how to lose the pre op weight

I'm going in for my consultation on the 16th of May for the procedure and i keep reading that drs want you to be at a 50 or less for your bmi. im currently a 66 for my bmi, i have muscular dystrophy and it makes it very hard to get around, and this added weight doesnt help. I would need to lose 75 lbs to get at a bmi of 50. If i could lose that much weight on my own id just diet the rest of it off but nothing seems to work for me. Any suggestions on how to do it without starving my muscles of the nutrients that they need to function the lil bit that they do? Thanks Kim

I'm going in for my consultation on the 16th of May for the procedure and i keep reading that drs want you to be at a 50 or less for your bmi. im currently a 66 for my bmi, i have muscular dystrophy and it makes it very hard to get around, and this added weight doesnt help. I would need to lose 75 lbs to get at a bmi of 50. If i could lose that much weight on my own id just diet the rest of it off but nothing seems to work for me. Any suggestions on how to do it without starving my muscles of the nutrients that they need to function the lil bit that they do? Thanks Kim

Hi Kim,

If they want you to lose that much weight to lower your bmi for surgery, then they should have had you see or talk to a nutritionist and for them to tell you how to lose the weight. The nutritionist at Dr. Ortiz office told me to lose as close to 36 lbs. as possible in the 5 weeks before my surgery, and she told me to start drinking a protein shake for breakfast(Glucerna), and dinner and a Lean Cuisine meal with meat for lunch. Also, I could have up to four pounds of veggies a day. I went to Costco and found Muscle Milk which is the same thing, but has lower sugar and higher protein in it. It is going to be hard, but I am sure I can do it. I hope. lol

Good luck,

Judy

thanks Judy for the help ill def. try that and see if that helps at all.

thanks Judy for the help ill def. try that and see if that helps at all.

You are so very welcome! Good luck. I just got my Lean Cuisine meals with a coupon 6/$10 and they a really big variety. I didn't realize they were high in protein as well. :) I also got some Wishbone Italian Spritzer to spray on my veggies since I can't have dressing on a salad. I have cucumbers(peeled) and some baby carrots to snack on while at work since I work on a computer all day.

You can do it. I am determined to do it too. ;)

Peace,

Judy

i also am determined to do this ...my family is very important to me and i just wanna live a long and healthy life with them...as of right now due to my muscular dystrophy im at high risk for heart attack and lung failure of which also run in my family. makes it alot easier knowing all that to be more determined. ive just been trying and trying and trying and im tired of nothing working for me so this is my route im taking in hopes that it will give me that extra boost i need to get it off and keep it off.