Any Regrets?

I'm trying to get scheduled for the first of December and I want to know if there is anyone out there that is sorry they had the surgery. I am just curious. I will have the surgery anyway but I want to know what others think.

The first couple days after surgery I was a little scared, and wondered if I had done the right thing. The whole process is very emotional because of how drastically your lifestyle changes....especially if you use food as comfort, or a coping mechanism, or even to aleviate boredom. But when you see how your body begins to change...even slowly before your first fill...it all becomes worth it!

Good luck and congratulations on your decision!

bigmamma,

Regrets? I think at this point I am sorry I did not have the regular "stapling" procedure rather than the lapband. Though the experience of the banding iteself was very easy due to the expertise of Dr. O and Dr. M, they fail to supply any post-surgery support. I was banded June 21 and Dr. O insisted I come back to TJ for my first fill so it would be done right. I live in Ohio and this is a big expense and time consumer. But I did it and had my first fill Aug. 6th. It was not restrictive at all. I have not lost a pound since the first 6 weeks. I never have had anything get stuck and do not fill up easily; basically I feel like I did before the band. I cannot find a doctor in Ohio who will do a fill at a resonable price if they will do one at all. $200 for the fill and $1000 for the hospital visit. There needs to be much more focus to patients on the importance of fills to make the band effective. This info was barely mentioned to me prior to surgery; kind of an afterthought. Dr. O is working on a website to find fill doctors throughout the U.S. that he sponsors. It is www.fillcentersusa.com and will solve the fill problem for us who cannot get to TJ as easily as those patients living in California. The website was supposed to be up the end of Sept but has now been pushed to November. So, I wait. If I had the "stapling" procedure, fills would not be an issue and I could be moving forward. Just don't be hasty in thinking the band is the answer; without the fill to keep you restricted, it is of no use at all.

sherylm

Nope...can't say I regret it. My pre-op weight was 285. Surgery was Sept. 14th. I'm now at 254 and my goal is 144. The only thing that has me baffled is that I've stalled out and can't get off of 254, but I know it'll change. It isn't a miracle surgery and you won't be thin overnight. But given time, it will change. (See, I know the answers, but am terribly anxious to see the person I used to be :) ) I wish you the best with it and remember we're all here if ya need a boost of encouragement. (anyway, I've found it to be true when I've needed it :D )