tipping the drivers

Tipping for a complimentary shuttle service is around $1-$2 per bag or whatever you are comfortable with, though it does vary by country. I usually just do a flat $5 since it is easy to plan for. You can do a Google search on tipping etiquette and find all sorts of websites devoted to tipping in various situations.

How much should I tip the OCC driver or should I? I don't know too much about these kinds of things as I don't really travel anywhere.

I did not tip, and Fernando did not seem concerned about getting a tip, and has been friendly when I have seen him on subsequent trips. I am sure he would appreciate a small tip, however.

In Mexico, tipping is not standard. Americans, Canadians, and Australians tend to tip. The Brits usually tip a very small amount. Italians, French, Spaniards and Germans do not tip at all. And most importantly, Mexicans themselves do not tip. I have gone the middle ground, tipping 8-10% for meals, and giving 50 cents per bag to hotel bellmen. Taxi drivers do not get tipped, and should not, unless they provide some kind of extremely exceptional service.

Keep in mind, the typical Mexican worker is paid about $1.00-$1.50 per hour. Americans throwing money around as tips helps contribute to our image in other countries as rude and show-offs. In many countries, it is actually considered offensive to tip. German waitresses can actually be offended by being tipped. Being respectful and treating others well goes much further to make a person feel appreciated.

Just my opinion.

I answered Stacy in a PM with the tip amount, but I did tip the driver. I was the only rider both ways and if nothing else, he deserved it for having to answer all my questions :)

I also tipped the waiters in the restaurant and the bellman and while they may think of me as a rude show off, they seemed very appreciative and could not help me enough. Being a former waitress I know how much a good tip for a good job is appreciated. I'm betting since TJ is so close to the border most of their "customers" are American and therefore they are used to receiving tips. If not, then they got it anyway, lol.

And Momma Ortiz should charge for her rides - I'd pay a fortune to ride around with her :)

I answered Stacy in a PM with the tip amount, but I did tip the driver. I was the only rider both ways and if nothing else, he deserved it for having to answer all my questions :)

I also tipped the waiters in the restaurant and the bellman and while they may think of me as a rude show off, they seemed very appreciative and could not help me enough. Being a former waitress I know how much a good tip for a good job is appreciated. I'm betting since TJ is so close to the border most of their "customers" are American and therefore they are used to receiving tips. If not, then they got it anyway, lol.

And Momma Ortiz should charge for her rides - I'd pay a fortune to ride around with her :)

My perspective comes from personal travels, and also by being a manager of about 120 Hispanics around the country. The amount I tip (15-20% in the US) makes my employees make jokes about me. I usually ask them what a tip (propina en espanol) should be, and they tell me about 3-5 dollars---and that is when 6-8 of us go to a dinner and have a bill of 80 bucks or so. They seem confused as to why I lay out $14 as a tip. I tip bartenders and food servers well, but not in countries where it is not expected.

It is all about culture I guess. And you are correct, in TJ they are used to 'gringos' tipping extremely well. I prefer to try to follow local traditions.

How much should I tip the OCC driver or should I? I don't know too much about these kinds of things as I don't really travel anywhere.

Tipped a $5 per person each way. The last visit there were 4 so $20 each way. Well deserved.

THE OCC DRIVER, I TIPPED $20.00 EACH WAY AND SO DID MY FRIEND THAT WAS WITH ME. WAGES ARE LOW AND THESE PEOPLE WORK THEIR BUTTS OFF. FOR WHO? ME!!! :)

I SAVED A TON OF MONEY GOING TO MX VS HAVING SURGERY IN THE US AND GOT THE BEST DR. ALSO. I COULD AFFORD TO LEAVE THEM MORE THEN A BUCK I FIGURE.