Is 'restriction' meaningless until after 4 weeks?

NoWorry

Since I'm on liquids for the first 4 weeks post-op, and liquids are not restricted by the band, am I correct in concluding that there's no way of even knowing what level of restriction you have until after the liquid phase is over?

Since I'm on liquids for the first 4 weeks post-op, and liquids are not restricted by the band, am I correct in concluding that there's no way of even knowing what level of restriction you have until after the liquid phase is over?

There should be no restriction what-so-ever in your band at 4 weeks, unless Dr. Ortiz or a fill Dr. of your choice has filled you at all... You are on liquids to help in the healing process so that the band doesn't slip or have any other problems that are possible... I thought I felt restriction at that point also, but it's not really... Even after my first fill, I was scared to drink too fast and careful about what I would eat (which we should always do anyway), but I didn't even feel restriction until my 3rd fill (I choose to be filled locally rather than to take time off from work to return to TJ)... Good luck to you!

There should be no restriction what-so-ever in your band at 4 weeks, unless Dr. Ortiz or a fill Dr. of your choice has filled you at all... You are on liquids to help in the healing process so that the band doesn't slip or have any other problems that are possible... I thought I felt restriction at that point also, but it's not really... Even after my first fill, I was scared to drink too fast and careful about what I would eat (which we should always do anyway), but I didn't even feel restriction until my 3rd fill (I choose to be filled locally rather than to take time off from work to return to TJ)... Good luck to you!

The following is quoted from Dr. Ortiz's book "LAP-BAND for Life!"

How many fills to get it right?

The standard protocol in the U.S. adopted by most surgeons is a gradual adding of volume. This works well, but the author prefers to get the restriction level to the correct amount as soon as possible. This can be achieved more easily with the aid of fluoroscopy.

Given that you are in Michigan and TJ is such a long haul away, I can certainly see your reasoning for choosing a local doctor for the fills.

am I correct in concluding that there's no way of even knowing what level of restriction you have until after the liquid phase is over?

Again, answering the question YOU posed to the forum...

even after the liquid phase is over, you will have NO restriction in your band...

Good luck to you in your weight loss journey...

kristy

Hi kristy,

my name is rosa, after your third fill did you fill different from 1st and 2nd fill ?? were they all done locally??have you lost more weight since third fill compared to first fill???

I had my first fill 1.4cc two weeks ago have not lost any weight ,fill restriction with certain solids but somewhat bummed that I havent lost more weight..appreciate any feedback

Thanks in advance

redrose