Highly discouraged and newly banded

Hi, I was banded on 1-3-06 and i feel like my appitite is huge. I cant stand the protien shakes and so there for my calorie intake is low. the first week i lost 15 pounds then i put 3 back on and last week i lost nothing!!!!! Yesterday I decided to eat a scoop of ice cream and the scale now says ive gained 4 pounds. I feel like Im going crazy. Any time I try to exercise I have sharp shooting pain at my port site and it hurts. I am getting very discouraged and wonder if i did the right thing? Can someone help me please? :(

Kristen

Kristen, Get ready to be patient. I'm learning this is a process, not an instant cure.The first 6 weeks is only for healing. Most people don't have restriction after the swelling goes down. It can be discouraging but you have to watch what you eat. After your first fill hopefully what you can eat will be restricted. Hang in there.

Hi:

I was banded on January 10/06, I have been on the lovely liquid part and I want to shoot myself :rolleyes: , I am sick of soup, the thought of having it for one more meal and I want to scream, does anyone out there have any other idea's for me as far as luquid food? I cant wait for this part to be over, I have lost 16 pounds in a week and a bit but I really need some help with different idea's with the luquids.

Sherri

Kristen, take a deep breath and relax.,..it is very normal for your weight to fluctuate during the first 6 weeks. The first 6 weeks is about healing and not weight loss, any weight lost during this time is a bonus, remember the band is designed to work best when it is filled and since you have no fill it is quite normal to gain a few lbs here and there. Once you start getting your fills and feel restriction you will begin to see what the band is all about. This is not a race but more of a journey, there wil lbe times you lose and times you dont, the key to all ofthis is patience patience patience....one piece of advice I can give you ...stay off the scale. I only weigh once a week. Do not let the numbers on the scale dictate your success or failures withyour band. When you are in the phase of not losing pounds, think of all of the NSV's ( non scale victories) you have achieved. such as havingg more energy, clothes fitting looser, no pian in back or joints,, the little things. Do not get doscouraged..it will happen. Good luck and hang in there

• 2 weeks later...

Kristen...you are doing better then most people so please realize that. Also, you have barely just started the process so do not get discouraged at this point. This is not going to be an instant gratification kind of process.

My weight loss is slow but I haven't gained any weight back and I have stopped eating crappy food because I just can't eat it anymore. I have lost 22 lbs but have gone from a size 22 to a size 16. I have lost more inches then pounds. That is much better to me than the number on the scale. I also have gained the confidence to throw out ALL of my FATTY GIRL clothes as I get to the next size down because I know I will never be that size again. That to me is the most valuable result.

There are so many different benefits that we receive from this procedure and it always takes awhile to realize them. I hope you had a picture and your measurements taken before your surgery. These are great motivators when the scale doesn't move. IF you haven't done this yet...do it now! It will help you after you get your first fill. Trust me on this one.

Good Luck!