeing on the 3rd day, but it would have to have been gentle, no carrying children, easy paced with rests. I felt an improvement each day for several days. I followed the liquid regimen as prescribed for the first 3 weeks and was very ready for regular meals at 21 days! I've just come home from 4 days of motorcycle touring with my husband and several other couples. An annual event for us and great fun, but 4 days with every meal a party in a restaurant was a challange. I was very pleased with how easy it was to follow the bandster rules until the last meal together which was an expensive smorg (suggest avoid those). Next year I'll stick to my guns and skip the smorg.

Just my opinion, but your and my weight loss effort is not a game or contest to be played by someone else's set of rules. It is our life and health and we are doing what we believe is necessary. The LapBand is not just an easy way out. It is a tool that will help if we cooperate with it. I wish you the best!!

Also you decide who needs to know and when. On my motorbike tour some friends knew and I told them that I didn't want it to be the topic of discussion because we are all out to have a great time. And we did and I did!

... done with Dr.Ortiz on August 4th.

Hi!

I am also having surgery on Aug 4th with Dr Ortiz. Mine is a revision for a slipped band I had placed in 2001 in Sweden. I've had great success though - starting weight 250, current weight 130 - because of the slippage I've gained a few pounds back. I don't EVER want to have to worry about my weight so I'm getting the revision done ASAP.

After my initial surgery I did all sorts of sight seeing with no problem at all. The key is just walk slowly and don't push it at all. Listen to your body and when it says "SIT DOWN!" do it! :)

Good luck!

congrats apryl,

I have been searching for a resonably priced lap band procedure. I found one dr in costa rica who does the surgery for $8,000 all-inclusive. Can you tell me where your having your surgery, Cancun or TJ, and how much it costs?

thank you,

debbie

Apryl,

As far as feeling embarassed about the procedure....I have felt a little like that as well. I travel for work every week and my coworkers are going to wonder why I can't eat with them for three weeks and they will ask questions and then wonder why I can only eat from the children's menu (can't wait for that!!!). But you know what .....this is all about all of us! We are all doing this to be healthier and happier! So it doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks. I am going to be lean, mean, and sexy!! You Go Girl!!

KeeKee, I didn't tell anyone except my dh, children & one good friend.

As for siteseeing, my daughter dragged me all over San Diego 2 days after she was banded! She could walk faster than I could. But it does sound better to do the vacation part before cause you never know how you will feel.

good luck, you're in the best hands.