Insurance

Glenda

HI, My name is Glenda and I am the mom of a 15 year old daughter named shelby. We are both currently scheduled to have the lap- band surgery. The only problem is that our insurance company Blue Cross Blue Shield has denied paying for shelby to have the surgery because of her age. Her father and I are planning to pay the $16,000 plus for her to have the surgery anyway, but was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get the insurance company to accept our claim. We are currently in our first appeal with them. If any one can offer any advice I would appreciate it, because the price of the surgery and the year follow up would be a huge burden on our finances. But we feel that it is necessary for Shelby to have a better life.

Thanks, Glenda

HI, My name is Glenda and I am the mom of a 15 year old daughter named shelby. We are both currently scheduled to have the lap- band surgery. The only problem is that our insurance company Blue Cross Blue Shield has denied paying for shelby to have the surgery because of her age. Her father and I are planning to pay the $16,000 plus for her to have the surgery anyway, but was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get the insurance company to accept our claim. We are currently in our first appeal with them. If any one can offer any advice I would appreciate it, because the price of the surgery and the year follow up would be a huge burden on our finances. But we feel that it is necessary for Shelby to have a better life.

Thanks, Glenda

Hi Glenda,

Its unlikely your insurance will cover a minor - but call me for more information about saving money by having her surgery at our clinic with Dr. Ortiz - he has lots of experience banding teens. It will cost you just over 1/2 of the price you quoted.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Glenda,

Its unlikely your insurance will cover a minor - but call me for more information about saving money by having her surgery at our clinic with Dr. Ortiz - he has lots of experience banding teens. It will cost you just over 1/2 of the price you quoted.

You can try to have your daughter become part of a study for Lap band for teens like i did. The surgery is free as long as you agree to follow up with the surgeon doing the study. I guess different places do it differently, but the study i agreed to paid for everything including post-surgery tests and adjustments afterwards.

You can try to have your daughter become part of a study for Lap band for teens like i did. The surgery is free as long as you agree to follow up with the surgeon doing the study. I guess different places do it differently, but the study i agreed to paid for everything including post-surgery tests and adjustments afterwards.

Do they have any experimaental stuff for adults . My sister wants it but can not afford it #-o

• 4 weeks later...

be careful about studies, sometimes that is a fancy word for doctors that are training in the band - ask how many bands the surgeon has placed and how many teens the surgeon has performed Lap Band surgery on! Experience is very important for proper band placement!

• 3 weeks later...

I also have Blue Cross Blue Shield and they do not cover for anyone under 18. This is not approved in the US for teens yet but there are clinical trials going on right now. I have contacted a few of the places and allergen to see how I go about trying to have my daughter banded in a trial. She is almost 16 and we are in the same boat.

There is no way that I can pay out of pocket so my family doctor and I have discussed things and we are now doing a supervised diet with her so that if she is not able to be banded in the trial when she is 18 we will have what we need to submit to insurance if she was not able to lose the weight with the supervised diet.

I do believe that it will be covered in the states very soon as does my doc and surgeon. Until then we will keep trying for the trial and doing the supervised diet.

Good luck to you and congratulations on your decision to band!!!