Advance Planning for surgery

Hi everyone, I'm still in the decision stage but am moving forward. Can someone tell me how long of a waiting list there is for the surgery?

Also, other than the tests that were performed prior to the surgery, was there anything else you needed to do before you could hve the surgery such as provide medical history or other documentation?

I think Dr. Ortiz is about 3 weeks out in scheduling. I have also heard of people having only 1 week. It all depends on if anyone cancelled, how many he has that day, etc etc. My suggestion would be to call Sandy in scheduling.

Yes, they send you a heap of papers to fill out about history, personal info, etc. You fax/mail that back to him. You also get a phone consultation with the doctor if you choose to. He will ask you questions, and you will ask him questions. My phone consult was 40 minutes long and I never felt rushed or like I was annoying him. He was VERY awesome on the phone. I will be honest, the phone consult is what sold me on him.

You might also need to consider allowing time for a pre-op diet *IF* you are a high BMI patient.

Dr. Ortiz does ask his High BMI patients to try and lose 5% of their body weight before surgery. This is because losing this weight reduces the visceral fat around your liver which lies right on top of your stomach where the surgeons have to work in placing your band. Reducing the fat around your liver means you are doing your part to help ensure a smooth surgery and a quick recovery (I'd guess because a less fatty liver gets moved around less/less traumatized during surgery).

I was a high BMI patient (385 lbs w/ a BMI of 58) and needed to lose 19 lbs pre-op. I ended up losing 22 in the 6 week between scheduling my surgery & the actual date. While I don't *know* that my weight loss helped make the surgery easier on me, but I can tell you that I was up, walking around, and chatting with my bandmates 1 1/2 hours after surgery and felt fine to go home the very next morning (I only live about an hour from TJ and didn't need to hassle with airport lines or squishy airline seats so I chose to go home instead of spending another night in the hotel).

I was banded on 5/25/05 and, as of last Monday, I am down a total of 59 pounds -- I LOVE my band! Losing weight with the band has been by far the less stressful (& and least torturous!) weight loss I've ever experienced (and I'v lost A LOT of weight in my life!) -- plus, for the first time, I feel confident because the band provides me with a tool that will also help me KEEP the weight off for the rest of my life (maintenance has always been my downfall in the past).

Lyndy

Lyndy,

Congratulations with your success so far! I am so happy when I hear others are doing well. I have my surgery scheduled for September 13th and I am a little nervous and a lot excited. I want this to be a tool that can help me the rest of my life. Keep posting your story! It encourages me and others reading the posts.

:D Leah

Leah,

Congrats on your big step! I had my band done 8/24/05. That part was a breeze....the hard part is in front of me. Living on liquids is very hard for me. I'm looking forward to 8/31 when I can have yogurt and maybe some cottage cheese. The whole TJ experience was very positive, I hope your experience will be the same. You will meet some very nice, friendly and most importantly, caring people. Good luck to you!

I'm scheduled for surgery 9-30-05. I hear many of you say how relieved you were once you could eat a little yogurt or cottage cheese...I'm big time lactose intollerant and the pills for it don't work unless I take 6 oor 8 of them, and even that's iffy at best. Anyone have any suggestions? I've never found any lactose free cottage cheese or yogurt. Thanks, Deena

Thank you to all of you for sharing your input. I'm not sure if this is the right decision for me but my husband and I are :) going to team up and do some exercising and dieting before I make a final decision.

All of the posts are very informative and have encouraged me to think about many issues I never considered before reading the posts.

I'm pretty sure at this point that I will be having the surgery but I believe my husband will be more supportive if I give the workout and diet a try first. I figure it will put me on the right path anyway since I need to get in the routine of walking every day and doing strength training several times a week anyway.

I want to be on the right path first and then use the band as a way to speed the process.

• 2 weeks later...

Debbie, You do have to come to a point of knowing it is the right thing at the right time, but once you do you also have to make up your mind that it is your life and your body no matter what anyone else says. My husband hasn't been supportive, but now that he sees I'm doing it anyway, he is showing more interest. Unless people do the research they really don't have an educated opinion. (in my opinion)