disappointed

I was banded on August 24, 2005. I lost 10 pounds the first week and gained 4 pounds back once I started eating solids. I did not feel any restriction when eating. Finally I had my first fill on Oct. 3 and I lost 4 pounds the first week, again after eating solids I didn't feel any restriction. I ate about the same amount as I did before. I went back for a second fill yesterday. the first fill was 2cc and second fill was 1cc. I feel disappointed with myself. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I hear the stories of people losing 30 and 20 pounds the first two months. Well, I'm close two my second month and have lost a total of 10 pounds. What can I do to lose the weight. My stomach growls all the time from being on the liquid diet after the fill. Does the band really work? :(

I have lost 28 pounds since my banding on sept 21. everyone goes a their own pace. -10 is better than +10 just hang in there! I know how disapointed you are.

What I do since i have no restriction yet is make sure i dont over eat . I estimate what I would be able to eat with a adequate fill and keep it there.. yes i starve but I have always been able to starve off the weight, I was banded to KEEP it off

Bellah what size band do you have? Do you have the band that holds 4cc's or the band that holds 10cc's? That will make a difference in achieving restriction. Since you have 3 cc's and are only 2 months post op it seems you may have the larger band.If you have the larger band it takes more fills to get good restriction..if I'm worng and you have the 4cc band, then I would be concerned...does Dr. Martinez do your fills? Who is your Dr.? Do they do them under fluoro ? Does your Dr. pull out the old saline from the previos fill to make sure all 2ccs was still there to rule out a leak?

I am totally stumped. You have 3 cc's in a 4 cc band and you are eating everything in sight and gaining weight???? How is that possible? Are you following the band rules? Protein first, then veggies, then carbs? Are you drinking with meals?

I am totally stumped. I was definitely able to feel a difference after a fill. And I was FORCED to eat less. Granted, the band doesn't make healthy choices for you but if you make them, it should work.

I disagree, I do not think it is normal when you have your band 75% full.

Was doctor Martinez able to take out all of the 2 cc first fill or were you missing it?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...... tell us what a normal day of meals are for you???

When I had my first fill at 2cc after the third day being off the liquid diet I ate for breakfast two Special K bars nonfat yogurt and a fruit, for lunch I had half a chicken breast half cup steamed rice half cup green beans and small green salad with lite dressing, for dinner I would have tuna sandwich on wheat bread and a fruit. I followed this diet for about a week. That's when I decided to go back and get another fill at 1cc because I was not eating a third of what I used to eat. We'll see what happens on Thursday when I start eating solids again. Dr. Martinez did not remove the 2cc when I went for my second fill, he just added the other fill. Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement, I know it would'nt be easy.

Hmmmm, still stumped. I wish I could help more. All I can do is be supportive of this difficult and frustating time for you. I am sorry you aren't getting the results that you expected. I wish I could be of more help. :(

And I am confused about the fill you got. Dr. Martinez ALWAYS pulls out the old fluid. And I have never heard from anyone he did not. Maybe he just didn't tell you? Heck, I dunno what to say.

:D Do not worry, I am 6 months out of my surgery.... I had my first fill 6 weeks later and didnt feel much restriction and actually gained weight until my second fill a few weeks ago. I am now loosing. The first fill for me was not enough, I had no restriction, the second fill was too tight and lost 7 pounds in three days, the third fill that week (actually took .3 saline out) made all of the difference. I now know what everyone is talking about when they say they feel full, and can only eat a tiny portion. Be patient, you need to find the right fill amount. Michelle has been a godsend and its super to know that THIS WORKS! Be patient - it will work!

Bellah,

I was banded on August 8th and have lost 30 pounds. However, my doctor is keeping me very restricted and trying to pull the weight off rapidly. You need to speak with the doctor who does your fills and let him know how much you are able to eat. My guess is you need more restriction, but you need to ask the doctor about it. I "cannot" eat more than a half cup, and all I can eat is soft foods and my protein drink. I was disappointed and throwing up a lot until he explained to me why he is keeping me so tight. I am never hungry though. I eat soups, yogurt, oatmeal, baked potatoes, etc.

Hang in there and any time you are not sure about something, let the doctor or nurse know about it. You will make it. The band is awesome!

Deb

Bellah, dont get discouraged sometimes all it takes is a small tweak in your fill as little as .2 ccs to feel a difference. I hope this last fil lworked for you and you are on your way to losing! If not then if it were me I would be concerend with a possible leak in my tubing..have you asked Dr. Martinez the probability of this. I'm so suprised to hear he did not pull out all of the previous fill also..he always does for me. Next fill ask him to so you can see for yourself if there is 3 cc's in there.

I just wanted to add that since my second fill, i now feel full much faster. I can say that I am eating half of what I eat before. I feel the restriction now. Its hard to eat tortillas and bread. I have to teach myself to chew my food properly and take small bits. I weighed myself last Thursday and get back on the scale tomorrow. My goal is to lose at least 3 to 5 pounds a week. Is this reasonable? Wish me luck you guys. I guess I wanted to see results much faster because I had the surgery done two months ago and still look and feel the same. Thank you for all your support and advice.

Isabel :D

Bellah, great news, glad ot hear this fill is workingfor you.

A reasonable weight loss for us bansters is 1-3 lbs a week...3-5 lbs a week is a little high, dont want to discourage you but if you set your goals lower and you lose more then great..if not you may get discouraged, remember this is not a race...but a journey. Best of luck to you :)

Hang in there! I had to have a new band, because the other one slipped and the first one never had more than 2 cc in it and I had a lot of restriction. This band has 4 cc and just now feeling the restriction. I know it is discouraging but hang in there it will get better. Be sure to have you Dr. pull out each time to make sure you do not have a leak...I had to have a port replaced because it was leaking. Good luck!!!

Okay, so I weighed myself again today... and gained 1 pound. What am I doing wrong? Isn't the scale supppost to go down every week and stop gaining weight since I now fell the restriction? I don't drink after I eat and I know for a fact that I'm not overeating at all. I feel so discouraged. I am not truly seeing the results I expected. I am very disappointed with the band. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

:o Bellah,

I am new to this post. I have not been banded yet, but have been researching this procedure for the last year and a half while I've been locked in an uphill insurance battle. I am considering having Dr. Ortiz place my lap band.

I just wanted to say that it is possible that you didn't see the Dr. remove the orig. 2 cc's, but it is also possible that your port/tubing might be leaking. I have a friend who just had to have her port replaced because it was leaking and wasn't keeping her restricted. I would suggest, if you have a local MD that does fills, that you see them and have them remove the saline and make sure they get 4cc's back. If not, you might have a leak. NOT to scare you, but this could be a solution to the issue.

Also.......and I apologize for the dreaded question.....what are your exercise habits?

Just curious? Exercise could be the key to kicking up your metabolism!

Anyway, good luck with your band and hang in there.

Tamara B)