Lingering Doubts

I am wondering what happens if I need to go to the emergency room for anything following the surgery, or if there are harmful side effects that have to be taken care of...I assume medical insurance will call this a "non covered pre-existing condition" since the band was done in another country and not covered by the policy; this could get rather costly if I have to go to the ER a time or two! The REAL thing I'm worried about is having my insurance dropped altogether. I am self employed, and it's much harder to be insured when self-employed; you also can be dropped very quickly (sometimes for something as simple as going to a chiropractor).

I know my chance of blockage or other such symptoms may be high, because the real REASON I am overweight is my eating habits. I eat bread bread bread, it's the Italian in me, and I eat fast and in huge bites. I actually never eat fast food, trans fats, I don't drink soda (even diet, aspartame and splenda give me headaches), 90% of my diet is organic, and 95% dairy free...I just eat too much of it. Especially at night. Because of this, I KNOW I wont gain from drinking or ice-creaming my calories, but I might very well get a block/have vomiting issues until I get it under control. What do you guys think (of both things, I suppose).

Oh, and just to add:

1) I am 5'11", 316lbs, I am 27 and have been overweight 19 of those years, obese for 10, morbidly obese for 8. I have done every diet known to man; low calorie, low fat, South Beach, Atkins, Mediterranean, Vegetarian, Vegan (even went RAW vegan for 2 months once), organic, detoxing diets, I've tried taking Orlistat, yadda yadda yadda...nothing has worked for me at all. I just can't stop eating (bread bread bread bread bread)

2) Hi everyone! I'm Steve. =)

I am wondering what happens if I need to go to the emergency room for anything following the surgery, or if there are harmful side effects that have to be taken care of...I assume medical insurance will call this a "non covered pre-existing condition" since the band was done in another country and not covered by the policy; this could get rather costly if I have to go to the ER a time or two! The REAL thing I'm worried about is having my insurance dropped altogether. I am self employed, and it's much harder to be insured when self-employed; you also can be dropped very quickly (sometimes for something as simple as going to a chiropractor).

I know my chance of blockage or other such symptoms may be high, because the real REASON I am overweight is my eating habits. I eat bread bread bread, it's the Italian in me, and I eat fast and in huge bites. I actually never eat fast food, trans fats, I don't drink soda (even diet, aspartame and splenda give me headaches), 90% of my diet is organic, and 95% dairy free...I just eat too much of it. Especially at night. Because of this, I KNOW I wont gain from drinking or ice-creaming my calories, but I might very well get a block/have vomiting issues until I get it under control. What do you guys think (of both things, I suppose).

I'm self employed also and have my own policy. Check with the laws in your state, but here in GA, my insurance company can't cancel me unless I lie to them about something (it's more legalese than that, lol). The only "emergency" situation I had was an unfill and I went to TJ for it so I don't know about if it would cover the ER visit. I would think they probably WOULDN'T, but the worse they could do - at least here - is not pay the bill.

I eat bread all the time too - in fact had some last night. So far, it hasn't been an issue but I don't have a fill yet. I chew, chew, chew though - you will learn very quickly if your band wants you to chew more :)

Oh, and just to add:

1) I am 5'11", 316lbs, I am 27 and have been overweight 19 of those years, obese for 10, morbidly obese for 8. I have done every diet known to man; low calorie, low fat, South Beach, Atkins, Mediterranean, Vegetarian, Vegan (even went RAW vegan for 2 months once), organic, detoxing diets, I've tried taking Orlistat, yadda yadda yadda...nothing has worked for me at all. I just can't stop eating (bread bread bread bread bread)

2) Hi everyone! I'm Steve. =)

Hey, Steve -

I was a self pay, but I have an HMO. I have not told them yet about my band, but will in about

30-40 more pounds. I frankly don't care what they think - they should be grateful that I'm taking

charge of my health - with no help from them! Can't you ask beforehand if it will be a problem?

Is there someone you can call to ask those types of questions?

On the other side of things, as long as you follow the rules, there generally speaking

no complications for most people. I had none - no pain, no problems. Most of the people on this board report the same.

I hope you find out what you're looking for ! Best of luck to you -

Lisa