Pre-op Diet

Hi everyone!

I am going to have my procedure on Sept 13th. I am so excited (and naturally nervous!). I have been waiting to hear from Dr. Miranda (nutritionist) and haven't yet. Can any of the most recently banded (I know there are several of you) tell me if you had all liquids the week before per instruction? I am not over 300 lbs, so I didn't have to lose weight before banding. BUT, I think I have heard comments about liquid the week before. Was this your experience? AND, I will confirm with the clinic.

Thanks,

Leah

My starting weight was 265 with a BMI of 42, I did not have a pre op diet, however Dr. Miranda was not the nutritionalist back in April of 2004 when I had my surgery. At the time I had my surgery I was told that Dr. Ortiz only requires a pre op diet if you have a BMI over 50, but it may be different now.

Hi I was just banded on August 26th, I started at 280 with a BMI of 44, I called Dr. Miranda, but never heard back from her, but when I got their she asked if I was on liquids for the week before, so I think she does want everyone on liquids the week before. But try and get a hold of her and find out for sure.

Melissa :)

Dr. Miranda just emailed me and told me that I needed a liquid diet a week before. I am 268lbs. That is going to be tough. But i'll get through it.

Is anyone here that is getting lap banded in mexico and lives in florida? I need to find someone here in florida to do my fills and I haven't been successful yet. Does anyone have any suggestions? I dont want to fly back and forth to mexico everytime i need a fill. I understand i need to for the first one but after that i would like to get it done here.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if you can get the OptiFast stuff at Walgreens?? Also is it Optifast or Optisource??? They have not indicated that I need to do the diet, but I would like to to prepare myself for surgery and also the whole liquid phase.

Dr. Miranda told me that now EVERYONE has to go on the preop diet, not just those over 300 pounds anymore. I got a high protien/low carb mix from GNC called AMPLIFY. It tastes pretty good, comes in several flavors and I lost 9 pounds before surgery. The only thing I was allowed, from my understanding, was the protien drinks (I had two a day) and clear liquids...broth..jello...sugar free popcicles. She said No yogurt or softie foods. It makes the surgery and recovery much more simple. Really hard to do, but worth it.