Sept 24

Hi all. I am going for a little tune up on the band and get a lil' boost on my fill on Saturday, Sept 24. Anyone else going? This time I am dragging my hubby along and making him stay at a hotel on the beach in San Diego.

Anyone have any San Diego hotel suggestions? I am WAY frugal!

Let me know if anyone else is going Sat, Sept 24!! We can't exactly meet up for dinner because of the fills but we could do soup!!!

How frugal? I can recommend a few places to stay but it depends on your budget. Downtown SD is more expensive than North County (ie Oceanside, Carlsbad) but if you're getting your fill in TJ then you'll probably want to be close to downtown. The Manchester Hyatt in downtown is awesome, but it ranges from 200-379/nt ( a little on the steep side), Sheraton above Copley hall is nice too (usually $200 or under) There are usually pretty good deals in Old Town which is right on the I-5 and still in a nicer area (touristy) the Comfort Inn there is nice and usually under $100 a night. And of course, if you're very frugal there are numerous places in Chula Vista to stay in the $60 range, but you get what you pay for! :) North San Diego County has some pretty nice places in the $100 range but then if you're travelling to TJ it's about 45 min drive. Hope this helps! BTW- Expedia or www.hotels.com usually has the best deals.

Frugal means great deal to me. Not really "cheap". No low budget chain hotels for me. Super 8/motel 6 / la quinta = bed bugs or worse

I need a Hampton Inn at least. Even the Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn's are suspect to me. Especially in larger cities.

Thanks everyone! I think I have chosen the Catamaran Resort on Mission Beach. They have a special going for that weekend! http://www.catamaranresort.com/ anyone hear of it or have stayed there?

i stayed at the holiday inn express in old town and it was gorgous its brand new and the rooms are very clean it was about 100 dollars a night and the service was great and i too am very very very picky about my hotels

DARN IT!!! I spent time surfing around and didn't grab the Catamaran Resort and now the price went up $50 !! Grrrrrrrr, so now I am back to the drawing board. ((sigh))

Any feedback on:

Ramada Gaslamp Convention Center-The Historic St James Hotel ($119)

Radisson San Diego Harbor View ($139)

Four Points by Sheraton San Diego Mission Valley($140)

Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown ($109)

Wyndham San Diego at Emerald Plaza ($122) *this is the one I am leaning towards

Gaslamp Plaza Suites ($157)

Holiday Inn Downtown San Diego First Avenue ($116)

Four Points By Sheraton Fashion Valley Mall ($105)

Handerley Hotel Mission Valley ($99)

Doubletree Club Mission Valley ($113)

Town and Country Resort Hotel Circle North ($121)

Or should I just pay the $189 for the Catamaran???? :( It used to be $139!! Maybe if I call them???

Any thoughts?

I'd probably do the Wyndham. I used to work in downtown San Diego, it is a nice hotel. Don't do the St. James (unless they've remodeled in the last few years.) If the Padres are in town when you come try to catch a game. The new ballpark is downtown and very nice. And you can't go wrong with Mission Valley, everything is around there. I guess it just depends on what you want to do. How long are you going to be here? Are you renting a car?

Thanks. I booked the Wyndham Emerald today. All is done. We arrive on Sat morning, I get filled at noon, and we leave Sunday at 6pm.

We have all night Saturday night and all day Sunday for activities. I was thinking maybe a nice dinner on Sat night and the harbor cruise and shopping on Sunday. But the Padres game sounds fun. I will look into that one.

We are relying on bus/cabs/trollies/etc. We like the excitement it adds in figuring it out plus it is always fun it seems.

I REALLY appreciate your help!!!

Sounds fun! I'll be at Hotel Lucerna on Saturday when you get your fill, since I'm having surgery on Thursday. I was told that the Doctor came and saw us off at the hotel with one more check on us before we leave. (I'm having the surgery with a friend.) Is this true? What time does he come by? What time can we leave to go home? Is it true that I will be able to go back to work on Monday? Sorry for all the questions. Now that it is getting close I'm getting a little antsy. I can't even sleep. I'm not sure if I am nervous or excited. I get up at least once in the middle of the night and look on this forum to see if anyone else has posted anything. So thank you all for keeping up the encouraging comments, it helps tremendously! :blink:

Yes, Dr. Ortiz came to the hotel the morning we left. Wasn't really much of a medical check up as more of a saying farewell and if there were any last minute questions in the lobby area. Very professional and I thought it was great. His mother is in and out too. Very helpful. Depends on what time everyone is going to the airport. They like to pile everyone in on one trip. So it depends on everyone needing to go to the airport. (example: my flight was at 2pm but another person had their flight at 11 am so we left the hotel at 8am).

Don't you live in San Diego though??? Maybe you could just tip the driver extra to take you straight home after dropping everyone off at the airport? If you are flying.... If I may, I suggest getting a porter and a wheelchair at the airport. Saturdays are busy at the airport and it makes it easier going through security and going to the terminal and getting on the plane. (I tipped my porter $7 when it was done). WELL worth it.

Depends on you going back to work. And depends on your type of job I think. I had surgery on Wed and was back to work at a desk job on Monday with little problems. I was still sore and moved a bit slower and was tired at the end of the day but I was not in pain.

Dr. Ortiz is a fantastic surgeon and you are in good hands with him. I know it is hard to relax, I went through it too! But try. Try going to the spa, getting a massage. That is what worked for me! I think I had 3 or 4 the week before the surgery and I normally do 1 every 3-4 months ha ha ha.

Thank you so much! I have a desk job too. So I guess I will be able to come in to work. I'm not telling anyone at work about it and I didn't want to be too obvious by taking three days vacation and then calling in sick on Monday.

And yes I do live just outside of San Diego, but very far north (about 70 miles from TJ). But I already arranged with Rene to be picked up and dropped off at my sister's house in Chula Vista which is on the way to and from the airport. (And I'm planning on giving the driver a very large tip, because this is so helpful to us.) My husband and I are going to leave our car there so we don't have to park at the border or drive across. Thanks again for the advice. I'll probably be online in the middle of the night again if you have anymore. :lol:

I will tell you that it is almost impossible to hide it. People just know or they suspect. I tried to "live in the closet" but after a week I just felt like I was lying all the time, deceiving, or just plain sneaky. So I just told them. No one really cared ha ha. Plus, one of the girls I work with is thanking me up one side and down the other because now she can have the courage to do it. If I had never said anything and she thought I did it "on my own" then she would have been discouraged. Now she knows it works. She has seen me do it. So I am just open and honest about it. It just comes up a lot. Whether it was out at lunch or going to a pampered chef party. It wasn't easy to try and hide it.

It was MUCH easier and less stress to just tell them. And if someone is remotely negative, I just walk away. Whatever to them!

• 4 weeks later...