I'm eroded

Well it is official..I had an endo yesterday and my band has eroded. I eroded between July 17th when I had my last fill and Nov 21 yesterday when I had my endo. Having my band removed Monday Nov 28th.

Listen up my friends..I do not want sympathy. I have come to terms with this. I am at peace. I cried when I got home but after a good cry I realized how lucky I have been..I am so grateful for the 104 lbs I have lost with my band. I lost more then 60% of my weight with the band unlike the statistics claim . I used my head an did not rely on my band for all of it. I had only 1.5 cc's in my band I did alot of it on my own. My band did it's job, now it is time for me to walk the rest of this journey alone without my band but still with all of you. I met my original weight loss goal by losing 104 lbs so if I never lose another lb ..I'm happy. Dont get me wrong this will be tough and I'm scared to be without my band but my OCD will get me through ..I know I will channel my OCD into not gaining this weght back.

I will not gain this weight back!!!

A word of advice for those of you struggling..get your head out of your ass and use this tool the best you can. Get a grip on those mental demons.dont let head hunger get the best of you ..I am so fortunate to have had the success I had but other who are as far out post op as Iam may not have had such great success so I tell you from the bottom of my heart, lose as much weight as you can while you still have your band...dont mess around with this..Erosion can happen to any of you regardless if you follow the rules and are a perfect bandster at any time .I truly believe it is higher then 1-3%, just my opinion. To let you all know I had zero symptoms other then a gassy trummy which is from my gastritis. I have great restriction. I lost 10 lbs in October . As far as getting a new band in 5-6 months, I can not answer that at this time

Thanks to all of you for all of the support you have given me..I'm still going to be around here and help others the best I can and offer support to any of you who need it

Oh my gosh! I am shocked. Completely jaw dropped shocked. Did you know this was happening and just didn't tell us? I know you don't want sympathy, and I won't give it to you. You didn't do this by the band, you lost the weight because you needed and wanted to! And you can CONTINUE to do so!

Stay strong Michelle!!

I know you don't want sympathy but I am sorry you have to go through this. You have such a postive attitude, I'm sure that will help you through this. Good luck to you!

Your positive attitude is wonderful. I wish you the best of luck. Can you tell me why they cannot just take the band out and put the new one on, please. There is so little knowledge on the band long term. I am interested to know as much as possible. Do they know what causes band erosion?

Thanks, and Blessings,

Deby

I'm sorry to hear about the erosion. Does the OCCenter take any responsibility for this? Or is it just, sorry about your luck? Is the removal surgery costly? You might know one of the most successful people would develop this problem. Hopefully you have learned a new way to eat. Thanks for the wake up call. I am 6 weeks post op and have gained back what I lost. I get my first fill 12/03/05.

• 2 weeks later...

HI Shell. I visited this board about 2 months ago and was so impressed with your success. I wanted to be as successful as you have been. About 4 days ago I made the decision to call the doctor and start the banding process.

I'm quite concerned now about erosion. I have been reading so many messages written from folks who have been so succesful, losing over a hundred pounds, then erosion happens. I know that nobody can predict if it will happen to them and what puzzles me the most is why does it take so long for the body to figure out that it shouldn't be there? That may be a silly question.

I hope your weight loss journey continues and the weight stays off.

I have been researching erosion and all the articles I have read state that the regular use of aspirin and/or Ibuprophen are leading causes of erosion and use should be limited :o . I can state for myself and my sister (we both have been banded) that at no time did Dr. Ortiz/Dr. Martinez or any of their staff ever mention anything like this to us nor was it in any of the paper work given to us. Did you have regular use of aspririn/Ibuprofen? <_<

In the 19 months I had my band. I NEVER took Ibprofen or aspirin, I never drank carbonation. I was the PERFECTbandster and followed all of the rules. There is no exact reason for erosion, it is a matter of some ones body rejecting a foreign object over a period of time. It can happen to any one of us. I was just one of the unfortunate ones, but fortunately enough for mne I had great success with my band. I would of been devastated to lose my band to erosion had I not been so successful, if my weight loss was minimal. This is why I can not tell you all enough, work with your band, use your head, lose as much weight as you can because you never know if you will be one of those unlucky ones who erodes.

You are very brave to go through the surgery at a young age - and i think everyone has been scared of different things. Can you tell us what you are scared of in particular? If it's erosion - we are all scared of that but you can see that some people do fine after that is taken care of, some people even get a band again and it doesn't happen very often. I wish I had the band when i was younger because it was no fun growing up fat as i was often teased, never liked buying clothes and didn't like myself very much. Try to follow the doctor's instructions 100% and focus on the positive things and changes that are happening to you and I know you can be successful. Good luck and hang in there - maybe talk to your mom and see how she is feeling too.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been interviewing doctors (3 by now in MX but not Dr Oertiz yet) and they all told me that the NSAIDs were dangerous to the stomach and should be avoided. Does Dr Ortiz not believe that? (A post above said he didn't tell people that) or is this new information? or ? I have to taske Bextra for my knees. Just trying to learn.. thank you Mary

Shell, I'm so sorry for your erosion I know you don't want that from all of us but your going to get it. you have been are rock of hope down this bumpy path we have all taken you have given us advise wether it be bad or good. Sometimes it was things that we didn't always want to hear, but it was honest and very helpful advice. You will get through this because you are a very strong person. And because you have learned to live as a bandster just because the band is gone you are still going to have the knowledge of what the band did for you, and you have your bandster family here to walk with you and hold your hand just as you have did for us. I do have a question if you don't mind. Do you have to pay to have the band removed and what are your options for getting another band when it is time will you have to pay for it as well.

• 4 weeks later...
Angie, thanks for your kind words..

They are appreciated.

TO answer your question, Yes I did have to pay to have the band removed and Yes I will have to pay for it again if I want another one.

1869[/snapback]

Do you have insurance? Won't they pay for any of it?

Wow best of luck!!